Advice required for newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice required for newbie

Hello all - first post from a newbie who has got tenant problems!

I got married a few months ago and my wife an I bought a place together. I could not sell my place so I rented it out. I got a tenant but am now having problems!

Rent paid - quarterly (yes quarterly not monthly - long story).

Tenancy started - September 08

Rent paid for first quarter and then for next two months. I am now owed rent for March and also April. There has been a dispute over some compensation he says he is owed cos there was leak that damaged his bed - I said tough. I fixed the leak when he mentioned it and it was up to him to get his own insurance. I am certain he is trying to freeload on his rent.

Tenancy agreement has now rolled over to a periodic agreement cos I was too busy at the time to deal with the expired tenancy - now realise this was an error on my part.

This is what I plan to do but I'd be grateful if you wiser ones could tell me if I've done the right thing.

1. The tenant has been a bit of a pain and I want him out. So I am planning on serving him notice. This will have to be three months notice as it is a periodic tenancy with a quarterly rental payment.

2. In the meantime I will send him the relevant rent arrears letters but if I get nowhere I will serve a section 8 notice on him. That way I get a court to determine he owes me money and I may even be able to evict him sooner.

Does the above make sense - or have I got something wrong.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X