ending a periodic tenancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ending a periodic tenancy

I am ending my current periodic tenancy through an estate agent. They are saying that by law I have to give one months notice from the day I pay rent rather than from today which I would prefer.

Are they correct?

I hope to hear from you soon

many thanks

Dave

Yes they are correct

Yes they are correct.

Where the tenancy has become a Statutory Periodic Tenancy (where the fixed-term has ended and no new agreement signed for another fixed-term) the tenant must give the landlord notice if he wants to leave:

• The notice must be in writing
    • It must be delivered at least 4 weeks before the notice period ends or 1 month if rent is paid monthly
    • It must bring the tenancy to an end at the end of a full rent period.

The notice period must end at the end of a tenancy payment period: for example, if the rent payment date is on the 20th of each month, the notice period must end on the 20th of the month or the 19th to be on the safe side.

The tenancy agreement cannot change these basic rules, 4 weeks being the minimum notice period. However, if the tenancy period is more than 4 weeks, for example, one month, then the notice period is one month.

Tenants needing to terminate and leave early from a fixed term tenancy may negotiate with their landlord to be released from their contract, but this is a matter for personal agreement between landlord and tenant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
      Berlingogirl
      This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
      27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
    • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
      Berlingogirl
      I'm trying to , jta, but I think he knows I know....
      27-07-2017, 20:16 PM
    • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
      BouwensPB
      I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
      26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
    • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
      Wright76
      You are also aware you are now liable to pay her a penalty of up three times the deposit value?.

My experience of a drug addict is that they will leave with a financial offering.

Strike a deal taking into account your likely penalty and eviction costs and offer her an amount...
      27-07-2017, 19:10 PM
    • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
      theartfullodger
      Check insurance for what you must do knowing what you do....
      27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
    • Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
      purpleangel
      Our potential new landlady has 'approved us in principle' but wants to meet us at the house as the final part in the referencing process. Beside the obvious such as look smart, tidy and professional and warn the kids to behave, any particular tips for making sure this last hurdle goes smoothly?
      26-07-2017, 10:11 AM
    • Reply to Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
      Wright76
      Some of the above comments are crazy!. If they have aleady done their referencing and credit checks then they likely just want to meet you.

As someone said above, they are trusting you with their very valuable asset.

As a landlord I couldn't care less what clothes someone...
      27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
    • Landlord Address
      bsward
      Hello,

Tenancy finished a couple of months ago. The landlord withheld part of the deposit for a variety of reasons. As the tenant, I disputed those deductions as incorrect - they contradict the Checkout Report which was completed by an agent of the Landlord but that's besides the point....
      27-07-2017, 09:58 AM
    • Reply to Landlord Address
      theartfullodger
      As the tenancy has finished you have no right to his address from agent.

Have you spent £3 with land registry to get deeds of property & see who is listed as owner & what address?? (Landlord may not be owner... legal, no very uncommon...)
      https://www.gov.uk/search-propert...
      27-07-2017, 18:59 PM
    • Tenant's energy debt.
      Gordonmrln
      I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
      20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
    Working...
    X