Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Let By' signs - can I take them down

Hi, well, the title says it all really.

I have had a 'Let By' sign nailed to my garden post for just over 3 years. Initially, I pulled it down as it made the area look...well, ya know, It didn't look great so as mentioned I took it down. A few days later it was back up and this time it was nailed on the INSIDE of my garden with wire round it to make it harder to remove (you have to see it to see what i'm saying.

I don't want to sound petty but whoever re-nailed the sign to my wall came into my garden (which is all but private and not easy to get into) without permission or even mentioning it to me.

Can someone please let me know where I stand on this as to be honest, I hate it.

Thanx in advance

Dean

Hi deannie65

I don't understand - was your house originally let, or is it the neighbours property that the board refers to? Why is it still there after 3 years?

Comment

If it's on your land and you've not instructed anyone to let your property:
      a. contact the firm by which your property purports to have been let; and
      b. remove the Notice (ideally, at that firm's cost)
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

The law says that such estate/letting agent signs should be removed within 14 days of sale or the grant of a tenancy. I would remove it and point this out to the letting agency concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Planner View Post
          The law says that such estate/letting agent signs should be removed within 14 days of sale or the grant of a tenancy. I would remove it and point this out to the letting agency concerned.
          But it seems that there was no sale or letting at all.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            But it seems that there was no sale or letting at all.
            Then there is no legal right to display it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Planner View Post
              Then there is no legal right to display it at all.
              True. OP's post #1 indicates that he is an owner-occupier of over three years' standing!

Comment

True. OP's post #1 indicates that he is an owner-occupier of over three years' standing!
                Quite. A further arrow in the quiver cant hurt though.

Comment

I recently called my local council to enquire if planning permission is required to put up a 'to let' sign and was told that permission is required if it is to be there for more than 36 consecutive days.

Knowing that a flat can take longer than that to rent out I asked how long it has to come down for before I can put it back up, to which he replied, rather unhelpfully, "well, how long is a piece of string?".

Having said all that, the sign your garden has no place being there in the first place.

Comment

I'd be tempted to pay for a custom built V board saying "please remove let by board from......" and have it attached to agents premises. They don't like it up 'em Mr Mainwaring

Comment

I'd be tempted to take an axe to the thing and dump it in the agent's doorway one night. I have done this to illegally erected election boards before now. The Tory candidate in question was most put out to find them back on his doorstep within hours. It took him a lot longer to put them up than it took me to remove them.
                      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Alternative riposte to firm whose unauthorised board was erected on OP's land: stick label across it, reading "Firm no longer trading." This is a variant of the retaliatiory label "Cancelled" across unauthorised concert posters!

Comment

I assumed he was the tenant of three years' standing, which would explain the presence of the sign. Still wouldn't stand for having a sign there for anything like that long - cheeky b******s.

Comment

Sorry I should of mentioned that the sign is on the property i'm renting and belongs to the agent I rent from. As mentioned, I took it down and as if by magic, it re-appeared.

Thanx

Dean

Comment

Ha ha ha nice one and thanx

Dean

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X