What TV/Telephone/Internet connections should I provide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What TV/Telephone/Internet connections should I provide?

I am about to purchase my first BuyToLet property and I would like some advice on what I will reasonably be expected to provide for my tenant in relation to Telephone, TV and internet connections.

The property is new and has TV and Telephone sockets but obviously no connections as yet.

My area will be going over to digital TV in September so this may affect things too.

Please help as I am new at this game!

Hiya,

"The property is new and has TV and Telephone sockets but obviously no connections as yet."

The telephone sockets are usually branded (i.e Cable or BT) which should help you decide! - otherwise you'll have to pay for install (not much these days)

As for what you reasonably expected, I'd say neither - if the tenent wants to have such things installed they will need your permission, but the contract is with them, not the property as far as I know - so i'd leave it with them to be honest

Comment

It's up to the tenant to take out any contract with a cable/satellite TV, phone/broadband provider.

As for what you lay on, it's really up to you. There's no minimum standard and it depends who your target market is. I have two rental flats in central London and let mostly to young professionals who expect broadband and cable/satellite TV. One flat has a BT phone socket and Sky dish, the other has a Virgin Media connection as it's a high rise block and you can't have satellite.

Note that, if your property has neither and you think it's necessary for your market, you can't get a *new* BT line/free Sky dish installation without taking out a contract. So, in the case of BT, it would be diplomatic (with a high-paying tenant) to reimburse the first tenant for the cost of the new line installation (and subsequent tenants would just pay the usual reconnection charge). With Sky, you can, however, get a private contractor to install a dish. (For me, it's been worth the minor investment of having the Sky dish installed - my latest tenant had a Sky contract/box at his previous flat and was happy he could just transfer his account to the new rental, rather than the expense of a new contract with a different provider).

Comment

Ensure that future tenants seek permission for services not currently installed. Definitely take control of the site of drilled holes and services. It's a good idea to share the initial cost of installation.

Comment

I'd definitely ensure there's a standard terrestrial aerial hooked up but the rest is down to whatever target market you're going for, as has been said.

Whatever you do, make sure prospective tenants are fully aware in writing what's connected and what isn't; and what the responsibilities are regarding getting new services in. Especially since there are non-working sockets which will be visible to applicants. This forum is forever getting enquiries from disgruntled tenants who find they haven't got whatever services they were expecting.

Comment

Thanks.

Thank you for all the replies about my query.
            You have all been a great help. It's good to have sensible and clear advice from people who know what they are talking about. Thanks again.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X