Am I allowed to change light fixtures

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stuart Urban
    You can change like for like in a kitchen or bathroom and the work would not be notifiable. i.e. if you have a ceiling rose you can put a new ceiling rose in but not a fancy light fitting.

    Anywhere else you can change to whatever light fitting you like and the work would not be notifiable.

    By notifiable I mean you have to notifiy the local authority that you are going to do it (if you are not "part p registered") or after you have done it (if you are part p registered).

    Building Regulations 2000 Approved Document P
    Table 1: Work that need not be notified to building control bodies
    Work consisting of:
    Replacing any electrical fitting including socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses
    Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact (a)
    Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components (b)
    Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations (c)
    Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (d) and consists of:
    Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (e)
    Adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (e)
    Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding (f)
    Work not in a special location on:
    Telephone or extra-low voltage wiring and equipment for the purposes of communications, information technology, signalling, control
    and similar purposes
    (a) On condition that the replacement cable has the same current carrying capacity, follows the same route and does not serve
    more than one sub-circuit through a distribution board.
    (b) If the circuit’s protective measures are unaffected.
    (c) If the circuit’s protective measures and current-carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by increased thermal insulation.
    (d) Special locations and installations are listed in Table 2.
    (e) Only if the existing circuit protective device is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit, and other relevant safety
    provisions are satisfactory.
    (f) Such work shall comply with other applicable legislation, such as the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations.

    Leave a comment:

  • Ericthelobster
    Yes, you can go ahead and change them; the new "Part P" legislation is more to do with changing circuits etc. Clearly, if you managed to balls up the wiring by changing the fittings - which is perfectly possible to do - and ended up electrocuting a tenant, then you would be deservedly hung out to dry by the courts, but that doesn't mean you are not allowed to change them. It would make sense to have it checked by a qualified electrician afterwards (but of course that would cost as much as employing the electrician to do the actual work!).

    By the way, Richie, AFAIK there's no requirement for an individual to be 'competent' in the legal sense (whatever that means!) but from a common sense point of view then of course they should be. I think the 'competent person' wording is normally associated with gas work.

    Leave a comment:

  • RichieP
    AFAIK it needs to be carried out by "a competent person". If you consider yourself as such, and are confident that nobody is likely to get injured as a result, go ahead.

    Leave a comment:

  • scottsiemers
    started a topic Am I allowed to change light fixtures

    Am I allowed to change light fixtures

    I am a landlord of a property and I want to change some old light fixtures. I have heard about changes in legislation which may mean that such work carried out by non-qualified people is no longer allowable. Is this the case and if so do I need to hire a qualified electrician to do the work? Thanks.

Latest Activity


  • Reply to Washing Machine/Rent arrears
    by boletus
    You have to look at yourself in the mirror every morning?

    Or on a practical level;

    The stress finishes off the landlord. The grandson then takes over the estate and is not such a good man. He is very upset at the tenant's low behaviour after the old man
    08-04-2020, 07:27 AM
  • Washing Machine/Rent arrears
    by Washingmachine44
    Hi Everyone,

    I'm a former tenant of a property and I'm looking for some advice. I rented a property in London for 7 years with my GF and moved out in February of this year. I still owe 2 months rent arrears and this is being paid of in agreed installments through the estate agent. ...
    07-04-2020, 17:54 PM
  • Reply to Washing Machine/Rent arrears
    by boletus
    I have low quality machines still going strong more than 20 years old. I've also replaced one that was 2 years and 2 months old (I remember looking up the just out of date warranty- bearings had gone)

    It is reasonable to...
    08-04-2020, 06:59 AM
  • Reply to Properties for sale AND Let?
    by BTL investor
    Only reason I can think of is that whilst the property is untenanted the owner puts it up for rent but also puts it up for sale at a high price just in case a buyer willing to pay the high price comes along.
    07-04-2020, 23:31 PM
  • Properties for sale AND Let?
    by Questioningtenant
    HI! Apologies if this is a stupid question; I am rather ignorant in terms of a property being offered for sale and for let at the same time.

    I'm a tenant currently looking for a larger rental property and I've noticed a trend in my area in recent times to place a property both for sale...
    07-04-2020, 21:27 PM
  • Reply to Restrictions on rental agent
    by Mike_H
    Here in Aus, agents are allowed to do individual viewings, auctions are going ahead (albeit online) and you still see removal vans moving people in and out of places etc Sounds like we're a little less restricted than the UK at the moment.

    Hopefully we get over all this sooner rather than...
    07-04-2020, 23:28 PM
  • Restrictions on rental agent
    by Mike_H
    I'm currently living abroad so am not up on the restrictions currently in place in the UK.

    The tenant in my house (in the UK) is leaving at the end of the month. My rental agent has advertised the property and has had plenty of interest, but is telling me that there is nothing they can...
    07-04-2020, 21:28 PM
  • Reply to Restrictions on rental agent
    by Questioningtenant
    Some letting agents are offering 'virtual viewings' although in my area, these seem few and far between. I have also send a couple of properties switch to 'Let Agreed' in the past couple of days and many agents are processing everything digitally - I think it depends largely on the agent in terms of...
    07-04-2020, 22:17 PM
  • Reply to Restrictions on rental agent
    by jpkeates
    On a practical basis, I'd say they're right.

    It's possible to advertise a property, let it and for tenants to move in.
    But most of the people involved would be not following the government advice, possibly breaking the law and, generally, not being good citizens.

    07-04-2020, 22:15 PM
  • Reply to Washing Machine/Rent arrears
    by Section20z
    You are asking how quickly they depreciate and I think DPS work on 5 year lifespan , though clearly the fridge or a Miele machine would be expected to last much longer - so depending on the quality and condition you would be lucky to get £200 allowance for both, but worth asking for.
    what's the...
    07-04-2020, 20:17 PM