Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenants gone, propertys empty!

Hi chaps

Thought I'd ask a question instead of answering some! Finally got a tenant out after much faffing including delayed possessions, etc. Was served Sec 21 and Sec 8. Anyway LL has been granted possession, just waiting to instruct the bailiffs now. And...........the tenant has gone! No furniture in the property, neighbour says she's gone, can see piles of post, etc!

So the question is.... Whats the quickest way to get back in? Wait for the Court Order? Wait for the bailiffs to go in, or put up an abandonment notice? If the notice has anyone got a copy of a good one? Otherwise we're looking at quite a few weeks before we can get the bailiffs

Danger: occasionally, T may pretend to vacate; L re-enters too soon; T reappears and claims harassment. Did T actually surrender Tenancy?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

We are aware of the dangers, this lady seems like a professional tenant, didnt pay rent for ages, went to court, her solicitor said she'd never received info about TDS so assumed they were not covered. Postponed until LL could prove it was covered. With the permission of the judge, she managed to stay there for approx 5 months rent free.
      So we do intend to tread very carefully indeed!

And no, no surrender, LA was inspecting house next door when neighbour said she's gone, and there was no sight of any belongings!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
        by Lawcruncher
        I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
        27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
      • Is time more important than money?
        by jpucng62
        Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
        Garden was left in a mess...
        27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
      • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
        by MdeB
        That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
        Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
        27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
      • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
        by Beeble
        We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
        25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
      • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
        by Lawcruncher
        The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
        27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
      • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
        by Piffy
        I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
        27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
      • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
        by AndrewDod
        Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
        27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
      • Inherited a few rentals
        by Landlord7289
        Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
        25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
      • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
        by DoricPixie
        Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
        27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
      • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
        by Hudson01
        Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
        27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
      Working...
      X