Notice for rental arrears on a periodic tenancy

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Notice for rental arrears on a periodic tenancy

    Hi all,

    I am letting a property under an AST and the initial 12 month fixed term has now expired. My tenant is over £900 in arrears, however, despite her continually missing or paying rent late, less than 2 months rent is owed as she receives Housing Benefit which is paid directly to me. She is also not keeping the property in a good state of repair.

    I would like to regain possession asap and try to reclaim arrears and damages and wonder if someone can advise me on the following:

    1) Given it is a periodic tenancy, can I only serve a Section 21 notice?
    2) If it is valid to also serve S.8, can I use grounds 8 for rent arrears (given she is 2 months behind in terms of her share of the rent)?
    3) The deposit is held in a Deposit Protection Service - will I be allowed to retain this as payment towards rental arrears (as well as damages)?

    Many thanks in advance!

    You can serve a S8 notice under grounds 10 which is discretionary - ie Judge may or may not allow it.

    If she is not 2 months behind ie missed two payments then no you cannot serve this notice although if the arrears amount to more than 2 months then obviously you can.

    You then put an applicaiton to recieve the entirity of the rent deposit back and your tenant is allowed to appeal against it if necessary.
    [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]


      I would issue an s.21 as well so at least you get possesssion in case the s.8 doesn't work. You can chase the money later if you think you will get it.
      Mrs Jones
      I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!


        Thanks for the replies.

        I was confused with the wording on the S8 notice and wanted to check it was ok to use for a periodic tenancy...
        "Do not use this form if possession is sought on the "shorthold" ground under section 21 of the Housing Act 1988 from an assured shorthold tenant where the fixed term has come to an end"

        As it's fine, I'll issue both an S21 and S8 and hopefully get her out sooner.

        Many thanks


          If you go to court on the section 8 notice then make sure the court order specifies the deposit should be used towards the arrears or The DPS will not pay you the money, even on the court order.


            As housing benefit is paid direct to you, remember that this arrives in arrears, so when it is owed according to the tenancy but not paid because the LA pay in arrears it can still count towards the arrears.

            You may want to consider that a HB tenant, where the rent is being paid directly to you is a safer bet than risking a void while you find a new tenant. A new tenant could be someone employed who could lose their job or who could want to claim and then you'll be in an arrears situation again.

            However galling it is to put up with the arrears, it is a secure income if the council are paying you direct.


              Thanks they're both good tips.

              It does seem unfair that you can't retain the full deposit automatically to offset arrears. I certainly won't see it again if I have to claim it back retrospectively, so I hope it remains in the DPS whilst in dispute.

              Point taken on HB payments being guaranteed. But I'm only getting 2/3 of the official rent whilst she's running my property down, so better out I think.


                Originally posted by David TFP View Post
                If you go to court on the section 8 notice then make sure the court order specifies the deposit should be used towards the arrears or The DPS will not pay you the money, even on the court order.
                Are you saying the DPS will not release the deposit to the landlord if rent is legally owed by the tenant but there are no damages at the end of the tenancy?


                  Originally posted by MrJohnnyB View Post
                  You can serve a S8 notice under grounds 10 which is discretionary - ie Judge may or may not allow it.
                  AND ground 11 (persistent late payment).
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).


                  Latest Activity


                  • Reply to Renewing a tenancy - should I also renew the inventory/condition report?
                    by CStevens
                    Yes it is possible to do that and i would suggest in this case you have to do it. Having said that, if you grant them a further 2 years the place is not going to get any better so why dont you suggest to the tenant that you are happy to grant a further 2 years on the proviso that they first do 'x,y,z'...
                    27-05-2022, 06:24 AM
                  • Renewing a tenancy - should I also renew the inventory/condition report?
                    by bagus
                    After landlording for many years, this is the first time I've been in this situation. Most of my tenants are now on SPTs, which seems to work well for both parties.

                    However, a family living in one of my houses asked initially for a 2 year contract, because they were looking to adopt a second...
                    25-05-2022, 17:18 PM
                  • Reply to Tenancy Agreement Help
                    by jpkeates
                    Hopefully, the guarantor agreement is a deed (and not part of the AST).

                    At witness can be anyone, but a connected witness is less than ideal, particularly for something being signed remotely.
                    The idea is for it to be as difficult as possible for someone to forge the “guarantor”s...
                    27-05-2022, 06:21 AM
                  • Tenancy Agreement Help
                    by Harrison38784
                    Hi all,

                    I am a new landlord and looking for some help with the AST.

                    I have created a tenancy agreement which is now ready for signing.

                    The tenancy agreement is due to start on the 1st July.

                    Can the tenancy agreement be signed before the move in...
                    26-05-2022, 18:02 PM
                  • Reply to Special clauses
                    by CStevens
                    i am not sure why you would insert a break clause on those terms as that is exactly what you will be able to do if you grant a 6 month AST anyway so why not just do that?

                    You don't have to provide a shower or maintain one but you do have to provide sanitation facilities so if there is a...
                    27-05-2022, 06:21 AM
                  • Special clauses
                    by Harrison38784
                    Hi All,

                    I want to add the following break clause into my AST, but I’m wondering if I do so, do I also need to give my tenant also a break clause?

                    ‘The Landlord may terminate this agreement by giving the Tenant not less than 2 months' written notice expiring [on or at any...
                    26-05-2022, 18:16 PM
                  • Reply to Ending contract with letting agent
                    by jpkeates
                    The deposit is the tenant’s money, and what the agent has to, or can do, with it depends on what they agreed with the tenant and / or you.
                    I don’t see how you can compel them to transfer the deposit to you unless they’ve previously agreed to do that.
                    27-05-2022, 06:16 AM
                  • Ending contract with letting agent
                    by Shorif908
                    Hi All,

                    Long story short, my agent of the last 18 months we have decided to depart ways.

                    I have most documents the only thing I don't have is documents related to the DPS.

                    I dont have the certificate so I dont know the deposit ID. The estate agent claims that...
                    27-05-2022, 05:50 AM
                  • Reply to Tenancy Agreement Help
                    by CStevens

                    In answer to each question:

                    1. There is no reason why you cannot have the AST signed before. You would normally date it the date upon which the tenant takes up occupation but that's not necessary. You could date it once everyone has signed if they are happy;
                    27-05-2022, 06:14 AM
                  • Reply to Agreement for friends to live in my house
                    by CStevens
                    You might as well grant them an Assured Shorthold Tenancy ('AST')because, unless you charge them less than £100 a year, it's going to be deemed to be an AST in any case. Perhaps grant it for 2 years then it can be a rolling periodic for the 3rd year if needed. Friend or not though you are going to...
                    27-05-2022, 06:06 AM