Tenant's cohabitant is drug dealer

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tenant's cohabitant is drug dealer

    This is a question a new member has emailed me! .. I don't know what name they have registered under but they managed to find my email address! .. Here is the email with my response!!

    Hi justaboutsane,
    I am a new subscriber to Landlord Zone and was hoping to get some advice via the forum section. So far I have been unable to post my question but in the attempt I came across your contact email. So I wonder if you might be able to help or direct me to someone who can. This is my dilemma, as a fairly new landlord half way through my second year with my first problem, with a tenant who moved in 18th November 2005 -

    "I first began to realise that there may be problems with my female tenant about 3 weeks ago when I tried to make arrangements for necessary repairs to be done. With relief I collected the rent the day before yesterday - in cash a week overdue from her boyfriend at the property. At this meeting I ascertained that my tenant seems to have left, leaving a very unsuitable unemployed boyfriend in residence dealing drugs from the property. The neighbours can supply cctv footage and tell me that they have no doubt that this character was beating up my tenant which is why I surmise that she has moved out although neither she or the boyfriend have told me this. She is very difficult to contact having told me that she is staying with her mother as there have been family problems. However I can ring or visit her at work. The boyfriend is also keeping a dog at the property which is against the rental contract. At the moment he thinks that I am just a stupid woman who has no idea what is really going on which suits me fine until I can find out the legalities of the situation and advice on the best way to deal with it. At least the rent is being paid, next payment due 18th March. Obviously I want the property vacated by both of them. Please can you help or tell me who could. Thank you in anticipation."

    You really need to post this on the forum, I can only answer your queries from experience.. and what I say may not be correct! There are many people on the site who can give you better answers!

    My thoughts would be to issue a section 21 now to expire at the end of the fixed term. Address it to your tenant and send it from two post offices and get receipts. Also try and contact her and ask for an address... or maybe even a letter saying she has vacated the property. This way you should be able to evict the boyfriend as a squatter. .. I will post this on your behalf and see what responses you get!

    With regards to the Drug dealing... have the neighbours informed the Police of his actions?? They may be able to arrest him giving you the chance to change the locks (If the tenant has relinquished in WRITING her rights to the property)

    Anyone else got an answer??
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

    Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Latest Activity


  • Claiming for protected deposit
    This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
    Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
    I served the...
    21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
  • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
    It was the situation predicted by some Judges et al when it was first proposed that the full Penalty would be awarded to the T and not the Exchequer.
    22-07-2017, 01:16 AM
  • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
    I agree. It's almost at the level of scandal as the people claiming cash by pretending they were ill on holiday. In that case, the Spanish Hotels have told tour operators they won't be doing all inclusive holidays any more.

    Therefore, I suggest landlords take a page out of their book, and...
    21-07-2017, 22:22 PM
  • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
    Letter sent with the evidence attached.
    Slightly off topic, it seems there this deposit protection appears to have gathered conflicting views.
    I would have thought that the purpose of the legislation was the protection of T's money, which most law-abiding landlords do but it seems that its...
    21-07-2017, 21:20 PM
  • Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
    Our tenancy has just ended. We have cleaned the property from top to bottom using professional cleaners to do this and clean the carpets. He suggested this hadn't been done and wanted the name of our contractor to check which we gave him. The contractor assured him that after eight years the carpets...
    08-03-2017, 00:45 AM
  • Reply to Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy

    Our adjudication has just come through and the landlord has been given a token payment with the majority of our large deposit being returned to us. He was told that he had not submitted appropriate evidence for the misuse of the property and that things he was saying were wrong...
    21-07-2017, 20:49 PM
  • Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
    Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?

    Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?

    Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
    21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
  • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
    Thanks for the reply jp....
    21-07-2017, 18:32 PM
  • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
    Makes sense - if the tenancy agreement doesn't say you have to let him and a surveyor in, his only right of access is with 24 hours written notice for the purpose of viewing the "condition and state of repair" of the property.

    So you can simply decline or make your point.
    21-07-2017, 18:23 PM
  • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
    I'm not trying to claim for breach of quiet enjoyment. He wants to be in again with a surveyor to use his property as security for something. I am going to let him I just want to remind him and have all the facts. Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

    Only claiming for the non protection...
    21-07-2017, 18:08 PM