Ladyh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ladyh

Hi, wondered if anyone can help with a situation I have with a short let tenancy.

I discovered the tenants have not paid the rent for the month of June yesterday. I manage to speak to her at 3.00 pm and she has assured me the money will be in my account next week which I said was fine. However, I am slightly concerned as their renewal for the contract was up on 25th June and to date I have not received any signed copies of the short let contract sent back to me. Should I be concerned at this point? I texted the tenant yesterday after speaking to her to ask which date the money would be in my account as I have to inform the bank as to why some of my other expenses have bounced back due to lack of funds in my account. The tenant said she would get back to me in the evening but did not do so. At lunch time today I tried calling but she is avoiding my calls. I also texted her but she has not replied. I am feeling slightly anxious as to why she would be doing this. I hear many horror stories about not being able to evict tenants from a property, would this still be the case if they have not returned the contract to me and would I need a court order to get them out of my property. I'm not sure what the next steps would be so if someone could help with my query it would be much appreciated.

Ladyh

How long was the original tenancy agreement?

Is it an assured shorthold tenancy?

Is the property in England/Wales
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

To Bel

Thank you for getting back to me so soon with your questions. In answer to them:

- The original agreement was for six months.
      - It is an assured shorthold tenancy agreement.
      - The property is in England.

Since our last contact the tenant has finally come back to me. She says the rent will be paid into my account by next Wednesday and the contract is in the post (I guess I'll have to wait and see). In addition I am now concerned as to how she will pay this month's rent as her circumstances will not have changed by the next rent due date (in three weeks time) and I fear a recurring problem and the possibility of facing bank charges yet again if I don't make provisions for her lack of funds.

Many thanks for your advice.

Comment

Even if she does not return your contact, the tenancy would go on as a periodic tenancy, month by month until T serves a valid notice to quit or you serve a section 21 notice and she then vacates.

As she may now have signed, you will be likely to both be bound for the new fixed term of the contract.

You need to try and get to the bottom of what is happening, but it is usual for tenants to go a quiet when they are having problems. You could try a letter to say that she is owing x much and you want to see if there is some way you can help if she can let you know her situation, or if she doesnt get back to you , you will be serving her notice to quit within x days

You dont want to be stuck with somebody who will not pay, so better you work it out

SO if she continues to mount arrears and there are at least 2months rent due, you may wish to serve her a section 8 notice to quit, or you could start court procedings just for the money she owes you. If she has not signed the new agreement you could serve a section 21 notice to quit ; if it goes to court, it could be quicker to get possession with section 21 .

In this situation a good agent would be worth their money if you ared not experienced. I think you need to do a lot of reading around the subject, or get advice from a solicitor. Its so easy to make mistakes with serving notices.
        All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Flat rental bathroom query
          by Landyman
          Are you saying that the toilet and basin are out in the open, adjacent to the kitchen? Or are they in a separate room?

Does the room have a window? Or a fan ventilator?

It's had to visualise exactly what you mean. Could you sketch a simple floorplan and upload that here p...
          16-01-2022, 23:47 PM
        • Flat rental bathroom query
          by NewGuyOne
          Hello,

A rented flat with a toilet (of course) and basin next to the kitchen, and a bedroom with a quite small en suite - shower/basin/rail for towel ... Is this acceptable in a flat - with no additional separate bathroom?

Flat consists of 1 bedroom en suite, hallway, lounge,...
          16-01-2022, 20:13 PM
        • Reply to Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
          by axil23
          Thank you Lawcruncher.

Just so I am not reading the lease wrong. Executed as a deed means that it has to say that and be witnessed by a 3rd party right?...
          16-01-2022, 23:23 PM
        • Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
          by axil23
          I have rented my house to a {name removed} who use it to house Asylum seekers from a govt contract. In June the flat roof developed a leak and they asked me to fix it which I did the next day. 6 months later I get a bill for £1900 for scaffolding, asbestos survey, party wall agreement & for some...
          13-01-2022, 12:05 PM
        • surrender of lease charges
          by jshire
          Hi,
          I'm trying to assist a family member who is in the process of surrendering a lease on a shared flat (all tenants moving out). The landlord agreed as the reasons were reasonable. He's sent an email stating that there will be costs that the tenants have to meet, charged by the letting agent...
          16-01-2022, 20:49 PM
        • Reply to Gas certificate fail
          by MdeB
          But if you had a valid certificate when the tenancy started but failed to give it to the tenant, then I believe that providing them with a current certificate before serving S21 will be OK....
          16-01-2022, 20:30 PM
        • Gas certificate fail
          by ReginaPhalangi
          We've been renting out our property since 2017 and now have given notice to our tenants to leave. However we have just realised that we have failed to get a gas certificate during their tenancy. Is it possible to get the gas certificate now? Would we need to give notice again after we issue the gas...
          15-01-2022, 20:05 PM
        • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
          by MdeB
          There are a number (of the order of 20) of grounds under which possession can be sought. See the Housing Act 1988.

The claim is for the period for which they were paying rent whilst there was no required licence in place, up to a maximum of 12 months. Getting a licence ends...
          16-01-2022, 19:32 PM
        • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
          by MdeB
          That depends on when the tenancy started.

Or, possibly, the one in place when it is given to the tenant. The regulations are ambiguous...
          16-01-2022, 19:18 PM
        • Reply to Wales: New Legislation – your roles and responsibilities
          by steaming
          4. Antisocial behaviour…..a fair and consistent approach to everyone. No. 4 is then not mentioned in the extended information (click link). Surely this needs explaining in detail or, maybe, they haven’t actually thought further that the nine words used. No surprise.
          16-01-2022, 19:17 PM
        Working...
        X