Clause- when can T serve Notice? When does it operate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clause- when can T serve Notice? When does it operate?

I wanted to ask opinions as to what the following statement extracted from my rental contract means:
    The Tenant may not serve their written notice to terminate their Tenancy either between 30th June and July 31st or November 1st and December 31st.

I have a different interpretation to my landlords representative.

a) The Tenant may not serve their notice between the stated dates
    b) The contract may not expire between the stated dates

Originally posted by wake123 View Post
    I wanted to ask opinions as to what the following statement extracted from my rental contract means:
    The Tenant may not serve their written notice to terminate their Tenancy either between 30th June and July 31st or November 1st and December 31st.

I have a different interpretation to my landlords representative.

a) The Tenant may not serve their notice between the stated dates
    b) The contract may not expire between the stated dates
    The drafting is ambiguous. I think grammatically speaking, interpretation a) is correct since the main verb of the sentence is 'serve' and the verb 'to terminate' is part of a subordinate clause. However this drafter doesn't seem too bothered about grammatical accuracy, or he would not have referred to the tenant (clearly singular) in the plural ('their').

However, pragmatically speaking, I suspect LL means that he does not want the tenancy to end between those dates as it is presumably inconvenient to him to have tenants moving in and out over Christmas or in the summer.

I'm not even sure he is legally allowed to do that, actually.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      I'm not even sure he is legally allowed to do that, actually.
      That is very interesting, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        However this drafter doesn't seem too bothered about grmamatical accuracy.
        Hmm- what can I say?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Apologies. Post duly edited for typing error (although the post was grammatical!)

You made a spelling error this morning, actually, Mr P... but I was too polite to point it out.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X