Runaway tenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runaway tenant

Hi I have a property and the tenant has legged it not paying rent today (1st of month) no address left, no keys left, house is absolutley filthy! Mess everywhere. I still have his deposit. All belongings gone. He was 6 months into a 10 month AST. This is the first time this has happened - any advice greatly appreciated.

Am I entitled to use deposit to clean the house?

Am I allowed to re let the house? As from when? Should I change the locks?

Many unopened gas bills in foyer(in his name) - presumably unpaid should I inform the gas company? If not the property may get cut off? No forwarding address left.

I want to re let but need to do essential maintenance during July/August, Can I re let on a 4 month AST?

Thanks

Abandonment

This is a tricky situation and you need to be cautious.
    In a worst case senario, if you take over the property and re-let, and the tenant returns, he could in theory take you to the cleaners - courts have awarded thousands in compensation to the tenant.
    Having said that, it does not seem likely in this case, but it's not beyond the bounds of possibility for an tenant in the know legally to actually set-up a landlord for this.
    To be absolutely safe you need to apply to the court of a possession order. Alternatively I would suggest you contact your local authority's housing officers and take action to take over with their knowledge and approval.
    If your tenant have completed a proper application form at the start of this tenancy you will have enough information to do a quick trace on him. You can then have the place professionally cleaned and put to rights etc and follow up with a claim, including outstanding rent to the end of his contract, or at least until you re-let, against the tenant. If he's working you will stand a good chance of recovery with all costs awarded to you.

Comment

I don't know how this would stand up in court, but, if I get an abandoned property, I usually wait for a month and then put a notice of abandonment on the door of the property stating that I am aware that the property hasn't been used for a month and for anyone with any info on the whereabouts of the tenant to call me, this I leave on the door for a week or so. If I don't get any response from either the tenant or anyone else, I enter, clean and relet. Also, if the tenant is receiving benefit, you can call your local benefit office and inquire if they are still claiming for the property, this will give you an indication whether they will be returning. Just hope and pray you don't have a "professional tenant".

Comment

We have had this at one of our properties lately. The property was broken into and we had to enter to change the locks and make it secure. We left a visable notice giving the tenant a number to call and we also called the LA to stop HB. We only found out as our builder was working on another property at the back of ours! .. He saw the break in and lack of "Stuff" in the house!

Anyway, sign has been up for 2 months and no contact.. HB have now told us they cannot track her so HB is stopped (LA wait 2 months so we did too). We shall now sort out the issues .. ie missing boiler and get it relet! .. the sign on the window may have got us a fully employed tenant so fingers crossed she checks out OK!
        GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Buy to let research
          michael.blackmore
          Hello fellow LandlordZone members,

I am working on a product/platform that will give buy to let landlords/property investors increased control and financial clarity over their portfolios. There is limited research into the actual behaviour and knowledge within this area and I would therefore...
          22-01-2018, 09:19 AM
        • Competitive rent cuts
          JK0
          I'm still trying to let the flat with the green tiles. This was let in its un-renovated state for £700 in 2010, so I think £850 is reasonable now. Trouble is that there is an equivalent flat here in Reading that has been on the market since November for £795. Another one has just gone on the market...
          21-01-2018, 00:24 AM
        • Reply to Competitive rent cuts
          Interlaken
          Is that a storage heater in the hallway? I don't see the favoured words GFCH in the details - this could well be the problem of having it on the market in January.
          Could last tenants have left because they could not face another winter there?
          22-01-2018, 09:10 AM
        • Reply to Competitive rent cuts
          MisterB
          lol. I recently completed a complete refurb in magnolia, only for the boss to decide (in collusion with the 'selected' tenant) that it all needed to be shades of grey and a pink bedroom for her daughter,

of course I did as I was told, grumbling all the way, BUT to be honest (and as she...
          22-01-2018, 09:01 AM
        • Rent late because of “Hacked bank account”
          Katelydstep
          late Rent after only 3 months (just after Xmas - odd that!) and my LA firstly didn’t inform me, and now say that it’s because the tenants have had their bank account hacked.
          would it be confrontational for me to ask for a letter of confirmation from the bank re the hacking issue?. Have had...
          10-01-2018, 11:19 AM
        • Reply to Rent late because of “Hacked bank account”
          tatemono
          if you're in the northeast of England or northwest London, please PM me the agent's name... otherwise, thanks for sharing!
          22-01-2018, 08:51 AM
        • Reply to Rent late because of “Hacked bank account”
          islandgirl
          I did check with a solicitor. The advice was that until I was out of pocket I could do nothing. The AST stood. If tenants had not paid rent and I had made some form of loss I could sue agent for it. I was not happy at the time. Fortunately tenant was OK. I now tell everyone locally never ever to use...
          22-01-2018, 08:46 AM
        • Partner as Permitted occupier worries
          Lauren 1234
          Hi all

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere but u have looked everywhere and can' find an answer!!

My current landlord is selling their property so I have put an app in for a new one. I have been renting on my own for three years and not caused any problems my credit...
          21-01-2018, 12:28 PM
        • Reply to Partner as Permitted occupier worries
          mariner
          Credit ref checks are only required for signatory Ts or Guarantor, but as LL I would credit ref anyone wishing to reside in my property. Explain to LL/LA in writng (dated) that you apply as sole T, but you wish your named partner/bf as permtted occupier. LL can reject your T applicaiion.
          22-01-2018, 01:49 AM
        • tenant hasn't paid last months rent
          ferrari-airwolf
          Hi there I am in a bit of a weird situation. Basically, 1 month ago I handed my section 21 notice to the tenant to leave the property. the T should be moving out of the property mid February. The T has always paid on time and kept the house in a good and clean condition. However when I checked to see...
          21-01-2018, 13:25 PM
        Working...
        X