T moved from one flat to another- effect on s.21 dates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T moved from one flat to another- effect on s.21 dates?

I read the answer to this the other day but I'm afraid I can't find the thread now so apologies.
    I have a tenant who originally let a room in an HMO from 20/1/09 to 19/7/09.
    He moved into a different room on 20/4/09 and I issued a new tenancy agreement with effect from 20/4/09 to the end of the original tenancy of 19/7/09 - he agreed to these dates.
    I now wish to serve a s.21 asap. Can I serve it to end on or after 19/9/09?
    Many thanks
    Alidee

Originally posted by alidee View Post
    I read the answer to this the other day but I'm afraid I can't find the thread now so apologies.
    I have a tenant who originally let a room in an HMO from 20/1/09 to 19/7/09.
    He moved into a different room on 20/4/09 and I issued a new tenancy agreement with effect from 20/4/09 to the end of the original tenancy of 19/7/09 - he agreed to these dates.
    I now wish to serve a s.21 asap. Can I serve it to end on or after 19/9/09?
    Many thanks
    Alidee
    No. The six-month [s.21] applies. Here it is again, with my underlining again:

21(5). Where an order for possession under subsection (1) or (4) above is made in relation to a dwelling-house let on a tenancy to which section 19A above applies, the order may not be made so as to take effect earlier than:
    (a) in the case of a tenancy which is not a replacement tenancy, six months after the beginning of the tenancy, and
    (b) in the case of a replacement tenancy, six months after the beginning of the original tenancy.

(5A) [omitted as irrelevant]

(6) In subsection (5)(b) above, the reference to the original tenancy is:
    (a) where the replacement tenancy came into being on the coming to an end of a tenancy which was not a replacement tenancy, to the immediately preceding tenancy, and
    (b) where there have been successive replacement tenancies, to the tenancy immediately preceding the first in the succession of replacement tenancies.

(7) For the purposes of this section, a replacement tenancy is a tenancy:
    (a) which comes into being on the coming to an end of an assured shorthold tenancy, and
    (b) under which, on its coming into being:
    (i) the landlord and tenant are the same as under the earlier tenancy as at its coming to an end, and
    (ii) the premises let are the same or substantially the same as those let under the earlier tenancy as at that time.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hi Jeffrey
      Thanks once again for your advice.
      I have explained this to the landlord but he is still adamant he wants to serve notice.
      Is there any harm in serving it and hoping that they go anyway?
      Obviously if they don't go we will have to serve it again when the time is correct.
      Many thanks
      Alidee

Comment

Back on this one I'm afraid. What would be the correct procedure for a tenant in an HMO moving rooms? Is it best to just have the house address on the tenancy agreement rather than the room number on it too?
        And what paperwork should be completed when they move room to show that the original tenancy agreement and dates stand, rather than end up with an issue like I have had as stated previously in this thread?
        Thanks
        Alidee

Comment

Any ideas on this one please ?
          Thanks
          Alidee

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
            by Lawcruncher
            I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
            27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
          • Is time more important than money?
            by jpucng62
            Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
            Garden was left in a mess...
            27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
          • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
            by MdeB
            That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
            Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
            27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
          • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
            by Beeble
            We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
            25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
          • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by Lawcruncher
            The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
            27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
          • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by Piffy
            I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
            27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
          • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
            by AndrewDod
            Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
            27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
          • Inherited a few rentals
            by Landlord7289
            Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
            25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
          • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by DoricPixie
            Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
            27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
          • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
            by Hudson01
            Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
            27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
          Working...
          X