How long does a Court order for possession last?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does a Court order for possession last?

Following succesful sec 8 process, Ive been awarded a N26 possession order for a rented house that I own. Possession date has now passed and T is still there but she is now saying that she wants to stay and will try to pay rent arrears asap. Rather than try and trace a runner, I would rather keep her where I can see her (providing of course she does pay the rent and arrears) but what happens to the N26 if I let her stay?

Does it expire after a certain time ?

Does it become null and void if accept further rent payments - As I understand it, the possession order has nulified the tenancy so if I accept any further rent I will establish a new tenancy to which the original N26 will not apply ???

Would I be better off accepting monthly payments as repayment of debt and not accept rent until arrears have been paid ?
    Should I get the bailiffs to chuck her out and take my chances on enforcement of arrears repayment ?
    Thanks

You cannot be serious - but just in case you are:

Should I get the bailiffs to chuck her out and take my chances on enforcement of arrears repayment ?
    Thanks
    YES!

Comment

The tenant will remain a tenant until you apply a Warrant of Possession is executed by the Court Bailiff.

I believe that if you don't grant a new tenancy then you can apply for the warrant whenever you want to (obviously only after the date the Court ordered the tenant to give up possession by).

I'd give her a chance, if she doesn't stick to the agreement ask the Courts for a warrant.

If you are unsure about what to do seek professional Legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by House View Post

I'd give her a chance, if she doesn't stick to the agreement ask the Courts for a warrant.

She hasn't stuck to the agreement for the past 4 months or so - that was chance enough. Time for an eviction.

Comment

Originally posted by harry1001 View Post
          She hasn't stuck to the agreement for the past 4 months or so - that was chance enough. Time for an eviction.
          I agree, this isn't exactly a strong statement anyway;

Originally posted by sting2 View Post
          ...... will try to pay rent arrears asap ....

Is it a business or a charity, why go to court in the first place?
          I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

She is clutching at straws and will say anything to stay! get her out asap before you lose anymore money!
            GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Yup - I know it - time to chuck her out. Any advice wrt steps to take to maximise chances of getting back rent from her once shes gone ? BTW I think I know where she works and I do have her bank details .... so attachment of earnings perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by sting2 View Post
                Yup - I know it - time to chuck her out. Any advice wrt steps to take to maximise chances of getting back rent from her once shes gone ? BTW I think I know where she works and I do have her bank details .... so attachment of earnings perhaps.
                You can also consider a third party order, where you freeze her bank account and recover the money in the account against the arrears.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
                  aciduzzo
                  I will have three guarantors as there are three (student) tenants. The agency has sent me a guarantee-of-deed sample, but i'm not sure whether i should send a separate one to all guarantors, or just have one listing all guarantors. What do others on here do?
                  25-07-2017, 10:05 AM
                • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
                  theartfullodger
                  How will you know who actually signs? Either do it front of you after copying id or via solicitor
                  25-07-2017, 12:40 PM
                • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                  Pb21
                  Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                  25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                  theartfullodger
                  It is landlord's responsibility, he may then choose to charge you for it (don't pay).

If he refuses to fix it, not a lot you can do, sorry
                  25-07-2017, 12:37 PM
                • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                  mariner
                  What was stolen?
                  Did you have personal contents Ins?
                  LL is resp for repairing the door, which he may claim from your deposit or give you the bill to pay.
                  Why did you not notify him of broken mortice lock, which gave burglar easier access and may have compromised LL's Ins?
                  Personally,...
                  25-07-2017, 12:37 PM
                • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                  Jcg76
                  I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                  Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                  24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                  leaseholder64
                  I would also have thought this was a case where planning permission was needed, as being flats, the normal permitted development rights, for extensions, would not apply. In that case, you, or rather your tenant, who should have forwarded it to you, should have received a consultation letter from the...
                  25-07-2017, 10:55 AM
                • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
                  jpkeates
                  Each guarantor is guaranteeing their own student's liabilities, so there needs to be three deeds.

Remember that each guarantor needs to see the tenancy agreement that they are guaranteeing (or one that is identical in terms) before they sign any deed and you should advise them in writing...
                  25-07-2017, 10:34 AM
                • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                  jpkeates
                  I'd suggest that tell the freeholder that your tenants are so badly affected by the work that you will either have to allow them to leave or offer a significant incentive to stay - which might be equal to all of the rent as compensation (if they were to leave). And see how they respond.

25-07-2017, 10:30 AM
                • AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
                  scooter08
                  Hi, Guys, I have posted a few threads on this forum now and although the section 21 notice is probably invalid I don't want to let the landlord know that yet.
                  I'm after help with writing my landlord a letter. He wants us out on the 31/07/17 and keeps asking me how I intend to leave the keys for...
                  25-07-2017, 09:54 AM
                Working...
                X