best way to proceed section 21 or section 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best way to proceed section 21 or section 8

I am seeking advice regarding the best way to proceed with regaining possesion of a flat. It was rented on a 6 month AST on the 10th November 2008 and at that time a Section 21 notice was issued to coincide with the expiry of the term. The tenant was to receive Housing Benefit paid directly to her and at first paid the rent but then went into arrears, I approached the Benefits Agency and when she was eight weeks in arrears they arranged for payment to be made direct to me leaving her still liable for the top up, which she has never paid despite numerous phone calls visits, texts etc when she has promised to pay. Although I am receiving her Housing Benefit the arrears are now well in excess of eight weeks so in March I issued a Section 8 notice which has now expired. This weekend I visited the property as a last resort before issuing proceedings under the Sec 8 and was advised by tenants in other flats and another reliable source that she has now moved 200 miles away and is not returning and has not left a forwarding adress. I have had no recent contact from her and now her number is unobtainable, neither has she returned the keys. The property has been left in reasonable condition but some furniture remains which on enquiry I find had been donated to her by the local Church who are more than willing to take them back.
    My problem is what is the best way to proceed, can I simply take reposssion on the 10th of May as she is clearly not returning or do I need to take Court action either under Sec 8 or Sec 21?
    Any advice would be appreciated Thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X