neighbour complaints via the council

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

neighbour complaints via the council

I have recently received 2 "unofficial" complaints from my neighbours about my tenant, mainly noise and late night parties. I really do not want to get involved personally as I feel that the neighbour should take this up with the tenant, or the local council.............However I am concered that if my neigbour complains to the council, this might get logged as an official neigbour complaint, when I eventually come to sell my house? I know that you have to stipulate if you have had disputes with neighbours on certain documents when you sell your house.

Surely if the complaint is not made about me personally then this should not have to be recorded when I sell my house?

Please assist!!!!

The complaints will not be revealed by a local search. In any event if you sell with vacant possession there will not be a problem and there is nothing to disclose.

Comment

Thanks.
      Any tips on how to "polietly" tell my neigbours to take issues up with my tenant direct? Was thinking of writing to them with some useful information for example, local council details and maybe the police if it escaltes etc...........Just need to know how to word it to direct them away from me.........

Comment

THank your neighbour for drawing your attention to this, and potlitely suggest that they inform environmental health who will write to the tenants and advise them that there has been a complaint. If the noise continues the neighbour should continue to inform EH so that they can monitor the situation and put the tenants under surveillance if necessary. Tell the neighbour that by going down this route it can be effectively monitored, and if the situation does escilate the council can prosecute, but EH must be monitoring the situation.

Comment

Is it a house or a flat? If it's leasehold, do you and the neighbour have the same freehold reversioner?
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Jeffrey:
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it a house or a flat? If it's leasehold, do you and the neighbour have the same freehold reversioner?
            ITS A HOUSE, LEASEHOLD, NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT freehold reversioner?

Comment

Originally posted by helz View Post
              ITS A HOUSE, LEASEHOLD, NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT freehold reversioner?
              You and neigfhbour each own a leasehold. If each lease derives from the same freehold, and if you therefore each have the same reversioner (F), his/her interest in both properties might be significant. F might be asked by neighbour to enforce covenants against you.
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                You and neigfhbour each own a leasehold. If each lease derives from the same freehold, and if you therefore each have the same reversioner (F), his/her interest in both properties might be significant. F might be asked by neighbour to enforce covenants against you.
                What if it's a different freeholder, but OP's lease has a covenant about not causing a nuisance to neighbouring properties...could neighbour still complain to the OP's freeholder about a breach?

Comment

No, as there would be no title link in that case. The whole reason for flats having the same reversioner is to create that commonality of linked titles, so as to enable a complaining lessee to use the reversioner as a vehicle for propounding the complaint against an offending lessee.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
                    by Lawcruncher
                    I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
                    27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
                  • Is time more important than money?
                    by jpucng62
                    Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
                    Garden was left in a mess...
                    27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
                  • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                    by MdeB
                    That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
                    Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
                    27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
                  • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                    by Beeble
                    We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
                    25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
                  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                    by Lawcruncher
                    The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
                    27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
                  • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                    by Piffy
                    I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                    27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
                  • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                    by AndrewDod
                    Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
                    27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
                  • Inherited a few rentals
                    by Landlord7289
                    Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                    25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
                  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                    by DoricPixie
                    Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
                    27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
                  • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
                    by Hudson01
                    Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
                    27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
                  Working...
                  X