Let property is being repossessed- can I recover rent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let property is being repossessed- can I recover rent?

Ok this could take a while but I will try and keep it brief. I rent my house through a letting agency, the actual owner of the house was sent to prison half way through my tennency and the letting company then washed their hands of the property. The house is now being repossessed and the mortgage company advise me that I have no right to be here (tennaency agreement still in force till july) as the owner had no buy to let mortgage or permission to rent out the house. Am I able to claim back rent I have paid to the letting agency as they should never of had this property on their books?

No, I wouldn't think so. The Agency collected the rent on behalf of the LL (And I’m assuming they passed it on to the LL).
    Why do you think they shouldn’t have had this property on their books?

You could possibly sue the LL, but I wouldn’t expect to get much out of someone who is in prison and his property is being re-possessed.

Comment

well I have been told by the mortgage company that the tennancy agreement I have is void due to him not actually being allowed to rent out this property. CAB advise me that letting agents are supposed to check that landlords are allowed to rent out their propertys before adding them to their books?

Comment

At the risk of being shot down by the more knowledgeable on here - in your situation I would stop paying any rent to anyone, worry about where my deposit is and look for somewhere else to live pdq!! You say the letting agent "washed their hands" of the property - so I assume your rent was going direct to the LL.

You are extremely unlikely to get anything out of the agent and it will cost you time, money and added stress, so I wouldn't bother.

It is a dreadful situation for you to be in, I understand, but this seems to be happening to a number of tenants where the LL is not paying the mortgage and the property is being repossessed by the lender.

Hope you find somewhere a bit more secure. Good luck.
        Mrs Jones
        I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by falrep View Post
          well I have been told by the mortgage company that the tennancy agreement I have is void due to him not actually being allowed to rent out this property. CAB advise me that letting agents are supposed to check that landlords are allowed to rent out their propertys before adding them to their books?
          Never heard of that and I'm sure a very small percentage of agents do that, if any. Don't always believe everything CAB tells you.
          Hopefully someone else will confirm this.

But anyway, LL not having consent to let and then renting the property is a breach of his agreement with the mortgage company. LL provided you with a service (property to stay in) you do have to pay for the period you stay in it. Someone with more knowledge might be able to give more information, so wait till someone else responds.

Comment

Yes I actually did stop paying my rent as soon as the letting agency decided they would no longer be involved, obviously I actually had nobody to pay it to which is why I contacted mortgage company who advised me that I didnt need to pay rent as I had a void agreement and that they were repossesing anyway. What riles me is that I have been paying rent all this time and now find out that not only is my contents insurance invalid (thankfully I have never needed to claim) but that the landlords dad now seeks to keep the bond due to rent arrears ..... well a. I had money just nobody to pay and b. rent??? I have no valid tennency agreement!

Comment

Originally posted by falrep
              CAB advise me that letting agents are supposed to check that landlords are allowed to rent out their propertys before adding them to their books?
              It makes sense for letting agents to be given such proof, but it is not a regulation. Don't believe everything CAB tells you.

Comment

The tenancy agreement is not void; but the mortgage company is allowed to evict you with short notice if the LL defaults on his mortgage and they get a court order. They have to use official bailiffs to evict you...so wait until you are evicted by bailiffs if you like, but have a back-up plan. They should make an appointment with you first and not turn up out of the blue.

Agents are meant to inform the LL that they need permission from mortgagee to rent. But the LL may lie to them that he has obtained permission. They cant help that.
                All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

the landlords dad now seeks to keep the bond due to rent arrears ..... well a. I had money just nobody to pay and b. rent??? I have no valid tennency agreement!
                  Is the bond deposit protected? Did the agency hold the bond?

Comment

I have no valid tenancy agreement!
                    Oh yes you do. It binds L and you. It does not bind L's mortgagee unless it consented to L's sub-letting to you.
                    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                      Oh yes you do. It binds L and you. It does not bind L's mortgagee unless it consented to L's sub-letting to you.
                      But even if the mortgagee consented, are they not still able to evict tenant p.d.q. by court order if LL defaults payments, rather than continue the tenancy?
                      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Depends- if they could, why would Parlaiment have provided ground 2?
                        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
                          by Lawcruncher
                          I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
                          27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
                        • Is time more important than money?
                          by jpucng62
                          Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
                          Garden was left in a mess...
                          27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
                        • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                          by MdeB
                          That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
                          Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
                          27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
                        • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                          by Beeble
                          We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
                          25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
                        • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                          by Lawcruncher
                          The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
                          27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
                        • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                          by Piffy
                          I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                          27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
                        • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                          by AndrewDod
                          Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
                          27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
                        • Inherited a few rentals
                          by Landlord7289
                          Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                          25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
                        • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                          by DoricPixie
                          Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
                          27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
                        • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
                          by Hudson01
                          Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
                          27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
                        Working...
                        X