Telephone Number Question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Telephone Number Question

    I have a somewhat simple questions regarding the telephone number of a flat we are currently renting, but about to move out of

    The contract states:

    Not to change the telephone number without the consent of the landlord. Consent will not be unreasonably withheld. If consent is given to provide the Landlord and the Agent with the telephone number immediately the transfer is made and pay the reasonable charges of any telephone company to store the Landlords's telephone number until the end of the Tenancy.

    We managed to retain the LL's number when we activated the phone service in our names (I asked the BT person when setting up the account if we could have the same number and they managed to reinstate it for us), but now we are moving to a property down the road where we are able to move the number to the new flat as it's the same exchange.

    The BT person I spoke to told me that the LL does not own the number, BT does. They also insisted that there is not any guaruntee that the LL would get their number back once we left anyway as all numbers are placed back in a pool of numbers.

    So, based on the above clause in the contract, and info from BT, would we be within our rights to transfer the number to our new flat? Or do we have to give it back to BT so the LL could request it?

    Thoughts/comments would be appreciated please.


    Follow the advice of BT as it's correct; the clause in your TA is unenforceable on you as the contract for the telephone line is between the supplier (BT) and the consumer (you), so you can take the number with you.
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


      Brilliant, thanks Paul_f.



        But don't be surprised if the LL notices and then charges you something off the deposit.. Almost certainly illegally...

        I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        Latest Activity