Part of bond not returned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part of bond not returned

Hello everyone. Here is my story. When I moved out of the flat I rented (3d Nov) the manager of the property paid me a visit and said that the flat was ok in condition. He said he would post a cheque to my new address.I stayed at some friends until the 25th of Nov and then I left the Uk. Before that I called him twice and asked him about the bond and he told me not to worry. Just before I left I called him and gave him my bank account so he could deposit the money. Being outside of the uk i couldnt check the balance of my account until recently when i started web banking and then I realised he had deposited only 365 out of 500 pounds. I called him and he said "it looks like the room wasn't found in the best condition." I know some devices didn't work (like a heating unit) but that's the way I found it when I came. Otherwise the flat was in good condition. Anyway I asked for a detailed file of the damages sent to me, but he doesn't seem trustworthy."
    What do you think I should do in case I don't hear from him?

Do you have his address? Sounds to me as if he is taking advantage because you left the country. Did you sign a fully detailed inventory at the commencement of the tenancy? And he legally must supply you with all receipts for any work/items charged for.
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Joint tenancy - end fixed term
      Nottinverno
      Hello,

need some advice, please, I'm getting mad at this.

I have a joint tenancy, renting a flat through an agency with other 2 people, ending end January.
      I have decided to move out and I gave my notice (to both the agency and my flatmates) last end November, however...
      09-01-2018, 14:29 PM
    • Reply to Joint tenancy - end fixed term
      KTC
      Ask the solicitor for their interpretation of section 5(5)(b) of the Housing Act 1988 regarding giving a notice to quit on the first day of the statutory periodic tenancy.
      19-01-2018, 22:54 PM
      Nottinverno
      Oh nono, I have to leave at the end of Feb. I have already moved forward my move and luckily the new landlord is flexible, but I can't stay other 2 months in my current place.
      It really seems that as soon as the periodic roll starts I can serve 1 month notice, so by end Feb I should be able to...
      19-01-2018, 22:48 PM
    • Payment Break
      OlliesDad
      I have a great long-term tenant who, along with her husband and daughter has been with me for nearly 5 years. Unfortunately the husband has done the dirty and left leaving her with nothing but debts. Her finances are in a mess and she has said she may need to move in with family whilst she sorts herself...
      18-01-2018, 21:27 PM
    • Reply to Payment Break
      royw
      You have a good tenant and if it were me I'd be looking for ways to keep her rather than evict her. Might be worth having a chat and find out how much she can afford now and in the long-term. If she can afford it on her own once the debts are cleared possibly offer her a reduced rent for a year equivalent...
      19-01-2018, 22:26 PM
    • Tenants not vacated at check-out
      tatemono
      Had a lovely young couple with a baby in our property for about 8 months, they gave notice to leave as he'd moved out after they split up and she couldn't afford rent. Sad situation for them. Property has been on market since.

Anyway, yesterday our very competent and well-trusted long-standing...
      09-01-2018, 08:58 AM
    • Reply to Tenants not vacated at check-out
      KTC
      If it were a notice to quit given during a periodic tenancy, as opposed to an agreement with the landlord during the fixed term, then tenancy has ended. Validity of a notice to quit does not depend on whether the tenant follow up and acting in accordance to it. A notice to quit is not a notice of intention....
      19-01-2018, 22:20 PM
    • Reply to Tenants not vacated at check-out
      buzzard1994
      But the notice wasn't valid because the tenant did not give up possession. The notice is an intention to end the tenancy but the tenant remains in possession so they did not end the tenancy. If it was the end of a fixed term that would be different....
      19-01-2018, 22:06 PM
      KTC
      Just serve your own notice and leave them to it. Wish them good luck if either one tries to sue you for rent etc.

Having said that, I'm not totally sure about my previous advice that you can give notice on the first day of the periodic tenancy, so if you want to be safe, give notice after...
      19-01-2018, 21:53 PM
    • Tenant paying rent erratically after section 21 notice. Best course of action?
      Flipjango
      We had tenants move in on a 12 month AST with a 6 month break clause on 10th August 2017. Less than two months into their tenancy the tenants (a couple) split up and one tenant moved out. Tenant 1 (the one who moved out) continued to pay his share of the rent, (if rather erratically and late, and with...
      18-01-2018, 20:42 PM
    Working...
    X