"Mytenancydeposit"- website scam- beware!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Mytenancydeposit"- website scam- beware!

Beware this website, they are not official

www.mytenancydeposit.co.uk

They are attempting to pass themselves off as an official custodial scheme.

The official website they are trying to emulate is www.mydeposits.co.uk which is not a custodial scheme anyway, but an insurance backed scheme.

Apologies if noted elsewhere already.

Originally posted by attilathelandlord View Post
    Beware this website, they are not official

www.mytenancydeposit.co.uk

They are attempting to pass themselves off as an official custodial scheme.

The official website they are trying to emulate is www.mydeposits.co.uk which is not a custodial scheme anyway, but an insurance backed scheme.

Apologies if noted elsewhere already.
    You might notify the official website. "Cyber-squatting" can be restrained by the ISP.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

The powers that be are on the case apparently, but the false website is still up and running at mo, although I'm amusing myself by phoning the scamsters and asking all sorts of questions about their validity!

Comment

I made a reverse charge call to their number. They accepted the call!

I asked the receptionist why their company does not appear to be approved by the Government.

They don't appear to want money from their victims. They seem to want personal details and an email address.

Comment

See also here for a press release from the 'real' outfit:

http://www.mydeposits.co.uk/news/pre...osit-co-uk.htm

Doubt this site will be around for long...

Comment

Warning! This company is fighting back.

Not sure what's going on. This is what they're saying on the home page of their website:

Acting as administrators, mytenancydeposit had an account with mydeposits and was intending to protect each deposit received through mydeposits Government & Communities approved scheme.

We believe that we were offering a legitimate service. We are in the process of seeking legal advice to counteract the allegations and clarify the matter. Our lawyers are confident that we will be able to resume our services shortly and any further damage to our brand by third parties will result to legal action.
            Are they acting as agents? An extra layer for some reason?

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
              Warning! This company is fighting back.

Not sure what's going on. This is what they're saying on the home page of their website:

Are they acting as agents? An extra layer for some reason?
              I think they're trying to act as the middleman. apparently their market survey showed landlords unhappy with the service provided by the TDS's and they seem to want act as the go between... for some sort of commission....

Comment

They are trying it on.

Mydeposits.co.uk is an insurance scheme, so how could they have an account with mydeposits and then claim that it was a custodial scheme?

Unless they were indeed trying to act as agents without landlords realising this.

But in any case, mytenancydeposits is not bonded anywhere I can see, so what's to stop them running off with the money.

Comment

If any forum members are in the Birmingham area they could check the offices out to see if there is a real buisness there or just a postage collection office for scam companies.

Cornwall Buildings
                  45-51 Newhall Street
                  Birmingham
                  B3 3QR

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy View Post
                    If any forum members are in the Birmingham area they could check the offices out to see if there is a real buisness there or just a postage collection office for scam companies.

Cornwall Buildings
                    45-51 Newhall Street
                    Birmingham
                    B3 3QR
                    I work in that building (despite my forum name), yes they do exist although I have never met them* their name is on the board. It's shared service office space.

*I will check though.

Comment

Maybe that should be Birminghamlady then

Comment

Originally posted by attilathelandlord View Post
                        Maybe that should be Birminghamlady then
                        Or Cornwall?
                        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Or Streetlady
                          A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                          W.Churchill

Comment

Be nice you lot or I won't tell you the results of my investigation...

SherlockHolmesLady

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Long time tenants , no TA
                              Luke
                              Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
                              Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
                              Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
                              Q4 – How long was initial fixed term (6/12/24 months...
                              18-09-2019, 07:23 AM
                            • Finding new tenant
                              artin
                              Hi
                              Tenants are leaving so looking for new ones for a 2 bedroom flat.
                              I usually use state agents and they found 2 single guys which I met last Friday. Both engineers, mid 20s with masters degree and working for the same reasonably medium size company who employ 700 people. Both pleasant...
                              15-09-2019, 20:27 PM
                            • Reply to Finding new tenant
                              Berlingogirl
                              I'd still let to them but before doing so would make it clear that you'll be carrying out a courtesy visit in around 6 weeks/2 months to see how they're getting on and if there are any problems....
                              18-09-2019, 07:20 AM
                            • Tenant asked for child to stay in HMO
                              TracyRoman
                              I am just advertising a newly renovated HMO. I have had an enquiry from a prospective tenant who has advised (pretty last minute in our discussions) that he has an 8 year old son who stays with him Thursday night to Sunday afternoon each week.

Do landlords typically allow this? I personally...
                              17-09-2019, 05:45 AM
                            • Reply to Tenant asked for child to stay in HMO
                              Berlingogirl
                              and the ratio of people to toilets and showers.

It's all such a bad idea. My HMOs aren't safety checked for children and I've no idea if any of the tenants are on the sex offenders list....
                              18-09-2019, 07:15 AM
                            • Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
                              cancan
                              Hi everyone,

I currently have a TDS adjudication with my ex-tenants ongoing. The tenants' deposit is 4300. The damages i am trying to claim in total is 7000. Even if i do get awarded the full deposit, i'm still short 2700. Im wondering if Small Claims via Money Claim Online (MCOL) is available...
                              16-09-2019, 19:24 PM
                            • Reply to Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
                              Berlingogirl
                              I used Once white emulsion to paint over black walls and ceilings and just one coat really did cover it, and I'm no decorating expert. I also used Once gloss to cover black gloss and again it covered it. £5000 seems very high for a 2 bed property, unless it was a huge place.

£672 also...
                              18-09-2019, 07:12 AM
                            • Reply to Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
                              cancan
                              Thanks everyone. I figured I should wait for the adjudication decision - if its in my favor, then i can consider small claims. If it isn't, i definitely can forget it.

But i suppose if the adjudication is in my favor, i can start small claims , since it is possible i will not be required...
                              18-09-2019, 03:50 AM
                            • Can I Sue The Council for negligence ?
                              alenuk
                              Wondering if someone can help me here.
                              I live in Council Estate. Having a mortgage and been living here since 2002
                              Earlier this year gang of thieves entered Storage Room (doors are secured with number lock) and broken into my storage and tools worth approximately £ 2000 were taken.
                              email to council
                              16-09-2019, 19:50 PM
                            • Reply to Can I Sue The Council for negligence ?
                              mariner
                              Any non-workng Security system can have a detterence factor untll sussed eg dummy alarm boxes.
                              L has no duty to provide CCTV in communal areas and is best advised not to do so,...
                              18-09-2019, 01:36 AM
                            Working...
                            X