Here is my story.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Here is my story.

    I have been privately renting since June 08. I have signed a contract bought from WHSmith. Recently, I have been given a verbal month's notice by my landlord. I am suppose to be out of the flat by the 9th of April. Within that month, I have been searching for a new accommodation and eventually found one from a Lettings Agency. The flat I found was still being occupied by the tenants who want to leave earlier than stated in their initial contract which I think is 6 months. Despite them still being there, I went for the flat and went through the usual process of referencing and the whole lot. The tenants have been informed that I have to move in by the 9th of April. Come that day, they are still there. Its now 16th of April and the tenants still haven't given us a date for when they are moving. I have already ask my landlord if I can stay for another week and asking for another week might be pushing it. I am now homeless (well, squatting at a friend's place)!

    I need advise ..... PLEASE!!!!

    #2
    Technical point on a rolling monthly contract:

    Landlords must give TWO clear months notice (not one - irrespective of what your contract says).
    Tenants must give ONE clear month notice.

    You shouldn't have worried about moving out of your rented home. The landlord couldn't get you out for another two weeks yet!

    Plus, Landlord must give PROPERLY WRITTEN served notice. Him ringing up and saying, "I want you out next month" isn't good enough. You could have stayed another TWO months still!

    Problem - This is probably what the other tenants know that you don't. They could take months to get out if they know the law.
    Look elsewhere, you'll find somewhere.

    Comment


      #3
      So I guess I can't do anything about the other tenants.
      Can the landlord or the agents do anything? The current tenants want to break the contract and have been contacting the agents daily, pushing them to find a new tenant. Now that they have found one, they're being selfish. I've paid all the required fees and withdrawing my interest might cost me.

      Comment


        #4
        foxyoriental,
        the fee that you paid, was it to get on the books of the agency or on the basis that you would get this particular flat? Did it get as far as signing a lease? Do you have anything in writing? Have they offered any other accommodation to you?

        Hugh

        Comment


          #5
          I've paid the whole 6 weeks deposit, 1 month advance including agent's fee/referencing.

          They have offered temporary accommodation but not in an ideal location. Should the lettings agency shoulder all the cost (i.e. temporary accommodation and moving costs)? Would they be partly to blame for advertising a flat which is still occupied with no exact date of the flat being vacated?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by foxyoriental View Post
            I've paid the whole 6 weeks deposit, 1 month advance including agent's fee/referencing.

            They have offered temporary accommodation but not in an ideal location. Should the lettings agency shoulder all the cost (i.e. temporary accommodation and moving costs)? Would they be partly to blame for advertising a flat which is still occupied with no exact date of the flat being vacated?
            Yes! Consider asking the agent for:
            The monies you've paid them

            If they don't 'play ball', sue them!

            Comment


              #7
              yes, until you've received correct legal advice, don't accept the alternative accommodation, as a) it might end up you being there for much longer than you would want and b) it might prejudice your chance of getting a refund if the original property doesn't materialise.
              Your best bet might be to say that you want a refund in full as the present situation is unsatisfactory. On the face of it you should be entitled to a full refund.
              Again, did you sign a lease for the first property and do you have a copy, and what other paperwork do you have?
              Can you continue to use your friend's place for the time being? Otherwise PM me - might be able to help.

              harry

              Comment


                #8
                I did not go for the temporary accommodation they have offered as it will pose more inconvenience in the long run. They will refund the full amount if I decide to withdraw from this property. I have not decided whether to pursue or withdraw as I am hoping to get a definite moving in date from them by the end of today. If they can't give me a date by the end of today then will start searching again. I'm hoping that agents can just pass on details and cut time on referencing.

                I can continue staying with a friend but that means unsettled mind and living on boxes.

                Comment


                  #9
                  You still haven't answered whether you have SIGNED for anything? If you HAVE, they are in breach of contract (or rather the landlord is) and as well as suing for all monies paid, you may be able to sue for alternative accomodation costs.
                  Last edited by thevaliant; 17-04-2009, 09:29 AM. Reason: to is not for

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I haven't signed any yet.

                    Comment

                    Latest Activity

                    Collapse

                    • Reply to Advice Needed
                      by Hudson01
                      I am very sorry to hear about the issue, i can add little more to what has already been said above, I am one of those lanldords spoken about in terms of about to sell up........ all that has been pointed out as to why we are all leaving is totally true, it has simply become too much hassle and with...
                      16-05-2022, 20:53 PM
                    • Advice Needed
                      by Confused2022
                      Hello!


                      I an trying to get as much information and advice for someone whom is very vulnerable and has many health problems.

                      The issue is they have lived at a property which they’ve rented now for 2 years just over, never missed a rental payment and never had any issues,...
                      15-05-2022, 15:45 PM
                    • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                      by Hudson01
                      I agree with one of the other posts, Company A should have sorted the whole job, it sounds like a 10 mins job with maybe a collar for the pipework being tightened up and then some basthroom sealant ...........you are right.......... just under a ' monkey'' (Arthur Daley speak) for what is a simple pipe...
                      16-05-2022, 18:46 PM
                    • Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                      by Laurasplog
                      We have a London flat managed by an agent (full management service).

                      My husband and I were abroad, and got a call from the council saying the property was leaking sewage into the flat below. We contacted our agent immediately who sent someone around the same day (Company A).

                      ...
                      16-05-2022, 12:58 PM
                    • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                      by theartfullodger
                      What does your agreement (or terms & conditions sent) with this say about such queries, please? I'd start there first & then probably their complaints process (if they have one)

                      Is this the lettings agent on the block (of flats) management agent please?

                      I humbly note...
                      16-05-2022, 16:15 PM
                    • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                      by Laurasplog
                      The pipework was found to be sound. I think Company A were there as an emergency "see if it's sewage and shut off the water if necessary". They said it was a pipework problem and a sealant problem. Company B carried out a full audit on the pipes and found it was only a sealant problem....
                      16-05-2022, 14:59 PM
                    • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                      by Laurasplog
                      The letting agent engaged all of them. We gave them an instruction to fix whatever the problem was after the notification from the council there was a problem - we pay for a full management service.

                      I doubt the agency will give us money back because they've paid it out directly to the contractor,...
                      16-05-2022, 14:58 PM
                    • Reply to Buying a tenanted residential property
                      by theartfullodger
                      In November 1979 BoE base rate hit 17% under Thatcher's government. My building society was kind by only raising their rates to 15%.....

                      IMHO rates will continue to rise. Sorry.

                      What you are proposing would breach your mortgage terms and possibly result in place being repo'd....
                      16-05-2022, 14:30 PM
                    Working...
                    X