'Professional' tenants- how to avoid them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luke
    started a topic 'Professional' tenants- how to avoid them?

'Professional' tenants- how to avoid them?

Has anyone had these before?
    What are there limits ?
    If these people have no regard for the law, then I imagine that they could get up to all sorts.
    Identity theft? Applying for Credit Cards from the address?
    Has anyone had professional tenants before?
    I imagine that it could financially ruin landlords

• Nathalie
    replied
    Doing things properly and treating letting as a business not a charity are the two key ways to prevent being conned. I've read so many horror stories on landlord forums of landlords "feeling sorry" for someone and then end up not only with nightmare tenants but a potential lawsuit too! I'm sure "pros" will try and have a sob story or two to try and get in.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
    I refer them to my agent who invariably never hears from them and who is being paid a substantial fee to organise viewings, advertise my property and use their considerable experience to sum up interested tenants to decide whether they may be suitable. This way I minimise the risk of getting a set of "professional" tenants.
    I don't use an agent but I still do the same checks that they would do. So hopefully I'll be able to weed out the "pros" the same way that they would. Never had one yet; but I can't rule out the possibility that I may have come across them in the past but that nothing has ever come of it as maybe they have done a bunk once they've realised I do things properly...

I suspect you're right that on average a 'pro' tenant is much more likely to target individual landlords than an agent, though, so I'm always on my guard

Leave a comment:

• P.Pilcher
    replied
    You will read much about "professional" tenants here.
    Such tenants know landlord and tenant law backwards and are experienced in handling their case in court to persuade the Judge to extend their tenancy as long as possible without paying much if any rent. Unsuprisingly, such tenants do not like using agents. Agents check potential tenants as carefully as they can in order, as far as possible, to ensure that their landlord clients do not end up with "professional" tenants. Unfortunately like all other potential tenants, agents charge them to check their references, their creditworthiness and even to formally interview them. "Professional" tenants don't like this!
    I have a property awaiting tenants at the moment. The next door neighbour knows my telephone number and has handed it out to one or two people who have been peering through the windows to see whether they would like to rent it. My agent's "To Let" board is clearly visible in the front garden. These people telephone me to ask if the can "cut out the agent because it is so expensive". Naturally I refer them to my agent who invariably never hears from them and who is being paid a substantial fee to organise viewings, advertise my property and use their considerable experience to sum up interested tenants to decide whether they may be suitable. This way I minimise the risk of getting a set of "professional" tenants.

P.P.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X