Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter Before Action - how to?

Hi,

Was supplied a letter before action template from a person on this forum. Have got it ready to go but in the last but one paragraph "I attach a copy of my Claim for..." what format should this attachment take??

Letter Before Action example letters?

Hi all, could anyone point me to some examples/links as I need to write a LBA to a T who has skipped off owing rent. Usual stuff, so I guess there should be some resources lurking around the net? I did a google search but it pulled up LBA's against LLs! and for companies instead. TIA everyone

Comment

Warning letter threatening legal action

Hi, thanks for contributing to this forum - loads of really useful info.

I am drafting a letter outling my intention to pursue my tenants unpaid rent through legal channels & am after some tips of what to say, ie, anyone got a template that is effective.

I suspect there may be a lack of understanding on the T behalf of what he has signed up for, despite him initialling each page of the AST & being given a covering letter outling his obligations.

Appreciate any advice in advance

Comment

In what way do you suspect your tenant is 'in the dark'? That may affect the format of your letter.

A letter isn't totally necessary - if applicable, a section 8 notice starts the process rolling and contains everything the tenant needs to know.

Comment

Hi thanks.

I want to send a letter reminding T that he is party to a legally enforcable contract.

The Agreements section on here seems to have one but it keeps asking me to log in - I have & I still can't access it.

Comment

It is unclear whether you seek possession or want to recover your arrears by the small claims process.

Please clarify.

Comment

I want to recover shortfall of rent owed as part of 12 month fixed term contract.

Sorry for any ambiguity

Comment

And what penalty would you threaten if they don't pay? I am trying to work out how hard you want to go at this, and more to the point, if you could actually 'threaten' anything other than eviction (plus bailiffs etc for the £). Threatening legal action without eviction is likely to result in a very painful continuing tenancy and a 'don't give a damn' tenant.

I really would consider s8 - is there a reason you want the tenant to stay?

Comment

You may make a claim though the small claims procedure.Where you would need to send a letter (viz pre action protocol letter) to the tenant outlining the amount of rent arrears and that you wish to take them to court etc.
                  do some reading on the county court procedure for small claims (I'm assuming the rent arrears are below £5,000)

But yes the section 8 route could be your best bet, as there is no need for pre action for recovery of your premises.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Poolboy View Post
                    The Agreements section on here seems to have one but it keeps asking me to log in - I have & I still can't access it.
                    Glad it's not just me, then

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                      Glad it's not just me, then
                      I had the same problem (posted about it on the 'Forum Usage' forum). Also sent a pm to WillB who fixed it for me.

WillB rules
                      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Hi Bhaal, thanks for your reply, I am sorry for my late one. The dispute is about a slightly cracked shower tray that was already cracked when I have started the tenancy. Obviously after almost a year it went worse but not that much. The LL has not provided evidences of expenses or quotes, refused ADR and not started Court procedings even threating to do so. Even if I had not to do, I sent a estimator to my previous flat, but it could not make quotes since the LL already removed the shower tray. To make it short the LL is claiming the full deposit plus a month worth of rent since the flat was not ready for other tenants (even if it was advertised on the local papers). I'm in England. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by pinka View Post
                          Hi Bhaal, thanks for your reply, I am sorry for my late one. The dispute is about a slightly cracked shower tray that was already cracked when I have started the tenancy. Obviously after almost a year it went worse but not that much.
                          Was there an inventory carried out at the start and end of the tenancy, and if so what reference was made to the shower tray being cracked in either/both inventory?

Comment

I am pretty sure there was no mention of a shower tray on the initial inventory, unfortunately I have somehow lost it. The end inventory was an email reporting that damage.

Comment

Originally posted by pinka View Post
                              I am pretty sure there was no mention of a shower tray on the initial inventory, unfortunately I have somehow lost it.
                              Depending how sure 'pretty sure' is, that's probably a big factor in determining the outcome of your proposed court case. Eg, if you signed something at the start of the tenancy to the effect that you agreed there was an undamaged bathroom suite, then you'd likely be on thin ice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent arrears
                                by ChrisDennison
                                jpkeates I agree once more with your sentiment. I would only add to that that rent arrears can be claimed for six years, so there might not be much urgency to push this now. Of course if the tenant stops paying altogether or threatens this, then I for once would throw all of my tools at them....
                                23-09-2020, 10:29 AM
                              • Rent arrears
                                by MP31
                                Hi

I have a tenant who got in arrears in the end of 2019 by 1.5 months because of work then continued to pay full rent until Covid. He couldn't work and was unfortunate to not get furlough or any government scheme other that UC so we arranged a reduced for 4 months. Now he is behind further...
                                22-09-2020, 19:58 PM
                              • Reply to Do you regularly (or at all) increase rent for existing tenants?
                                by jpucng62
                                I'm not sure that tenants on lower than market rent realise that they are - they probably don't keep an eye on things the way a LL might. I regularly check Rightmove to assess what is happening and use this information in my review of rents, but I think tenants probably only look when they want to move....
                                23-09-2020, 10:21 AM
                              • Do you regularly (or at all) increase rent for existing tenants?
                                by ChrisDennison
                                I would like to gauge your experience on this - in all my properties I have never increased rent in an existing tenancy, regardless of how long the tenant stays. Am I stupid or normal or somewhere in between?

I’m of course happy to adjust to market rent whenever a tenant moves out and...
                                19-09-2020, 19:00 PM
                              • Reply to Can I exercise break clause and notice period
                                by DPT57
                                The landlord doesn't have to want to live there now. Its sufficient to have lived there previously....
                                23-09-2020, 10:20 AM
                              • Can I exercise break clause and notice period
                                by wildflower
                                According to the tenancy agreement, I, as landlord, may terminate the tenancy by serving a break notice on the tenant. This is an assured shorthold tenancy and the break notice period must be at least two months. Am I correct in thinking that this means that I would seek possession under Section 8 rather...
                                20-09-2020, 05:07 AM
                              • Reply to Direct Debit vs Standing Order
                                by ChrisDennison
                                Ok that’s a fair point for questioning further. Although from the other posts it sounds as if direct debit would actually be better for the tenant, not worse. So I would be more worried if a tenant says ‘I only pay you by direct debit’.

Well whenever I look at my statements...
                                23-09-2020, 10:19 AM
                              • Direct Debit vs Standing Order
                                by danwestgarth
                                Has anyone any experience in collecting rent from tenants using Direct Debit opposed to Standing Order? From what i understand, with Direct Debit the payee (landlord) is in control, rather than the payor (tenant). JCould be a good way to minimize missed payments during covid-19. Does anyone know of...
                                22-09-2020, 15:44 PM
                              • Reply to Rent arrears
                                by jpkeates
                                A tenant who doesn't communicate well about arrears wouldn't be unusual.

In normal times I would suggest serving notice and use MCOL for the arrears.
                                But with six month's notice and a huge court backlog, that's less appropriate.
                                The risk of the tenant either stopping paying...
                                23-09-2020, 10:01 AM
                              • Reply to Direct Debit vs Standing Order
                                by boletus
                                It's just one of many, many things that come up during a natural conversation with a prospective tenant. E.g "How are you paying the rent?"

DD & SO are often used interchangeably. I've lost count of the amount of times I've explained it. A tenant knowing the difference wouldn't...
                                23-09-2020, 10:00 AM
                              Working...
                              X