Telephone Number Question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Telephone Number Question

    I have a somewhat simple questions regarding the telephone number of a flat we are currently renting, but about to move out of

    The contract states:

    Not to change the telephone number without the consent of the landlord. Consent will not be unreasonably withheld. If consent is given to provide the Landlord and the Agent with the telephone number immediately the transfer is made and pay the reasonable charges of any telephone company to store the Landlords's telephone number until the end of the Tenancy.

    We managed to retain the LL's number when we activated the phone service in our names (I asked the BT person when setting up the account if we could have the same number and they managed to reinstate it for us), but now we are moving to a property down the road where we are able to move the number to the new flat as it's the same exchange.

    The BT person I spoke to told me that the LL does not own the number, BT does. They also insisted that there is not any guaruntee that the LL would get their number back once we left anyway as all numbers are placed back in a pool of numbers.

    So, based on the above clause in the contract, and info from BT, would we be within our rights to transfer the number to our new flat? Or do we have to give it back to BT so the LL could request it?

    Thoughts/comments would be appreciated please.


    Follow the advice of BT as it's correct; the clause in your TA is unenforceable on you as the contract for the telephone line is between the supplier (BT) and the consumer (you), so you can take the number with you.
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


      Brilliant, thanks Paul_f.



        But don't be surprised if the LL notices and then charges you something off the deposit.. Almost certainly illegally...

        I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        Latest Activity


        • Reply to Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
          by HobbitShire
          Sorry but I must reitterate that she DID provide all documents which were initially requested before both parties signed the lease. This new, rigid requirement for a utility bill only came a day before the agreed move-in date.

          This is not a case of a prospective tenant having no paper trail....
          20-01-2022, 01:28 AM
        • Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
          by HobbitShire
          My partner has recently signed a lease through a well known property agent in London.

          The lease was also signed by the landlord. References from current + previous employer, landlord, etc, and proof of address were requested before signing, and provided.

          Upon signing the lease...
          20-01-2022, 00:57 AM
        • Reply to Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
          by HobbitShire
          Firstly, she already provided the previous lease, along with a document from the municipality of Amsterdam stating that she was registered as living there. I paid the bills as we were living together, and she has closed her Dutch bank account (as is required when you are no longer a resident). I'm sure...
          20-01-2022, 01:11 AM
        • Reply to Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
          by Jon66
          No bank statements with the old address on? These are available freely from your online account, or previous utility bills, council tax bills etc. I find it difficult to accept that they are unable to provide something. I would have concerns if you were my prospective tenant. You need to provide the...
          20-01-2022, 01:02 AM
        • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
          by minorbark
          When you put it like that I'm more inclined to edge towards the S21 route regardless. As much as part of me feels some compassion for the guy and doesn't want to lump more stress on top of someone who appears to be struggling already, as has been said before, none of us are acting as a charity.
          19-01-2022, 22:51 PM
        • Property damaged. Advice please
          by minorbark
          Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

          TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
          18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
        • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
          by minorbark
          Thank you.

          My initial contact with the police was just a phone call to the local station. As I almost half expected they wouldn't give up much info, I didn't particularly push back when they said as much and I left it at that. A formal complaint might fill in a few blanks in the story but...
          19-01-2022, 22:37 PM
        • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
          by Hudson01
          A back door way into finding out what did happen (or more info than you have now), is to ask for a callback from the local PCSO who covers the beat area where the tenant lives (go online and start a live chat), he or she will know far more about your tenant that a faceless comms operator at HQ or anyone...
          19-01-2022, 22:17 PM
        • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
          by DoricPixie
          Just because someone knocks on your door, even if it crescendos to them banging loudly on your door, it doesn’t mean you have to answer it or have to go and investigate.

          If the tenant suffers from mental health issues and the police were sent round because someone thought the tenant’s...
          19-01-2022, 21:47 PM
        • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
          by WebLand
          From painful personal experience of this issue... You should formally contact the police, ask them why they broke the door down and ask for compensation. Their lawyer will then write to you with some information which may be useful for you to know (but not giving very much detail). I expect they'll...
          19-01-2022, 21:31 PM