licensing of private rented accomodation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlords in Scotland to register ALL properties

For landlords, like myself who are based in Scotland, every rental property owned needs to be registered with the local council by March 31st 2006. All housing legislation is now a devolved issue and this law has come from the Scottish Parliament.

The cost for a landlord to register is £55 and then £11 per property. If you have properties in more than one local authority area, you will have to pay a reduced registration fee and £11 per property. The £55 figure is paid to the council where you have most properties.

This is legislation, which one very vocal MSP has pushed for and each of the 32 local authorities are not happy with the increased administation.

There will be a website launched near the end of February where you can register the properties and pay on-line or wait for the council to invoice you. Suggest that you wait to be invoiced as the administraion of this will be a long process.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Coronavirus - no rent payments due to self-isolation
      by Stew
      As mentioned above reading between the lines the agent may have contacted after yourself and applied some pressure with threat of eviction on behalf of the landlord. This is maybe the reason for the change of attitude.

Some RGI companies such as direct line (I believe) are not processing...
      09-04-2020, 23:29 PM
    • Coronavirus - no rent payments due to self-isolation
      by AustralianGuy
      I have an investment property I have been renting out for five years. I use the services of a letting agent who provides a full management service. This includes vetting prospective tenants and providing a rental guarantee and eviction service if the tenants fail to pay the rent. It is expensive as...
      08-04-2020, 19:51 PM
    • Reply to Lodger eviction
      by Stew
      Hi I would check your lodger agreement, even if this was a HMO I don't believe she would be entitled to sleep on the sofa. Personally I would class this as unreasonble unless she is ill and cannot climb the stairs but you mention it's a flat.

Getting the other documents sent to your partners...
      09-04-2020, 22:54 PM
    • Lodger eviction
      by 2Toasty
      A lodger moved in to a spare room 2 months ago. I was going to be there 3/4 times a week. I live elsewhere. We share utility bills equally. What she didn't mention at the interview was that she is very asthmatic, convalescing from an op, and prone to chest infections. Aged 66, she is now on the very...
      08-04-2020, 18:21 PM
      by 2Toasty
      Hi Stew Thanks for taking the time to answer, and all the other replies.

Yes it is my own place. Council tax paid by me, and all utilities in my name. Other statements go to my partner's place. She is not registered at my address with banks or anything else.

We have a...
      09-04-2020, 22:07 PM
    • Reply to Changing AST from joint to single
      by rupert206
      Thanks for all the responses so far. Appreciated. So the tenant who is currently living at the property has asked me that she wants a new ast in sole name as she is no longer with partner.

Do i tell her that i need a written letter from her partner who is no longer at the property? Once...
      09-04-2020, 21:54 PM
    • Changing AST from joint to single
      by rupert206
      Hi all,

I had a periodic AST with my tenants in a joint name. Recently the tenant has split up with her partner and has requested a new tenancy agreement to be drawn up in a single name.

Is this necessary or can the existing periodic agreement continue?

If it is...
      09-04-2020, 17:46 PM
      by Stew
      Hi 2Toasty

So I noticed in your first post you wrote "I was going to be there 3/4 times a week", is this your own house that you bought and previously lived in full time and is the other place you stay a partners house and you have not legal ownership over it? - If this is the...
      09-04-2020, 21:16 PM
      by hamilton
      No good deed goes unpunished!...
      09-04-2020, 20:44 PM
    • Reply to Experiences with subletting?
      by hamilton
      Check that your landlord allows it. If so, you'd use a lodger agreement. That means you can ask the person to leave pretty easily if it goes bad. You can also take a deposit equal to a month's rent, and then use that if they miss a rental payment or cause any damage. It doesn't have to be protected....
      09-04-2020, 20:43 PM
    Working...
    X