Landlord wants to inspect my flat with surveyor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord wants to inspect my flat with surveyor.

He put a piece of paper with this information on 3 days ago and that's perfectly fine. But he said he will do the inspection at 1pm and I'm at work at that time.

Therefore I texted him saying I prefer to be there when they inspect my flat and about 6pm would be much more convenient for me.

He called me immediately telling me that he will charge me £150 for this inspection if I want to reschedule this appointment. I talked to a friend about this already and he told me it is impossible to do that but... he said he will enter the flat either I want it or not because he has the keys.

My question is, does he have the right to do that?

Especially when I agreed to inspection but chosen more convenient time.

No, L has no such right if you refuse. There are many hundreds of LZ posts on this very topic! I searched 'ENTERING' and found:
    a. http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...light=entering; and
    b. http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...light=entering
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by InBrainFaith View Post
      He put a piece of paper with this information on 3 days ago and that's perfectly fine. But he said he will do the inspection at 1pm and I'm at work at that time.

Therefore I texted him saying I prefer to be there when they inspect my flat and about 6pm would be much more convenient for me.

He called me immediately telling me that he will charge me £150 for this inspection if I want to reschedule this appointment. I talked to a friend about this already and he told me it is impossible to do that but... he said he will enter the flat either I want it or not because he has the keys.

My question is, does he have the right to do that?

Especially when I agreed to inspection but chosen more convenient time.
      No, you have the right to be there when he inspects, or even to refuse a visit altogether and to change the locks (as long as you cange them back at the end of the tenancy).

Any clause inyour contract which says you must allow inspections (except in an emergency, which this does not sound to be), are enforceable only with a court order. If the LL lets himself in when you have said you do not give consent, he is laying himself open to charges of harassment if he does it more than once. Threatening to charge you £150 smacks of bullying to me.

What you do in response will depend on how long you want to stay living there and how much aggravation you are willing to put up with. Do you have a particular reason for not wanting him and the surveyor in during the day? (Not that you need one).
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        No, you have the right to be there when he inspects, or even to refuse a visit altogether and to change the locks (as long as you cange them back at the end of the tenancy).

Any clause inyour contract which says you must allow inspections (except in an emergency, which this does not sound to be), are enforceable only with a court order. If the LL lets himself in when you have said you do not give consent, he is laying himself open to charges of harassment if he does it more than once. Threatening to charge you £150 smacks of bullying to me.

What you do in response will depend on how long you want to stay living there and how much aggravation you are willing to put up with. Do you have a particular reason for not wanting him and the surveyor in during the day? (Not that you need one).
        The only reason is _I'm at work_ I finish about 5 so I can be at home at 6pm.

The problem is I like the property, I'm living here for 2 years now but I hate to be threaten!

You know how it is, I can find another flat and move but it takes a lot of time and effort so I would like to stay but with respect to my privacy...

Btw. how can I check if he secured my deposit in TDS?

Comment

How can I check if he secured my deposit in TDS?
          There are only three schemes available. TDS is just one of them. Contact all three to track-down which of them (if any) holds your £££.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thank you all for your advices.

I don't want to make a mess so I'll post my question here.

I didn't sign any inventory documents ever. The floor in kitchen is in bad shape from the beginning but I wonder if LL can deduct any money for that in this situation?

Comment

Do keep in mind that the surveyor is probably dictating the time. If your landlord has more than one property in the block (ie a portfolio) he may well charge to come back again. I certainly have at times where I thought the landlord was messing me about and I had to travel a bit of a distance.

Comment

Originally posted by davidjpowell View Post
                Do keep in mind that the surveyor is probably dictating the time. If your landlord has more than one property in the block (ie a portfolio) he may well charge to come back again. I certainly have at times where I thought the landlord was messing me about and I had to travel a bit of a distance.
                That is the landlord's problem, though, not the tenant's, isn't it?
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thank you all for your advices.

I don't want to make a mess so I'll post my question here.

I didn't sign any inventory documents ever. The floor in kitchen is in bad shape from the beginning but I wonder if LL can deduct any money for that in this situation?

The LL would find it very hard, probably impossible, to persuade a deposit scheme arbitrator that he should charge you for new flooring in the absence of an inventory signed by you.

Comment

The LL would find it very hard, probably impossible, to persuade a deposit scheme arbitrator that he should charge you for new flooring in the absence of an inventory signed by you.
                    Thank you for this information.

I have a picture from the time when I moved in with the floor on it, it's not the perfect one but clearly shows that there is something wrong with it. I have a witneses too, because I had warming up party, so it would be a really difficult case for him but I wanted to make sure I'm on the safe side.

Comment

I like the sound of a 'warming up party'.

Comment

OK I'm at home and I have agreement in front of me.

2.10 allow the Landlord or anyone with the Landlord's written permission to enter the Property at reasonable times of the day to inspect its condition and state of repair, carry out any necessary repairs and gas inspections, or during the last month of the Term, show the property to prospective new tenants, provided the Landlord has given reasonable prior notice (except in emergency).

Is this "and" in bold making a difference?

Comment

I've changed the lock because I was quite sure he would let him self in when I'm at work but what he can do about it?

I never said I don't want the inspection, all I wanted is to do it when I'm at home at that time :/

Comment

The only reason is _I'm at work_ I finish about 5 so I can be at home at 6pm.
                            Be reasonable !
                            What time do you think the surveyor finishes work, chances are he knocks off at 5 as well ?

If you are concerned about privacy etc can't you arrange for a friend/relative to be present ?
                            A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                            W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                              Be reasonable !
                              What time do you think the surveyor finishes work, chances are he knocks off at 5 as well ?

If you are concerned about privacy etc can't you arrange for a friend/relative to be present ?
                              Believe me, I'm resonable!

I can go to work a little bit later for instance or come back a little bit earlier BUT he did not try to be flexible, he started with threats and speech "I have keys so I can enter the flat when you are not there!"

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X