What rights do I get with Holding deposit paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What rights do I get with Holding deposit paid?

Hi,

I've got a question regarding a holding deposit.
    Me and my partner and our 3 year old were about to move to a rented property on Friday but today ( three days before!! ) I got a phone call from agent saying that it will not be possible. Apparently the house that our LL was going to bought got flooded and since they have nowhere to go we can not move in.

We paid a holding deposit one month ago and provided all documents and ref's but we were going to sing a contract tomorrow.
    We can't stay at the place that we rent at the moment and since it's only 3 days left we have no chances whatsoever to find another place.

So basically my question is DO WE HAVE ANY TENANTS RIGHTS since we haven't sign any contract? Is an agent responsible for providing us other place? or compensation for this situation ?
    the biggest issue is that we have a little baby and have no where to go at the moment....:[

Thank you for any advise...

J

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to End of tenancy questions
    by leasee123
    So is it best to serve section 21 together with a section 13? As that is the only way to ensure I can get the rent increase?...
    02-12-2021, 09:56 AM
  • End of tenancy questions
    by leasee123
    Hi,

I am a landlord and the current tenancy is coming close to the end of the AST fixed period. I am unsure what the process is when it comes to things like increasing rent and section 21 etc. I am using an agent for tenant find and they do the negotiating with the tenants (and of course...
    01-12-2021, 21:08 PM
  • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
    by bob369
    I wish to gain a court order for eviction, can that be sought in advance of the approaching Notices end date, or does he need to become a 'hold over' tresspasser before I can apply.
    Apologies that is a typo, if it wasn't for the infernal 'Moderator Approval' system being so pedantic I would have...
    02-12-2021, 09:54 AM
  • Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
    by bob369
    Hi,

A Lodger (Excluded Occupier) needs to be excluded as his Notice Period has expired (one calendar month), and he refuses to leave

I understand Police will not get involved to remove him, even though he is tresspassing, understand they view this as Civil not criminal....
    24-11-2021, 23:16 PM
    by jpkeates
    You can charge them any rent that they agree to pay, otherwise, your only option to unilaterally increase the rent is a s13 notice.

The s13 notice includes an appeals process, so you can't simply "evict" someone by charging a ludicrous rent....
    02-12-2021, 09:50 AM
  • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
    by Section20z
    The flat's lease will likely prohibit lettings of more than a year (or class it as an assignment)
    02-12-2021, 09:44 AM
  • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
    by meehr
    For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
    01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
    by leasee123
    But what happens if tenants don't leave (when it was originally agreed they would), can I charge them the higher rent? Because a section 13 would not have been served (given it was agreed they would leave at the end of the fixed term) would I still be allowed to charge them a higher rent?
    02-12-2021, 09:43 AM
  • Reply to who's repsponsibility
    by jpucng62
    Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
    02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
  • who's repsponsibility
    by madmaxwell
    Received message from tenant saying the storm last week had caused the bush/tree at the front of the property to blow over and could I sort asap. I replied I didn't know there was a bush/tree at the front of the property and enclosed the inventory photograph of the front showing this. The tenant responded...
    02-12-2021, 08:54 AM
Working...
X