Moving from premises1 to premises2- but latter's not ready

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Moving from premises1 to premises2- but latter's not ready

    Hi all, hope someone can give me some guidance.

    I'm due to move into a rented property next week. I've paid a full deposit and month's rent in advance, but agreed to sign the contract with the letting agent on the day.

    The agency now report that the property won't be ready in time for me to move in. They seem reputable, and I am sure that my money is save, but where do I stand legally on claiming compensation for having to find somewhere else until this place is ready?

    #2
    Why do you need to find somewhere else in the meantime? Where are you living at present?

    Comment


      #3
      I've given notice on my current place and new tenants are moving in. I'm not prepared to stay beyond my contract, that landlord has always been very fair to me - but I don't see why I should be out of pocket when the new landlord is unable to agree his side of the deal

      Comment


        #4
        Do you have anything in writing to porve the LL promised you the property on x date? If you have not signed the contract yet, I think you will struggle to get any money out of the LL/agent for the inconvenience.

        How long are they talking about?

        If you cannot stay with a friend or relative for a few nights, I think you are going to have to budget for a B & B, Travelodge, Youth Hostel, or somewhere. You might be able to negotiate a contribution from the LL for the cost of accommodation (and storage?) but don't hold your breath. It might be worth puttng it in writing to LL how unimpressed you are, and that if he cannot give you a firm date for move-in WHICH IS CORRECT, then you will have to look elsewhere. This might galavise him into action.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

        Comment


          #5
          I think you should find a way of making sure you are not out of pocket. The simplest way of not losing out is to remain in your existing rented property or shack up with friends/family. Claiming compensation could turn into a long-drawn out legal battle. Is that what you want?

          Try asking your new landlord what the delay is. Who knows, maybe they've had an emergency and are desperately trying to resolve the matter as we speak. Or worse, maybe they have an existing tenant who is refusing to move and causing damage.

          Comment


            #6
            I think it could be another tennant refusing to go - it sounds like weeks rather than days.

            I do have an email from the agent confirming the moving in date and time, along with a list of jobs that would be completed by moving in.

            I appreciate that a deposit isn't binding but thought I read somewhere that acceptance of a rental payment instigates a contractal agreement between T&L ?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Poppy View Post
              I think you should find a way of making sure you are not out of pocket. The simplest way of not losing out is to remain in your existing rented property or shack up with friends/family. Claiming compensation could turn into a long-drawn out legal battle. Is that what you want?

              Try asking your new landlord what the delay is. Who knows, maybe they've had an emergency and are desperately trying to resolve the matter as we speak. Or worse, maybe they have an existing tenant who is refusing to move and causing damage.
              In which case the delay will not be short and it would probably be best to find a new property to move in to.

              Comment

              Latest Activity

              Collapse

              Working...
              X