Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonboy
    replied
    well said p.p. i would ask the agent to deal with replacements then the hassle is off you, you can still advertise and dshow them around, just direct them to the agent to sign up.

Leave a comment:

• P.Pilcher
    replied
    I understand that in law you are obliged to pay the rent for the flat for the fixed term of the contract. However, under these circumstances, the landlord (or his agent) is obliged to use his best endeavours to find a replacement. You are expected to pay the landlord's reasonable costs to find a replacement and pay the rent until the new tenant starts to pay same. If you start advertising to find a tenant to replace yourself, he/she may not meet the landlord's criteria with regard to creditworthiness e.t.c. and thus not be accepted by same.

One of my properties is in a very desirable town centre location. Whenever my current tenant decides to leave I tend to get quite a few telephone calls from potential tenants. When I tell them to contact my highly reputable agent, they seem to disappear - I wonder why?

P.P.

Leave a comment:

• nipster
    started a topic Tenant seeking replacement tenant

Tenant seeking replacement tenant

Hello,

I am new here and would like to ask for your opinions please.

I have just signed a new 6 month lease on a flat at 750pcm and, would you credit it, the house of my dreams turned up.
    So I am buying it.

However, my landlord's property managers have said I must find a replacement tenant in order to get out of my lease.
    Fair enough - although I wish I'd known about periodic leases before I signed.

I put an advert in the local shop window and I just had a call from a Mr Somethingzki saying he was looking for a flat for himself, g/f and friend but maybe just looking for a room. I stalled him and didn't give any details.

Suddenly it doesn't seem like such a good idea - I mean, I have to let complete strangers (mobile phone no only) into my flat and have a good look around at all my stuff all boxed up and ready to go.

Is there a proven method for private letting that makes it safe?

I know there are dodgy geezers out there on both sides but how do you really know by yourself - apart from to trust your instincts?

I had a near-miss many years ago when I went to rent a flat from an ad in Loot, the guy offered it to me but I just felt there was something 'not quite right'. (I seem to remember he was calling himself Mark Thatcher!).

A few weeks later I saw in the local paper that 13 people had all turned up at the same time to move in, having each paid him about £1000 up front.

Phew. It could have been me.

Maybe I should just grit my teeth this one time and pay a letting agent, what do you think ? Or am I just being paranoid?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X