Dog Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog Question

Hello, I am seeking to rent a house, but have a dog. Looking at the rental web-sites most of the properties I might be interested in seem to have a 'no pets' statement attached. How much of a problem is this likely to cause me?

Thanks,
    Mr T

Originally posted by mrterrific View Post
    Hello, I am seeking to rent a house, but have a dog. Looking at the rental web-sites most of the properties I might be interested in seem to have a 'no pets' statement attached. How much of a problem is this likely to cause me?

Thanks,
    Mr T

In principle, it would appear to be an insurmountable one. You have a dog; dogs are not allowed in the properties you are interested in.

In reality, the problem will generally be bigger or smaller in direct proportion to the size, noisiness and ferocity of your dog and in inverse proprtion to its capacity for obedience and to how desperate the LL is to let the property. It might be worth pleading with the agents/LLs and offering an extra large deposit to cover the cost of deep-cleaning, re-flooring and de-fleaing the entire house if necessary, when you leave.

LLs generally dislike letting to tenants with dogs, for good reasons. However, in the end, market forces will prevail. There is a glut of properties to let in some areas at present and some LLs may be persuaded, albeit reluctantly, that you and your mutt are a better prospect than an empty property. If, on the other hand, they have dog-free prospects beating a path to their door to sign for their houses, then you will have to think again.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

As the owner of a small, well behaved dog I sympathise with responsible dog owning tenants who seek permission to keep their dog(s) in my premises. I have a number of questions I ask them about their dogs and how they look after them and if I get the right answers, I usually let them keep their dogs in my properties. Warning: About four years ago I let out a two bedroomed maisonnette to a single divorced lady in her early 60's. The property had just been re-decorated and re-carpeted at a cost of well over £1000. After a few months she acquired a small Yorkshire Terrier. We own a standard Yorkie, love and spoil him to bits, so I was sympathetic. Hers was also a delightful dog. The lady concerned has just moved out after over 4 years residence. Apparently, she never took her little dog out for a walk, and never bothered to let him out in the garden much. Naturally, this person has failed to leave a forwarding address, declining to pay her last month's rent so that it could come out of her deposit.
      The stench of dog urine in the place was unbelievable! New carpets and complete redecoration again before I dare let another prospective tenant even view the property!
      Now - am I going to continue to be sympathetic to potential dog owning tenants?

P.P.
      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Not a great tenant then! Mind you I would have thought you'd have spotted it during a periodic inspection if it was that bad. I certainly don't mind landlords popping around every six months or so to check that I'm not wrecking the place!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X