Vetting a self-employed tenant - best way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vetting a self-employed tenant - best way?

Hi.
    After 2 disastrous experiences with tenants acquired thru E/Agents, ive decided to find a tenant privately for a change.
    I have a prospective self-employed tenant with his own small IT business, and would like to do the relevant credit checks.
    Does anyone else have any good suggestions/tips for the quickest/most reliable way to do this?

1. Is it sufficient to use Experian, or should i pay a fee and use an 'agency'?
    2. Am i within my rights to refuse to take a tenant on the basis of him being self-employed, or is this 'discriminatory'?
    3. Can anyone recommend any good companies who provide 'rent indemnity' insurance for self-employed tenants?
    4. Is there any way i can check the financial status of my tenants company?

Thanks for any tips anyone can provide!

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Inherited a few rentals
    by Flashback1966
    With regards to keep or sell. Those 4 properties are not just assets, but you need to see them as say children, which need looking after. You can't switch off because you are busy. It is 24/7 responsibility, as you are responsible for the property and the health and safety of the people living. If...
    26-01-2022, 14:23 PM
  • Inherited a few rentals
    by Landlord7289
    Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
    25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
    by Flashback1966
    Almost anything beats working for a living.

Running a portfolio is just as demanding and stressful. If someone worked in an office, it is a 9 to 5 job. Their taxes are paid by their employer.

Running a portfolio of properties, can be demanding. Even with agents in place....
    26-01-2022, 13:46 PM
    by jpkeates
    Almost anything beats working for a living.

Becoming a landlord because you've inherited some property makes about as much sense as inheriting several cars and setting up a taxi business.
    26-01-2022, 13:19 PM
    by theartfullodger
    Well, unless one was a masocist. Been retired 14 years now, those memories of work fading also....
    26-01-2022, 12:53 PM
  • Reply to Renting process
    by theartfullodger
    Very true, becoming more common I hear....
    26-01-2022, 12:51 PM
  • Renting process
    by Smudge
    Hi all. So im going through the process of renting a house. Arranged a viewing with the landlord, said i would like to rent and go to next step. LL said letting agent would be in touch i was told to fill in a APPLICATION which was just very basic info. Personal details landlord ref and work info etc....
    25-01-2022, 18:16 PM
  • Reply to Renting process
    by DPT57
    Or a scammer!
    26-01-2022, 12:42 PM
    by Turbine Terry
    Yes, perhaps my implication that landlording was "joyful" was a bit of a stretch. Joyful was not the best choice of word to use to describe being a landlord. IMO it's more often than not still better than doing a 'proper' job though ...
    26-01-2022, 12:04 PM
    by islandgirl
    Excellent post from TT above - I vote for lots more thinking and planning rather than a knee jerk "sell". The OP may wish to increase the portfolio and look to retire early from his job - who knows what the full picture is? There may be long term tenants who are no problem and a good agency...
    26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
Working...
X