Landord refuses to give breadown of costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landord refuses to give breadown of costs

Hi, can anyone advise me regarding Landords refusing to give a breakdown of costs against repairs/cleaning defects they claim should be taken from deposit money.
    Our tenancy ended on 11th March. Landlady did final inspection. (Letting agents had only been employed to advertise and deal with admin for new tenants. Landlady also responsible for maintenance.) Landlady did not carry out pre-occupancy inspection. There were major defects in place when we moved in. However, L is claiming £470 against her list of defects which has only been supported by an estimate from a landscape garden company. Several letters have been sent to her constantly requesting a full breakdown of costs set against each of the repair items. She maintains that she does not have to provide this breakdown and her latest letter says that that is how Landord's pass on third party costs!! And basically she is afronted that she has been asked to provide (what I consider to be good business practice) by supplying a breakdown of costs. She is also threatening now to take legal action against me if I do not comply, and she is aiming to recoupe her legal/admin/interest lost, yet it is me that so far has lost out. I need my deposit money back asap, after reasonable monies taken to compensate her for her losses. I have agreed those defects and provided her with a breakdown of costs which equate to approximately half of what she is claiming. I believe it is time to pass this dispute on to the Dispute Service, but I would be interested if anyone has faced this sort of block before whereby the L believes all they have to do is obtain an estimate and expect the T just to settle against an unqualified figure. Thanks. Minnie

Minnie, you'll have to be much more specific please. £470 for what exactly! Which trades are required, what needs to be repaired/redecorated etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Minnie View Post
      Hi, can anyone advise me regarding Landords refusing to give a breakdown of costs against repairs/cleaning defects they claim should be taken from deposit money.
      Our tenancy ended on 11th March. Landlady did final inspection. (Letting agents had only been employed to advertise and deal with admin for new tenants. Landlady also responsible for maintenance.) Landlady did not carry out pre-occupancy inspection. There were major defects in place when we moved in. However, L is claiming £470 against her list of defects which has only been supported by an estimate from a landscape garden company. Several letters have been sent to her constantly requesting a full breakdown of costs set against each of the repair items. She maintains that she does not have to provide this breakdown and her latest letter says that that is how Landord's pass on third party costs!! And basically she is afronted that she has been asked to provide (what I consider to be good business practice) by supplying a breakdown of costs. She is also threatening now to take legal action against me if I do not comply, and she is aiming to recoupe her legal/admin/interest lost, yet it is me that so far has lost out. I need my deposit money back asap, after reasonable monies taken to compensate her for her losses. I have agreed those defects and provided her with a breakdown of costs which equate to approximately half of what she is claiming. I believe it is time to pass this dispute on to the Dispute Service, but I would be interested if anyone has faced this sort of block before whereby the L believes all they have to do is obtain an estimate and expect the T just to settle against an unqualified figure. Thanks. Minnie
      When you say the LL did not carry out a pre-occupancy inspection, do you mean there was no check-in inventory agreed and signed by the tenant(s) - or was thatdone by the agency?

Was your deposit protected in a deposit protection scheme, or not?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X