How Long am i Requred by Law to give Notice?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How Long am i Requred by Law to give Notice?

    My Name is Ruthy and i have a big problem and will appreciate it if someone could please offer an advice or help me out.
    We rented a house that we paid 1300 for 12 months with a 6 months break thing. Sorry i dont know alot about this housing terms. Am ignorant but i think the landlord is wrong here. Ok back to my Story, we have 6 months break clause, i understand to mean that we can leave after 6 months if we want without completing the 12 months term.

    The house had a lot of problems with heating and water licking in the bathroom, we got tired of ringing the landlord to come and fix things, and after fixing, same thing happens again. so we decided to grab out 6 months break thing and move.

    In the contract it says that we have to give 2 months Notice to the landlord before we can move, but we gave only one month notice, now the landlord want us to pay him another 1300 to compensate for not given the 2 months notice as stated in our contract. we have moved since 29th Febuary and he has refused to give his Id to the despoist protection to release our deposit. I think the law says we give only one month Notice not 2?

    We didnt have inventory in the house and now he has come up with this claim now that we left a dent in the kitchen worktop and that he will fix it for 450 pounds. he also got new tenants there now who moved in on the 15th of March. We have been model Tenants, has paid him his rents in time and all 1300 by direct debit. i dont like that he is keeping the deposit protect to release or money. Maybe i got it all wrong, i dont know. can someone please help me? what does the law says about giving notices and how long?
    Thanks alot

    If the break clause states two months notice then that's what's required.

    The inventory is another matter entirely and if you were not presented with one at the outset then the L will not be able to prove an awful lot if any dispute goes to adjudication.

    You can still aprroach the deposit protection scheme even if the landlord refused to co-operate and explain your circumstances, but you will not get it back until the tenancy has ended.
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


      The "water licking in the bathroom" must have been very inconvenient.

      Did the slurpy noise keep you up at night?


      Latest Activity