Lightbulbs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bel View Post
    I thought you banned them in your tenancy agreement?

They must live in the dark.
    That explains it - Rodent is landlord to a race of subterranean Morlocks.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Oscar1, Is this actually a troll posting and you're expecting the members to react? Well, you've got your wish on this occasion.

Q: How many one-armed tenants does it take to change a lightbulb?
      A: Only one, as long as they kept the till receipt.

Comment

Q: How many lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: As many as you can afford.

Q: How many crossword setters does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: One to ask if you mean the light bulb as opposed to the dark bulb; one to ask if you mean the light bulb as opposed to the heavy bulb; one to ask if you mean the light bulb as opposed to the serious bulb; and one to stand by with Chamber's Dictionary.

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
          I thought you banned them in your tenancy agreement?

They must live in the dark.

No Naked flames - correct.

Battery operated candles - cut down on sooty ceilings as well.
          I have a bicycle rigged up to a generator for recharge purposes on cloudy days, when the sun is out, the solar panels over all the windows do the trick
          A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
          W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
            No Naked flames - correct.

Battery operated candles - cut down on sooty ceilings as well.
            I have a bicycle rigged up to a generator for recharge purposes on cloudy days, when the sun is out, the solar panels over all the windows do the trick
            Definitely a Morlock!
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by oscar1 View Post
              Could someone please advise who is liable for changing lightbulbs in a rented property.
              Hi

As others have indicated, there is no obligation implied into the tenancy agreement by statute or case law requiring the landlord to replace light bulbs. So, the issue will come down to the contract between landlord and tenant in other words, what has been agreed in writing, or orally or impliedly between the parties. It is best to cover this issue in the tenancy agreement.

I agree with others, though, that its best to take a pragmatic view, bearing in mind in particular the health and safety issues. Indeed, with regard to the latter, if replacing a light bulb is inherently dangerous because of, for example, the design of the light fitting or its location, you may well have an obligation under other legislation to carry out a risk assessment, and/or to ensure that it is replaced by a properly trained person and/or to change the location or design to reduce the risk.

You may also have obligations under other legislation to ensure that lighting is properly maintained and in working order in shared or communal areas (for example, The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005).

So, in principle this question is not as easy as it may sound although I do think it most instances the sensible way forward will be fairly clear.

Preston

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X