Clear All

• Stel
    replied
    Have you cleaned the filter???

Leave a comment:

• harry1001
    replied
    hello dsmith,
    it might be worth checking the rubber seal between the door and drum of the machine. It's very easy to check - just look in the folds of the seal, especially at the bottom (but also all round). If it's quite old the rubber may have perished and a small hole appeared causing a leak.
    Failing that, find a domestic appliance repairer, give them the model details and where you think the leak is from and ask for an approximate cost.
    New seal is around £10 (IIRC) and it's a diy job although can be a bit fiddly.
    £30 labour to fit one for a ballpark figure.

Regarding the cash payments - do you get a receipt? Sounds rather dodgy in this case. As suggested, bank transfer into an ac is a far better option. Sending by courier, etc, is inviting a 'didn't receive the rent' or ' it was a £100 short' scenario.

Do you have a receipt for the deposit? (assuming a deposit was taken).
    harry

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    At least she didn't vote for the BNP. That's something to be thankful for, I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    Originally posted by dsmith View Post
    Thanks
    I am going to double check the contract, if it does state the unit is contractually the responsibility of the landlord then I will request termination of the contract due to her failure to comply with the T&Cs
    You can't end contract early because of this issue (unless LL agrees). Otherwise, LL can go after you for upaid rent for the remainder of the fixed term.

...or fix it, if it isn’t then I will go down the line of get some quotes and deducting them from the rent.
    Be very careful about how you do this. The following is the exact procedure you should follow.
    • give the landlord notice of the disrepair and a reasonable time to remedy it; then
    • inform the landlord (preferably in writing) that s/he will do the repair her/himself unless the landlord complies with her/his obligations; then
    • allow a further reasonable period for the landlord to do the work; then
    • obtain three estimates for the cost of the work from reputable builders; then
    • write to the landlord again, enclosing copies of the estimates and reminding her/him of her/his obligation to do the work, giving a further reasonable period to carry it out. The letter should warn that, otherwise, the tenant will do the work her/himself and deduct the cost from rent; then, if there is no response
    • arrange for the contractor who gave the lowest estimate to do the work, and obtain (and send to the landlord) receipts, with a request for payment; then
    • if the landlord does not pay, the tenant may deduct the cost from the rent (but not other charges such as service charges), then send the landlord a breakdown of the amount and period of the rent to be withheld.

ideally I would just like to end the contract as she is becoming very annoying, she is adamant that I have to pay her in cash and she can only collect the rent when I am out? so having her in the flat every month isn’t ideal, she also recently been calling to make sure I vote to stop the BNP getting in!? is there anything i can do?!? i am happy to pay her by DD, i just dont want her in the house every month when im not around, infact i dont want to see her every month!
    LL is not entitled to enter the property without your permission. You are entitled to refuse and/or change the lock (you must, however, replace original lock before the tenancy ends). I don't know if LL is entitled to demand cash - I somehow doubt it, unless perhaps it is written into your TA. If you have her bank details, I'd simply set up a DD regardless of what she says. She can hardly claim any breach for paying the rent on time.

i recently had a very long arguement with her because she wanted her rent 8 days early because she was to busy to collect the week it was due! any advice would be good!
    thanks again.
    LL's repeated visits may add up to harassment, which is a serious offence. See
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/harassment.htm
    The visits are causing unwanted interference/intrusion, enough to make you want to end the tenancy. I'd tell her the visits have to stop, in writing. If you don't have bank details to set up DD, and she refuses to provide them, then say you will from now on deliver the cash via bike courier or taxi to her home, and will deduct the cost of the transport from the rent. Be sure to keep a record of anything that happens thereafter. Further intrusions may give you grounds to end the tenancy early on the grounds of harassment - but you'd need to get proper legal advice on this.

BTW, assuming this is an assured shorthold tenancy, has LL protected your deposit? I ask because the cash thing suggests she may be evading tax and as such may also be evading deposit protection. See here for deposit regulations
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TenancyDeposit/DG_066373

Leave a comment:

• dsmith
    replied
    Thanks
    I am going to double check the contract, if it does state the unit is contractually the responsibility of the landlord then I will request termination of the contract due to her failure to comply with the T&Cs or fix it, if it isn’t then I will go down the line of get some quotes and deducting them from the rent. ideally I would just like to end the contract as she is becoming very annoying, she is adamant that I have to pay her in cash and she can only collect the rent when I am out? so having her in the flat every month isn’t ideal, she also recently been calling to make sure I vote to stop the BNP getting in!? is there anything i can do?!? i am happy to pay her by DD, i just dont want her in the house every month when im not around, infact i dont want to see her every month! i recently had a very long arguement with her because she wanted her rent 8 days early because she was to busy to collect the week it was due! any advice would be good!
    thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• P.Pilcher
    replied
    I understand that if the washing machine was installed in the property when you viewed it and no reference was made to who is responsible for its repair at that time, then a serviceable washing machine is part of the rental contract and your landlord is responsible for its repair. Subject to what other more experienced posters may state about this matter, I would suggest that as your landlord appears to be unwilling to repair it, you should get this done yourself. First give your landlord a reasonable time to get it fixed, if he does not do so when requested in writing, get at least two quotations for the necessary repair. Use the cheaper one and then deduct the cost of the repair from your rent.

P.P.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    i have explained this all to my landlord and he is refusing to do nothing, this is a private letting but there is a contract in place, which states all sanitary devices must be maintained. is the machine covered by this?
    While logic says LL should be concerned about water damage to the kitchen, I don't think that the LL has any obligation to repair the washing machine unless it says so in the tenancy agreement. I'm not sure that "sanitary devices" includes w/machine (more likely to mean things like lavatory/bath, though I could be wrong), so check the agreement carefully for any mention of appliances either under T's or LL's obligations.

IF landlord is responsible for the repair, there is action you can take, but first you need to establish that LL is responsible - what does it say in the TA about appliances, the exact wording?

is there anyway i can end my contract due to this?
    BTW, no you can't break the contract early because of this.

Leave a comment:

• dsmith
    replied
    the missus is at home and just got her to check, the water is leaking from the front of the unit, there is an opening there which houses a filter. this is where the water is leaking from. the machine drains straight in the the waste pipe under the sink. The sink in the kitchen, in the bathroom, the bath and toilet have no drainage problems.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Thanks the machine is leaking from underneath, i cant see where but its coming from the front of the unit.
    Well find out where it's coming from - is it from the machine itself; the waste hose coming out of the machine; or from the building's own waste pipes?

Where does the waste hose go - is it into a vertical open-topped standpipe arrangement, or does it connect straight into into the waste pipe via an adapter or something?

Highly unlikely the problem has anything whatsoever to do with drainage down the road (especially as you aren't even on the ground floor) but tell us more info.

Leave a comment:

• dsmith
    replied
    Thanks the machine is leaking from underneath, i cant see where but its coming from the front of the unit. The landlord has said just live with it. as im in a flat i worried about the flat below, i dont want to get a bill for repairing their roof! its gone on quite a while, is there anyway i can end my contract due to this? i work in the city and having no clean shirts because the washing as shed its guts on the floor is very frustrating!

Leave a comment:

• johnjw
    replied
    Is the problem due to the fact that the drain will not take the water as it is pumped from the machine? - or is it a leak from some part of the machine eg via a faulty seal or split pipe.
    Either way, I think the LL should deal with the problem and it's surprising that he doesn't, if only because water will eventually damage the fabric of the kitchen.
    Is he saying that the fault is yours?

Leave a comment:

• dsmith
    started a topic Leaks from washing-machine but L refuses to repair it

Leaks from washing-machine but L refuses to repair it

Hello all, please can someone help me.

I am currently renting a flat, with whitegoods provided, the washine machine as started leaking, covering the kitchen floor water. our landlord has looked at this and said there is nothing that can be done because there is a dranage problem down the road. none of my neighbours have this problem. its pretty dangerous as the cooker is nearby and is electric, the floor tiles are white and its very difficult to see water sitting on them which makes it a slip hazzard. i have explained this all to my landlord and he is refusing to do nothing, this is a private letting but there is a contract in place, which states all sanitary devices must be maintained. is the machine covered by this?

I am an under valued tenant, get me outta here!!!

regards

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X