X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preston
    replied
    Originally posted by oscar1 View Post
    Could someone please advise who is liable for changing lightbulbs in a rented property.
    Hi

As others have indicated, there is no obligation implied into the tenancy agreement by statute or case law requiring the landlord to replace light bulbs. So, the issue will come down to the contract between landlord and tenant in other words, what has been agreed in writing, or orally or impliedly between the parties. It is best to cover this issue in the tenancy agreement.

I agree with others, though, that its best to take a pragmatic view, bearing in mind in particular the health and safety issues. Indeed, with regard to the latter, if replacing a light bulb is inherently dangerous because of, for example, the design of the light fitting or its location, you may well have an obligation under other legislation to carry out a risk assessment, and/or to ensure that it is replaced by a properly trained person and/or to change the location or design to reduce the risk.

You may also have obligations under other legislation to ensure that lighting is properly maintained and in working order in shared or communal areas (for example, The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005).

So, in principle this question is not as easy as it may sound although I do think it most instances the sensible way forward will be fairly clear.

Preston

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
    No Naked flames - correct.

Battery operated candles - cut down on sooty ceilings as well.
    I have a bicycle rigged up to a generator for recharge purposes on cloudy days, when the sun is out, the solar panels over all the windows do the trick
    Definitely a Morlock!

Leave a comment:

• Rodent1
    replied
    Originally posted by Bel View Post
    I thought you banned them in your tenancy agreement?

They must live in the dark.

No Naked flames - correct.

Battery operated candles - cut down on sooty ceilings as well.
    I have a bicycle rigged up to a generator for recharge purposes on cloudy days, when the sun is out, the solar panels over all the windows do the trick

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    Q: How many lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: As many as you can afford.

Q: How many crossword setters does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: One to ask if you mean the light bulb as opposed to the dark bulb; one to ask if you mean the light bulb as opposed to the heavy bulb; one to ask if you mean the light bulb as opposed to the serious bulb; and one to stand by with Chamber's Dictionary.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy
    replied
    Oscar1, Is this actually a troll posting and you're expecting the members to react? Well, you've got your wish on this occasion.

Q: How many one-armed tenants does it take to change a lightbulb?
    A: Only one, as long as they kept the till receipt.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Bel View Post

That explains it - Rodent is landlord to a race of subterranean Morlocks.

Leave a comment:

• Bel
    replied
    Lightbulbs, you mean your T have electricity ?
    Mine all use candles.

Leave a comment:

• Bel
    replied
    Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
    This would seem to confirm Oscar Wilde's opinion that nothing useful can be taught.

Changing lightbulbs has to come within a tenant's responsibility and the tenant's ability to do the job should not come into it. The little old lady who cannot do it is in the same postion as a little old lady in her own house.
    I was going to say something similar to this.

Obviously MTG and Bunny are very nice LL's.

If the T can't do it themselves, they can always get someone who can to do it for them and pay if necessary.

Suggest MTG that you have a tarrif saying £5 per light bulb change and see how many you need to do then.

In HMO's with individual room lets, the communal area would be the LL's responsibility.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Mine all use candles.
    Well, you are in Wales.

Leave a comment:

• Rodent1
    replied
    Mine all use candles.

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Don't you believe it.

For the record :
    1. Medicine
    2. Business Studies
    3 & 4 Applied Biology
    5. Law
    6. Physics!
    This would seem to confirm Oscar Wilde's opinion that nothing useful can be taught.

Changing lightbulbs has to come within a tenant's responsibility and the tenant's ability to do the job should not come into it. The little old lady who cannot do it is in the same postion as a little old lady in her own house.

Leave a comment:

• P.Pilcher
    replied
    I recall an oft repeated story in which a number of learned academics were attending a dinner party. The food was magnificent, the wine and other drinks were the finest available and the conversation - it was on an incredibly high academic plane. Then, while the port was being taken the lights went out and nobody at the table knew how to re-set a circuit breaker!

P.P.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by bikemad View Post
    Hey now! Not all students are like that. Must have been studying Arts, and not Engineering!
    Don't you believe it.

For the record :
    1. Medicine
    2. Business Studies
    3 & 4 Applied Biology
    5. Law
    6. Physics!

Leave a comment:

• bikemad
    replied
    Exactly.

(On the other hand, I have also had six students, with a combined IQ of about a million, who claimed that the downstairs cloakroom was unusable because the light bulb needed replacing and none of them had managed to do it because...it was too dark in there

I have to admit, in their case, I wasn't my ususal sympathetic self ).
    Hey now! Not all students are like that. Must have been studying Arts, and not Engineering!

Leave a comment:

• bunny
    replied
    Exactly.

(On the other hand, I have also had six students, with a combined IQ of about a million, who claimed that the downstairs cloakroom was unusable because the light bulb needed replacing and none of them had managed to do it because...it was too dark in there

I have to admit, in their case, I wasn't my ususal sympathetic self ).
    To quote you MTG, EXACTLY!

You have to take a sensible view don't you. A simple question about lightbulbs might seem like it should have a simple answer but that is not always the case!

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X