Worried about homelet checks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worried about homelet checks

Hi i have just come across this site and wondered if anyone could help please, last weekend me and my fiance found a house we like through the letting agents that i am currently renting with and we both put applications in, i informed them that last year i had gone bankrupt and was discharged last year too ( i had told them about this before too) They said that i might need a gurantor, so i asked my dad who agreeed and he filled the form in, in case they did need a garantor. Also my fiance has bad credit which we did tell them and we both ticked the boxes on the homelet forms to say this.

On the Monday i phoned up to see if they had needed to reference me and i was told that they are waiting to hear back from the landlord before they process the application. On wednesday i got a phone call saying that the landlord was happy for the applications to go ahead. I waited until friday to see what was happening. I phoned on friday to find out that they had not sent for the references and were going to be doing it that day, and they would contact me that day to let me know what the credit checks were like. Through out this i had told them that my notice would be due on sunday. I didn't recieve a phone call back, so i phoned them again to be told that the person dealing with it had gone home for the weekend and the references wasn't back and that to try in the morning.

Yesterday morning i rung them up and explained that i was worried about giving in my notice, they said that to bring it in and they would put a note with the notice saying only going ahead if references came back ok and that they didn't think it would be a problem.

I went in today to take the notice in and found out that it takes a week for the references to be done, we were told last weekend that the credit check takes seconds. They said they didn't think it would be a problem. I said that my fiance has two ccjs so was worried, they said there is ways around this with gaurntors. I said would my fiance need to get one too, as the person doesn't work on the letting sides they didn't know, and they didn't know if my fiance would be able to use his mum as a gaurntor who is retired and owns her own home.

Now i am worried and this whole thing is stressing me out. We really want this house and want to be living together. Are we going to face a lot of problems, is there a big chance homelet will turn us down. What do homelet look for when doing the credit check. I have been renting through this letting agents for 3 and a half years now. I don't owe any money. My fiance has given the keys back to his lenders for his house and is trying to sort out the money he owes.

Sorry for the long post

Anyone..................

Comment

Originally posted by Shoegirl View Post
      Anyone..................
      After just 1 hour, on a Sunday lunchtime? This is an internet forum, not the Samaritans!

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
        After just 1 hour, on a Sunday lunchtime? This is an internet forum, not the Samaritans!
        I know that this is not the samartians, i was only looking for some help. You don't have to be funny.

Comment

I think you're worrying about a problem that has not yet happened. Credit checks and references take several days, then the landlord must decide whether to accept or decline. Why the agent told you it would take seconds, we cannot answer.

Try to relax and deal with the situation as it progresses. Possibly expect that the landlord will ask you and your fiancé to put forward guarantors. Have you tee'd anyone up for that possibility?

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
            I think you're worrying about a problem that has not yet happened. Credit checks and references take several days, then the landlord must decide whether to accept or decline. Why the agent told you it would take seconds, we cannot answer.

Try to relax and deal with the situation as it progresses. Possibly expect that the landlord will ask you and your fiancé to put forward guarantors. Have you tee'd anyone up for that possibility?
            Thankyou very much for your help. You are right, iam worrying about it too much. I have my dad and he has filled a form in for me. My fiance could ask his mum, i don't know if she will be allowed as she is retired but she does own her own house. He would need to post the form to his mum as she lives in another part of the country.

Comment

Try to stay calm about it all - easier said than done when you've found somewhere you're desperate for - but you will be able to get it sorted more easily if you keep a clear head. My advice would be to keep speaking to the agents and the people you're dealing with so you know exactly what's going on and so they don't just put you to the bottom of the pile.

Comment

Originally posted by djc111 View Post
                Try to stay calm about it all - easier said than done when you've found somewhere you're desperate for - but you will be able to get it sorted more easily if you keep a clear head. My advice would be to keep speaking to the agents and the people you're dealing with so you know exactly what's going on and so they don't just put you to the bottom of the pile.
                Thankyou very much for your help. I think that iam getting stressed too as i am in the middle of my exams and also worry that i could end up homeless. Im trying not to worry about it.

Comment

How long should i leave it till i contact them again?

Comment

When the results are supplied to the agent, they need to write to the landlord, who then makes a decision on the results.

Believe me, when the landlord has made a decision to reject, accept or accept with conditions, you will be contacted.

You could perhaps focus your mind on packing up in preparation for moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
                      When the results are supplied to the agent, they need to write to the landlord, who then makes a decision on the results.

Believe me, when the landlord has made a decision to reject, accept or accept with conditions, you will be contacted.

You could perhaps focus your mind on packing up in preparation for moving.
                      Thankyou very much for your help.

Comment

Still waiting for the homelet to get back to the letting agents.

Comment

Hi Shoegirl

How long homelet will take with the referencing will depend on you and your partners employers and landlords. I have had some references come back within hours, and others have taken weeks.
                          Whilst the actual credit check may take seconds, Homelet also need to write to each of your landlords (where applicable) and employers for a reference. How long this will take will depend on your employers - it might be worth giving them a nudge to respond as sometimes employers dont realise the urgency.

Homelet will look at your credit score, employment and rent-to-income ratio. As a guide, your annual income needs to be 2.5 times your share of the annual rent.

I am currently referencing a tenant in a similar position and Homelet have come back and said they will require a guarantor. Someone who is retired is fine so long as they have some kind of income which is 3 x the annual rent (eg private pension, independent means). You can visit the homelet website and they have information there to tell you what the procedure is.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemisslettings View Post
                            Hi Shoegirl

How long homelet will take with the referencing will depend on you and your partners employers and landlords. I have had some references come back within hours, and others have taken weeks.
                            Whilst the actual credit check may take seconds, Homelet also need to write to each of your landlords (where applicable) and employers for a reference. How long this will take will depend on your employers - it might be worth giving them a nudge to respond as sometimes employers dont realise the urgency.

Homelet will look at your credit score, employment and rent-to-income ratio. As a guide, your annual income needs to be 2.5 times your share of the annual rent.

I am currently referencing a tenant in a similar position and Homelet have come back and said they will require a guarantor. Someone who is retired is fine so long as they have some kind of income which is 3 x the annual rent (eg private pension, independent means). You can visit the homelet website and they have information there to tell you what the procedure is.
                            Hi thankyou very much for your help. Yesterday my fiance employer got a email off homelet for a reference which they have filled in and sent back to them. I am not employed and the letting agents are my landlords, also my fiance owned his own house.

Comment

That should may it a bit quicker, but if you are not employed then you will definately need a financial guarantor (i read before that you are taking exams - are you a student? If so, your agent should have given you a Homelet Student Application form which includes a guarantor form in the first place and speeds up the process a tiny bit). The guarantor will have to go through pretty much the same referencing procedure, so it is going to be a little while longer before you know 100% whether the landlord will accept the tenancy and you can have the house.

FYI homelet update the information they receive (ie references etc) approx every 4 hours. If you are unemployed and your agent is your current landlord, then they should have your homelet references complete by now (but not your partners).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X