Charging extra £7/day if T's 'guest stays for 2 weeks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging extra £7/day if T's 'guest stays for 2 weeks?

Hi everyone!

I was told a week ago, via text, that 'Tenant X' is planning on having her mother stay with her for 2 weeks. I sent her a text back stating that although guests are allowed to stay for a few days, staying for 2 weeks would require that her mother pay an extra fee. I told her that this would amount to only £7/day, and that she would not have to pay for any of the bills.

Now, a week later, i've just had a conversation over the phone with 'Tenant X', and she doesnt seem to be very happy with my request & is not willing to pay the amount. I was just wondering whether others think my request was unreasonable, as the mother seems to be using all the facilities in the house fully (cooking, clothes washing etc). I even told her that compared with what her mother would have to pay if she had stayed in a hotel, £7 was very little to ask!

Background: My sister is currently living in the same household as a tenant, and it seems that there is a lot of confusion. The other tenants seem to have told 'Tenant X' that they are allowed to keep guests over for two weeks - i have no idea how they came up with that! Also, I visited the property 3 days after 'Tenant X's' mother arrived to see my sister. As Tenant X did not say anything to me regarding her mothers rent, i assumed that she had no problems with it.

The property is a large 5 bedroom house, with 'Tenant X' sharing her double room with her sister, and now, with her mother.

so, what do you all think? reasonable or not?

Let me know!

Thanks, Henna

I am really confused!

Whose house is it? In other words, who is the landlord? How many 'tenants' are there and which ones are related to the landlord?

Does the landlord live in the house with the tenants, or somewhere else? If she does live iwith them, then they probably aren't tenants, but lodgers. This makes a difference to whether it is reasonable to charge them £7 a day to have a visitor stay. The other factor is what, if anything, their lodger's/tenancy agreement says on the subject.

Please clarify.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

clarifying a few points...

Oh! sorry!

I am the landlady, but do not live there myself. In fact, it takes me 2 hours to get there, so i dont get to visit my sister very much. My sister, who is a student, is the only family member that is renting out a room. There are 5 other tenants renting the house on a room to room basis.

I have re-checked the contract but there is nothing there to back my payment request. However, clause 1.9 does state that tenants are not allowed to 'assign, sublet, charge, or part with or share possession or occupation of the property'. Also, with each new tenant, i made it clear that guests were allowed to stay, but for no more than 3 days. This was a verbal agreement, but it seems as though i'll have to add it to the agreement next time!

Henna

Comment

Originally posted by Henna View Post
        Oh! sorry!

I am the landlady, but do not live there myself. In fact, it takes me 2 hours to get there, so i dont get to visit my sister very much. My sister, who is a student, is the only family member that is renting out a room. There are 5 other tenants renting the house on a room to room basis.

I have re-checked the contract but there is nothing there to back my payment request. However, clause 1.9 does state that tenants are not allowed to 'assign, sublet, charge, or part with or share possession or occupation of the property'. Also, with each new tenant, i made it clear that guests were allowed to stay, but for no more than 3 days. This was a verbal agreement, but it seems as though i'll have to add it to the agreement next time!

Henna
        IN that case I think they are indeed tenants. Do they each have a separate AST, or is it a joint one?

Either way, I think you are pushing it a bit to insist that someone's mother pays £7 per day to stay as a visitor. Presumably it is the tenants who pay the utility bills - they need to sort out between them what they are happy with and where they draw the line. It is their home, not yours. Personally, I don't think it is unreasonable for a tenant to have a guest for two weeks. If you feel very strongly about it, you should write it into the agreement, but you are laying yourself open to all kinds of grievance.

It seems unfair to say 'up to three days is OK, but two weeks is not. You could get one tenant who has a stream of visitors for 3 days at a time, totalling more days over the year than another tenant who has one visitor for 2 weeks.

Don't go there!
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Personally I think you are a money grabbing excuse for a landlord who just wants to take an opportunity of squeezing some more money out of your customers.

I assume you have a mortgage on your property and/or you pay council tax - would you like either your mortgagees or local authority to start demanding more money if a relative comes to stay for a week or two?

Assigning and subletting are a world apart from one person visiting another without gaining any rights to the tenancy or licence and to my mind forbidding short stay guests is an unfair contract term.

In my agreements it is spelt out thart the tenant may have short stay guests subject to the house not being overcrowded. Your terms limit that to three days which I also think is an unfair term.

Comment

I think it has to be a question of degree. Two weeks does not sound unreasonable.

Comment

Yes, on reflection I agree with djb - it could well be an unenforceable term.

This is the first time I have ever come across a LL who is not resident trying to do this.

Comment

haha! I am NOT a 'money-grabbing' landlady!

But to be fair, i appreciate you all taking the time to give your opinions... keep them coming!

Henna

Comment

I would not do this - I cannot understand why anyone would ask for a payment such as this. Let it drop and learn from it.
                  Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by Henna View Post
                    haha! I am NOT a 'money-grabbing' landlady!

But to be fair, i appreciate you all taking the time to give your opinions... keep them coming!
                    OK, here's mine - I think you're a money-grabbing landlady...

I think the only justification you might have in charging for this is if you were responsible for paying the utility bills: you aren't, so you don't.

Comment

£7 is cheap. Where else can you get a BB for that price or even just a bed?
                      ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Originally posted by Paragon View Post
                        £7 is cheap. Where else can you get a BB for that price or even just a bed?
                        Why - how much do your friends charge you to visit them?!

Comment

Personally I would let it drop and wouldn't consider charging anyone anything if family/friend came to stay. If it was a 'long term' arrangement e.g they stayed on for weeks on end then you would have to say something.

On this occasion I think it's nice of the tenant to actually inform you their Mother was coming to stay in the first place! (though this could be as your sister stays in same house you'd have known about it anyway!)

Come on you are renting on a room by room basis your quids in anyway compared to 1 family/person renting house as a whole!!!

Comment

In this situation it always useful to have 'house-rules' so that all possibilities are covered in advance and nobody ends up getting 'the hump'.

House guests must be a regular occurance in many multi-occupation households. It would be fair for people who have regular stop-overs in excess of the other tenants, to contribute a higher amount to the utility bills when paid for by the tenants. Also that, excessive inconvenience regarding access to bathroom and kitchen buy those guests, be minimised to the tenants.

Does any one know of any good house rules?

The OP may want to consider her sister as a resident landlord; that way, her sister gets to call the shots. The occupiers pay her rent, she then pays you.
                            All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

All sorted....

Hello all!

Thank you all for your suggestions. However, i'm afraid i couldnt bring myself to back down this once - especially after being told earlier this evening by 'Tenant X' that her mother would actually be staying for a month instead! That seemed to be a little too long... In fact, what i hadnt mentioned earlier was that this extra fee was put in place as a deterrent (i.e. for those guests that planned on overexercising their 'right' - the fee would have been payable after 3 days), rather than a 'money-grabbing' scheme . Nevertheless, you all seemed to be nagging at my conscience, so i told 'Tenant X' that her mother would only be paying for two weeks of her stay (thats just over £3/day!). She accepted, and thankfully i'm now back in her good books!

Henna

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X