X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mind the gap
    replied
    Exactly.

(On the other hand, I have also had six students, with a combined IQ of about a million, who claimed that the downstairs cloakroom was unusable because the light bulb needed replacing and none of them had managed to do it because...it was too dark in there

I have to admit, in their case, I wasn't my ususal sympathetic self ).

Leave a comment:

• bunny
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    You may have missed the point here.

OP was not necessarily asking who is responsible for the cost of replacement, so much as the act of replacement.

If your tenant is unable safely to climb a ladder to replace bulbs in a light fitting 10' above floor level, then it is an issue and not a 'trivial' one.

Oscar1 : if tenants are able-bodied and the light fittings are easily accessed, then it is reasonable to expect them to do it.

If tenants may struggle to replace the bulbs to the point of it being a H & S issue, then it is in the LL's interests to show a bit of goodwill and replace them him/herself (or get handyman to). Wherever possible use energy-saving bulbs, which have a longer life anyway.

Yep and also I've experienced issues when taking on properties where the casing won't unscrew etc etc. Obviously I have picked this up and addressed it, had a periodic inspection cert done to ensure all is safe and well but not every landlord may do so.

You can't expect tenants to start meddling with lights where the "straightforward" task of changing a lightbulb has ceased to be the case

I also have two HMOs where the ceilings are ridiculously high. I have had as many lights as possible dropped to a manageable height but it has been difficult in some places especially with bathrooms where you need specific types of lights. I am being accommodating with a tenant who can't change a bulb in one of the lights due to the height issue.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by kikuyu View Post
    Are you asking this question as a landlord or a tenant?

One can buy bulbs at the rate of 6-10 for £1. Therefore it is amazing to see L/L& T arguing over such trivial things.
    You may have missed the point here.

OP was not necessarily asking who is responsible for the cost of replacement, so much as the act of replacement.

If your tenant is unable safely to climb a ladder to replace bulbs in a light fitting 10' above floor level, then it is an issue and not a 'trivial' one.

Oscar1 : if tenants are able-bodied and the light fittings are easily accessed, then it is reasonable to expect them to do it.

If tenants may struggle to replace the bulbs to the point of it being a H & S issue, then it is in the LL's interests to show a bit of goodwill and replace them him/herself (or get handyman to). Wherever possible use energy-saving bulbs, which have a longer life anyway.

Leave a comment:

• kikuyu
    replied
    Originally posted by oscar1 View Post
    Could someone please advise who is liable for changing lightbulbs in a rented property.
    Are you asking this question as a landlord or a tenant?

One can buy bulbs at the rate of 6-10 for £1. Therefore it is amazing to see L/L& T arguing over such trivial things.

Leave a comment:

• bunny
    replied
    Originally posted by oscar1 View Post
    Could someone please advise who is liable for changing lightbulbs in a rented property.

The tenant as a rule. Unless there is a particular problem with the light that prevents them from being able to do so.

If you tell us more info we may be able to be more specific.

Leave a comment:

• oscar1
    started a topic Lightbulbs!

Lightbulbs!

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X