'Professional' tenants- how to avoid them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Professional' tenants- how to avoid them?

Has anyone had these before?
    What are there limits ?
    If these people have no regard for the law, then I imagine that they could get up to all sorts.
    Identity theft? Applying for Credit Cards from the address?
    Has anyone had professional tenants before?
    I imagine that it could financially ruin landlords

You will read much about "professional" tenants here.
    Such tenants know landlord and tenant law backwards and are experienced in handling their case in court to persuade the Judge to extend their tenancy as long as possible without paying much if any rent. Unsuprisingly, such tenants do not like using agents. Agents check potential tenants as carefully as they can in order, as far as possible, to ensure that their landlord clients do not end up with "professional" tenants. Unfortunately like all other potential tenants, agents charge them to check their references, their creditworthiness and even to formally interview them. "Professional" tenants don't like this!
    I have a property awaiting tenants at the moment. The next door neighbour knows my telephone number and has handed it out to one or two people who have been peering through the windows to see whether they would like to rent it. My agent's "To Let" board is clearly visible in the front garden. These people telephone me to ask if the can "cut out the agent because it is so expensive". Naturally I refer them to my agent who invariably never hears from them and who is being paid a substantial fee to organise viewings, advertise my property and use their considerable experience to sum up interested tenants to decide whether they may be suitable. This way I minimise the risk of getting a set of "professional" tenants.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
      I refer them to my agent who invariably never hears from them and who is being paid a substantial fee to organise viewings, advertise my property and use their considerable experience to sum up interested tenants to decide whether they may be suitable. This way I minimise the risk of getting a set of "professional" tenants.
      I don't use an agent but I still do the same checks that they would do. So hopefully I'll be able to weed out the "pros" the same way that they would. Never had one yet; but I can't rule out the possibility that I may have come across them in the past but that nothing has ever come of it as maybe they have done a bunk once they've realised I do things properly...

I suspect you're right that on average a 'pro' tenant is much more likely to target individual landlords than an agent, though, so I'm always on my guard

Comment

Doing things properly and treating letting as a business not a charity are the two key ways to prevent being conned. I've read so many horror stories on landlord forums of landlords "feeling sorry" for someone and then end up not only with nightmare tenants but a potential lawsuit too! I'm sure "pros" will try and have a sob story or two to try and get in.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant abandoning property
          Ms London
          What can be done about tenants just leaving the property without notice, nor paying rent before the end of the fixed term AST?

I'm talking about the rented room on AST in London started September last year. I've got no forwarding address and suspect they left abroad. Can I put it in court?...
          05-06-2019, 22:30 PM
        • Reply to Tenant abandoning property
          leaseholder64
          You won't get money from the UK job unless you find out about and request an attachment of earnings. The payment will be subject to affordability....
          19-06-2019, 23:45 PM
          mariner
          T leaving keys in the property does not end the Tenancy, unless you accept them.
          19-06-2019, 23:22 PM
        • Live in landlord
          Schie
          Hi - I have 3 bed house. I have converted one reception into room where I live and I have rented out 3 bedrooms upstairs (2 double bed and 1 single).

I'm thinking of doing loft conversion that's mean 4th bedroom. Do I need hmo license if I do loft conversion?
          19-06-2019, 22:40 PM
        • Reply to Live in landlord
          leaseholder64
          You need an HMO licence even without the conversion, assuming double occupation of at least one double bedroom. This assumes there is no selective licensing for smaller HMOs.

You need to obey HMO regulations, even if there are only 4 residents, in total.
          19-06-2019, 23:14 PM
        • Council tax issue
          buttons
          I served a section 21 notice which ended on 2nd June on a tenant. The reason was the tenant had not claimed their housing benefit. They finally got this sorted and I got paid in April then again in May. I went to the house on 22 May, the tenant was just going into the house, the first time I had seen...
          19-06-2019, 22:39 PM
        • Reply to Council tax issue
          scampicat
          I had a similar problem with a tenant. I had to provide a tenancy agreement with a note written by me explaining that the tenancy was relinquishd early, by mutual agreement. I gave the date that she was responsible for the tenancy for (which was a month later than she said). A couple of months later...
          19-06-2019, 22:49 PM
        • 1st time landlord, 'enthusiastic' estate agent, questionable tenants.
          daz87
          All,

First time landlord that is moving with work and renting out home.

Perspective tenants, working couple one on maternity, a number of children who are keen for longer tenancy agreement than 6 months due to schools and settling in.

They have a guarantor,...
          19-06-2019, 14:59 PM
        • Reply to 1st time landlord, 'enthusiastic' estate agent, questionable tenants.
          2006holly
          Walk away from them, there’ll be plenty more potential tenants.
          letting agent I engaged agreed to let my flat without giving me all the info on the tenant. It’s been a nightmare of constant late payments, so many lies by agents that are still coming to light, tenants income wasn’t verified,...
          19-06-2019, 22:22 PM
          Ms London
          so the picture of an empty room with the keys on the table is good enough as evidence?
          And I'll take it to the court but if they've got a job in Ireland, not in the UK, I'll not get my rent back? And if they do get a job in the UK, automatically they will be made to pay me the rent that they owe?...
          19-06-2019, 20:39 PM
        Working...
        X