Tenant left without notice

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tenant left without notice

    I have a tenant who had been on a short term residential lease for over a year and all was well. She contacted me by phone to say she was experiencing difficulty paying the rent and would have to give notice. To help I offered to try and assist by reducing her payments and she said she would discuss it with her family and get back to me. She never contacted me and didn't answer her phone. I live over 200 miles from the property and so couldn't just call on her. The next rent was not paid and so I asked a neighbour to check on the property for me. I found out that the tenant had left the property some weeks earlier without having given the written notice required. Her phone is not connecting and she has left unpaid bills to the utilities and several other companies. There are also some CC judgements arrived for her for unpaid debts with others. She owes me over £1,000 in rent.
    I have made enquiries and am close to locating her new address. No letters or papers were served on her by me before she left. How much time do I have to trace her? If it takes longer than say 6 months, am I barred from taking legal action and do I have to serve any notices on her regarding leaving the tenancy without proper notice before I can start court proceedings? Are there any other options available to me to recover my missing rent. She did leave a bond but she also left some damage that has taken the amount of the bond to repair.

    Attach an absndonment notice to all exit doors (you can find a notice wording by putting it into Google) giving the tenant 7 days to contact you.

    As you have made reasonable efforts to contact the absconding tenant then you miuth want to do the above. The only sure way is via the courts but you might take a considered view that she has left. You could still pursue her through the SCC for any unpaid rent, but if you want to be really safe, serve a S.8 Ground 8 Notice at the premises and go that route.
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


    Latest Activity