Am I allowed to change light fixtures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I allowed to change light fixtures

I am a landlord of a property and I want to change some old light fixtures. I have heard about changes in legislation which may mean that such work carried out by non-qualified people is no longer allowable. Is this the case and if so do I need to hire a qualified electrician to do the work? Thanks.

AFAIK it needs to be carried out by "a competent person". If you consider yourself as such, and are confident that nobody is likely to get injured as a result, go ahead.

Comment

Yes, you can go ahead and change them; the new "Part P" legislation is more to do with changing circuits etc. Clearly, if you managed to balls up the wiring by changing the fittings - which is perfectly possible to do - and ended up electrocuting a tenant, then you would be deservedly hung out to dry by the courts, but that doesn't mean you are not allowed to change them. It would make sense to have it checked by a qualified electrician afterwards (but of course that would cost as much as employing the electrician to do the actual work!).

By the way, Richie, AFAIK there's no requirement for an individual to be 'competent' in the legal sense (whatever that means!) but from a common sense point of view then of course they should be. I think the 'competent person' wording is normally associated with gas work.

Comment

You can change like for like in a kitchen or bathroom and the work would not be notifiable. i.e. if you have a ceiling rose you can put a new ceiling rose in but not a fancy light fitting.

Anywhere else you can change to whatever light fitting you like and the work would not be notifiable.

By notifiable I mean you have to notifiy the local authority that you are going to do it (if you are not "part p registered") or after you have done it (if you are part p registered).

Building Regulations 2000 Approved Document P
        Table 1: Work that need not be notified to building control bodies
        Work consisting of:
        Replacing any electrical fitting including socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses
        Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact (a)
        Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components (b)
        Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations (c)
        Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (d) and consists of:
        Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (e)
        Adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (e)
        Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding (f)
        Work not in a special location on:
        Telephone or extra-low voltage wiring and equipment for the purposes of communications, information technology, signalling, control
        and similar purposes
        Notes
        (a) On condition that the replacement cable has the same current carrying capacity, follows the same route and does not serve
        more than one sub-circuit through a distribution board.
        (b) If the circuit’s protective measures are unaffected.
        (c) If the circuit’s protective measures and current-carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by increased thermal insulation.
        (d) Special locations and installations are listed in Table 2.
        (e) Only if the existing circuit protective device is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit, and other relevant safety
        provisions are satisfactory.
        (f) Such work shall comply with other applicable legislation, such as the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Requested permission to get a cat
          by MdeB
          It is not the cat owners, but the cats that are the issue.
          A responsible owner cannot stop a cat causing damage, other than by getting rid of the cat.

No. It comes down to money.

A cat needs to get outside.
          How is that achieved?
          • Cut a hole for a cat flap?
          18-02-2020, 02:46 AM
        • Requested permission to get a cat
          by JessJ235
          Hi all,

Moved into this rental property last July.
          Tenancy states no pets without landlords written permission.

A couple of months after I contacted Landlord about getting a kitten, he responded saying he would get back to me and never did.

I'm a good tenant,...
          15-02-2020, 15:19 PM
        • Reply to Leaving a rented house?
          by AndrewDod
          We don't know that this is a weekly periodic tenancy. It might be -- but the fact that T happens to be paying weekly could simply be because that is what they happen to be doing. The contract might specify otherwise (and the fact that the initial contract was for 12 MONTHS suggests that was the case)....
          18-02-2020, 01:59 AM
        • Leaving a rented house?
          by ETJ
          I do intend on making contact of course but I want to hear it from someone else in case they try to pull a fast one.

We live in a rented house, we've been there many years.
          The rent is paid weekly via a standing order setup by myself.

The contract we signed (about 10...
          15-02-2020, 17:04 PM
        • Reply to Deposit protection claim
          by AndrewDod
          Not directly relevant to the question but more to Artful's rather worrying message:

According to Shelter https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...ing/subtenants

Subtenants's tenancy usually ends if immediate landlord's tenancy ends but there might be exceptions...
          18-02-2020, 01:41 AM
        • Deposit protection claim
          by CuriousPerson
          Hello, my situation is as follows: I have had an agency as a corporate tenant for several years, but this tenancy ended prematurely as they could no longer afford to pay the rent. The agency seems to be effectively bankrupt now; I have recently learned that they did not protect their tenants deposits....
          17-02-2020, 20:56 PM
        • Reply to Does rent increase create a new tanacy
          by MdeB
          If there had to be a written agreement for it to be a tenancy, then that would play into the hands of the criminals....
          18-02-2020, 01:38 AM
        • Does rent increase create a new tanacy
          by RedSkyAtNight
          I have a T on 6 month AST from 2014 with no subsequent written agreements issued, now on statutory periodic. If I increase rent would that create a new tenancy, an force me to comply with new legislation?

Thanks
          16-02-2020, 15:26 PM
        • Reply to Landlord Software ?
          by AndrewDod
          If you are happy to put in a small amount of effort to set up a database, the Android software "Memento" is great. Worth subscribing to get cloud support and the full versions of the software for Windows too....
          18-02-2020, 01:37 AM
        • Landlord Software ?
          by somerset-landlord
          Im looking at software options for a 4-bed house share and a 2-bed flat we let out.

Can anyone recommend any free (or low cost) software which keeps track of inventory, agreements, deposits, rent payments, expenses etc etc

Dont really want to put it all on excel.
          17-02-2020, 18:14 PM
        Working...
        X