Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with final rent payment

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice.
    I'm renting out a student house with three other people, the tenancy is due to end the beginning of July. The house is an absolute joke, there is damp everywhere which has led to mold growing in the bathroom, and appliances such as washing machine and fridge keep breaking.
    The last rent installment was paid in April, although I paid him £70 short of what I owed due to a dry cleaning bill (L/L fault as he painted the front door black and failed to tell anyone) and a £40 food bill...Id been shopping and had to bin everything as the fridge packed in the next day. He is now saying I owe him £95, (apparently £20 was from a previous rent installment which he neglected to tell me at the time. I've explained to him why the rent was what it was and he said he will pay the cleaning bill but I have to pay the £70. I dont have that money spare as I'm due to go travelling in a month and have little money as it is. The most I could spare is £30. Would he be able to take legal action against me for the remainding '£40'??? I'd be willing to move out 2 weeks earlier to make up for it (rent is £50 a month)

Any help would be great!!!

Latest Activity

Collapse

• s8 and s21 notice periods for contractual periodic tenancy
    by LastBus
    Hi,
    I let a flat to a tenant on an AST in England which has been running for a few years on a contractual periodic basis. I have now found myself in a position where I need to live in the property.

I did serve the s8 "prior grounds" notice (Ground 1 and 2) before the start...
    15-08-2022, 01:07 AM
  • Reply to Guarantor has announced they wont be paying!
    by DoricPixie
    I don’t think you’ll get the property back by October either. The tenant is angling for social housing and the council will advise her to hand in until bailiffs physically removed her from the property. Insurance companies and solicitors can’t make the process go any faster. A solicitor might...
    14-08-2022, 22:51 PM
  • Guarantor has announced they wont be paying!
    by lordluvus
    The girl works in HM service with good ref and actually always paid her half, her dopey partner, was newly self employed and has a guarantor. (family member). Tenant got pregnant but has always paid her half, if sometimes late. Now they have a 1 yr old baby boy. This month she has paid 60% but the rest...
    14-08-2022, 19:36 PM
  • Reply to Future Issues for LL and Tenants
    by DoricPixie
    Properly insulated properties also help to keep the air cool inside during summer. Much in the same way a Thermos flask can keep its contents either hot or cold.

If you had a well insulated home then you wouldn’t need larger radiators to use with heat pumps. Once you reached the desired...
    14-08-2022, 22:44 PM
  • Future Issues for LL and Tenants
    by Hudson01
    Looking at the news today (similar to yesterday and the day before), they are talking about combined energy bills of 4-5k a year...... by April 2023. There are many properties up north where the combined rental per annum is between 6-7k....... that is insane.

Could we have a situation...
    13-08-2022, 22:08 PM
  • Reply to Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
    by ash72
    I really can't see the new PM (who ever that is) is going to reach into their pockets to then give out more money, If they do I think it's going to be like the winter payment, only selected people will be eligible, and guess what LL's will not be one of them.

What other countries are doing...
    14-08-2022, 21:21 PM
  • Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
    by patray
    I am trying to work out the best way to recoup some of the increase in the cost of the gas given that we can only put up the rent once a year but the cost is going to be increased in October and probably every 3 months.

It's not possible to forsee how much prices will rise or what help...
    14-08-2022, 14:03 PM
  • Reply to Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
    by Hudson01
    I think the govt will step in of sorts but they cannot cover the increase in the rates for the whole population and industry !! Not a chance, i agree we do not know how much, but we have a really good idea that it will be massive. If you do not work this out correctly you will be taking a lot more than...
    14-08-2022, 21:11 PM
    by Hudson01
    I doubt very much you will get the house back by October, the tenant has been told the usual by the local authority and will put up a fight, so do not count on your plans going....... to plan. In terms of the guarantor, its in the lap of the gods, if all tickity boo, then great but any flaws at all...
    14-08-2022, 21:02 PM
    by NaomiB
    The S21 required my tenant to leave by 18 April but she didn't so then had to apply to the court for an accelerated possession order. She filed no defence so I could apply for the possession order which I received at the end of July for her to leave 10 August. She hasn't so I have applied for the...
    14-08-2022, 20:54 PM
Working...
X