Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter Before Action - how to?

Hi,

Was supplied a letter before action template from a person on this forum. Have got it ready to go but in the last but one paragraph "I attach a copy of my Claim for..." what format should this attachment take??

Letter Before Action example letters?

Hi all, could anyone point me to some examples/links as I need to write a LBA to a T who has skipped off owing rent. Usual stuff, so I guess there should be some resources lurking around the net? I did a google search but it pulled up LBA's against LLs! and for companies instead. TIA everyone

Comment

Warning letter threatening legal action

Hi, thanks for contributing to this forum - loads of really useful info.

I am drafting a letter outling my intention to pursue my tenants unpaid rent through legal channels & am after some tips of what to say, ie, anyone got a template that is effective.

I suspect there may be a lack of understanding on the T behalf of what he has signed up for, despite him initialling each page of the AST & being given a covering letter outling his obligations.

Appreciate any advice in advance

Comment

In what way do you suspect your tenant is 'in the dark'? That may affect the format of your letter.

A letter isn't totally necessary - if applicable, a section 8 notice starts the process rolling and contains everything the tenant needs to know.

Comment

Hi thanks.

I want to send a letter reminding T that he is party to a legally enforcable contract.

The Agreements section on here seems to have one but it keeps asking me to log in - I have & I still can't access it.

Comment

It is unclear whether you seek possession or want to recover your arrears by the small claims process.

Please clarify.

Comment

I want to recover shortfall of rent owed as part of 12 month fixed term contract.

Sorry for any ambiguity

Comment

And what penalty would you threaten if they don't pay? I am trying to work out how hard you want to go at this, and more to the point, if you could actually 'threaten' anything other than eviction (plus bailiffs etc for the £). Threatening legal action without eviction is likely to result in a very painful continuing tenancy and a 'don't give a damn' tenant.

I really would consider s8 - is there a reason you want the tenant to stay?

Comment

You may make a claim though the small claims procedure.Where you would need to send a letter (viz pre action protocol letter) to the tenant outlining the amount of rent arrears and that you wish to take them to court etc.
                  do some reading on the county court procedure for small claims (I'm assuming the rent arrears are below £5,000)

But yes the section 8 route could be your best bet, as there is no need for pre action for recovery of your premises.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Poolboy View Post
                    The Agreements section on here seems to have one but it keeps asking me to log in - I have & I still can't access it.
                    Glad it's not just me, then

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                      Glad it's not just me, then
                      I had the same problem (posted about it on the 'Forum Usage' forum). Also sent a pm to WillB who fixed it for me.

WillB rules
                      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Hi Bhaal, thanks for your reply, I am sorry for my late one. The dispute is about a slightly cracked shower tray that was already cracked when I have started the tenancy. Obviously after almost a year it went worse but not that much. The LL has not provided evidences of expenses or quotes, refused ADR and not started Court procedings even threating to do so. Even if I had not to do, I sent a estimator to my previous flat, but it could not make quotes since the LL already removed the shower tray. To make it short the LL is claiming the full deposit plus a month worth of rent since the flat was not ready for other tenants (even if it was advertised on the local papers). I'm in England. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by pinka View Post
                          Hi Bhaal, thanks for your reply, I am sorry for my late one. The dispute is about a slightly cracked shower tray that was already cracked when I have started the tenancy. Obviously after almost a year it went worse but not that much.
                          Was there an inventory carried out at the start and end of the tenancy, and if so what reference was made to the shower tray being cracked in either/both inventory?

Comment

I am pretty sure there was no mention of a shower tray on the initial inventory, unfortunately I have somehow lost it. The end inventory was an email reporting that damage.

Comment

Originally posted by pinka View Post
                              I am pretty sure there was no mention of a shower tray on the initial inventory, unfortunately I have somehow lost it.
                              Depending how sure 'pretty sure' is, that's probably a big factor in determining the outcome of your proposed court case. Eg, if you signed something at the start of the tenancy to the effect that you agreed there was an undamaged bathroom suite, then you'd likely be on thin ice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Legal question
                                by KTC
                                I guess any such assessment now would be good clear evidence that any alleged Will signed recently that magically appears later should be overturned if/when challenged....
                                01-03-2021, 13:32 PM
                              • Legal question
                                by mind the gap
                                Hi all, hope you're keeping safe.

Not sure which forum to put this in - happy for Moderator to move if appropriate.

Scenario is as follows. In 2018, elderly widower changes the will he made jointly with wife in 1980s. He does it all properly, using a solicitor and include...
                                01-03-2021, 13:01 PM
                                by mind the gap
                                Thanks jpkeates.

I'm wondering whether the fact that the daughter was threatened by the family with prosecution if she didn't repay the money she'd taken, would have any leverage if she tried to produce the third Will after his death?

The problem is that apparently the father...
                                01-03-2021, 13:25 PM
                                by mind the gap
                                Thank you Berlingogirl. Those powers of attorney have been in place for some time ( three of his other offspring jointly hold them) but can presumably only be activated to prevent him signing a new Will when the father is deemed medically to lack capacity?

Is there anything the family...
                                01-03-2021, 13:20 PM
                              • Reply to Your move references
                                by jpkeates
                                Agents seem to get a basic recommendation, yes, yes but only with guarantor or no.
                                As I don't rent with guarantors, the only result I'd personally accept is yes.
                                01-03-2021, 13:11 PM
                              • Your move references
                                by MrsB27
                                Can anyone give me any information on your move referencing please?

myself and my husband have paid holding deposit and been down with our passports to arrange right to rent check. They have advised referencing is done through Experian or equifax and that it’s nothing to worry about....
                                28-02-2021, 19:57 PM
                              • Reply to Another way to suffer from Covid
                                by Perce
                                I would use bailiffs if you know the tenant has money.
                                01-03-2021, 13:07 PM
                              • Another way to suffer from Covid
                                by P'd off of Romford
                                Hi Guys

Yes, sorry, this is another tale of woe, for which I apologise in advance....

FirstIy, I have Multiple Sclerosis, and as a result, can no longer work in my professional field.

For this reason, I have recently rented out my former home, as a means of a small...
                                01-03-2021, 11:27 AM
                                by jpkeates
                                I don't think there's going to be a definitive answer.

Wills can be challenged, and a court be asked to make a decision, but it's very hard to retrospectively decide that someone was not of sound mind when a will was signed.
                                01-03-2021, 13:07 PM
                                by Berlingogirl
                                The family need to get two Powers of Attorney - one for health and one for wealth asap while he still has some capacity....
                                01-03-2021, 13:06 PM
                              Working...
                              X