Renting Electrical Equipment

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Renting Electrical Equipment


    I'm hoping that someone can help me. I have a property which I would like to rent out fully furnished for a minimum period of 6 months. I understand that an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement can be used for this. However, if at the end of the 6 months a tentant wishes to continue to live in the house, what would I need to do.

    The other question I have is this..

    I would like to rent out the electrical equipment in my house. E.g. T.V, DVD, PC etc. The agreement would be that the tenant pays to use these pieces of equipment, however if they are faulty they will not be repaired or replaced. Is there a standard form/agreement that I can download from the internet?



  • #2
    If you want the tenant to stay after the initial 6 months, you don't have to do anything, the tenancy will automatically become a periodic tenancy. If you want him out after 6 months you would have to serve notice after 4 months.

    Don't know about your second question, sorry!


    • #3
      If you want to charge a tenant for the use of the electrical equipment you mention then you would normally be expected to maintain it. In my case I sometimes do this when I am renting out a property with, say, a dishwasher in it. Then I tell the tenant that the rent does not include the use of the dishwasher, so if it breaks down you can either repair it yourself or replace it with your own.
      You can put your terms in a letter to your new tenant and they can either accept them or reduce what they pay and you remove the equipment.
      In any case you MUST ensure that any electrical items are safe to use.

      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.


      Latest Activity