Help Please relating to Eviction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help Please relating to Eviction

    Hi guys

    I hope somebody will be able to help me. I left the UK last June for Perth, Western Australia and rented out my house. I wanted a months's deposit and rent in advance and upon leaving the UK i was given a sob story by my tenant and listened to the promises that she would get it to me "in a week". Stupid I know. To cut a very long story short my tenant has not paid rent since October of last year and has never paid the deposit etc etc. I commenced an eviction process in February of this year by serving a Section 8 Notice. A court Date was set in Mid-March and takes places at the end of April. My tenant has just contacted me and has said that "she wants my bank account details so she can pay some money but it will not be the full amount". I called my solicitor who says that I have to pass these details onto her which I have done. Further the solicitor says that the court will only entertain a possession order if more than two months arrears exist and given the current economic climate if is difficult to say whether such an issue will be granted despite the financial hardship it is causing me and my family which "may" be considered. If I am not successful in getting my possession order I will need to issue a Section 21 Notice - am I still able to issue such a notice if the court would not issue a possession order? despite not having received a deposit could I still issue such a notice? Sorry to be so long winded about this but I am at my wits end with the worry of it all and feel that if the Court does not see sense there is a strong possibility that I will not be able to afford rent in Oz and my mortgage in the UK. Any help / advice would be very much appreciated

  • #2
    Originally posted by StephMarty View Post
    Hi guys

    I hope somebody will be able to help me. I left the UK last June for Perth, Western Australia and rented out my house. I wanted a months's deposit and rent in advance and upon leaving the UK i was given a sob story by my tenant and listened to the promises that she would get it to me "in a week". Stupid I know. To cut a very long story short my tenant has not paid rent since October of last year and has never paid the deposit etc etc. I commenced an eviction process in February of this year by serving a Section 8 Notice. A court Date was set in Mid-March and takes places at the end of April. My tenant has just contacted me and has said that "she wants my bank account details so she can pay some money but it will not be the full amount". I called my solicitor who says that I have to pass these details onto her which I have done. Further the solicitor says that the court will only entertain a possession order if more than two months arrears exist and given the current economic climate if is difficult to say whether such an issue will be granted despite the financial hardship it is causing me and my family which "may" be considered. If I am not successful in getting my possession order I will need to issue a Section 21 Notice - am I still able to issue such a notice if the court would not issue a possession order? despite not having received a deposit could I still issue such a notice? Sorry to be so long winded about this but I am at my wits end with the worry of it all and feel that if the Court does not see sense there is a strong possibility that I will not be able to afford rent in Oz and my mortgage in the UK. Any help / advice would be very much appreciated

    If your solicitor has told you this, I do not know why. As you have reproduced it above, the advice is incorrect. It should have been thus::

    If the rent owed at the time of the hearing is two months or more, then the possession order will be mandatory, assuming all notices served correctly, paperwork in order, etc. Your solicitor should ensure that is the case. Sob stories on either side should not come into it.

    If the tenant brings the rent owed down to below two months' worth by the time of the hearing, then the possession order will be discretionary but if other grounds e.g. 10/11 are added, you may be granted it all the same. Or you may not.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

    Comment


    • #3
      Regardless of what your lawyer says, or if all or most of the rent is paid, still go to court (or be represented).

      Instruct your lawyer, if the mandatory ground is no longer available because sufficient rent has been paid to bring it under two months unpaid, to seek a suspended possession order.

      There can be conditions to this, such as the tenant continues to pay the rent on time plus £x off the arrears.

      Housing law can be quite complicated and it sounds like this area may not be a specialism for your lawyer. Did you check what areas of law he dealt with before instructing him?
      On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you so very much. Other grounds have been added as she is in breach of the Tenancy Agreement on several other counts.............I used a UK Agency to servce all the paperwork so I (hope) can be pretty sure it is all good (???). That said, it is clear that I need to cut my losses and just get the house back............... thanks again

        Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        If your solicitor has told you this, I do not know why. As you have reproduced it above, the advice is incorrect. It should have been thus::

        If the rent owed at the time of the hearing is two months or more, then the possession order will be mandatory, assuming all notices served correctly, paperwork in order, etc. Your solicitor should ensure that is the case. Sob stories on either side should not come into it.

        If the tenant brings the rent owed down to below two months' worth by the time of the hearing, then the possession order will be discretionary but if other grounds e.g. 10/11 are added, you may be granted it all the same. Or you may not.

        Comment


        • #5
          As with the other response I received, thank you so very much. I knew nothing of a suspended possession order and it is certainly something I will be discussing with my solicitor............................ I used a UK Agency to issue all the paperwork and instruct a solicitor on my behalf - it is all kind of mind-boggling when you are so far away. I guess I just need to get the house back and sell it as finding a suitable tenant can be blinking difficult. Thanks buckets again


          Originally posted by Esio Trot View Post
          Regardless of what your lawyer says, or if all or most of the rent is paid, still go to court (or be represented).

          Instruct your lawyer, if the mandatory ground is no longer available because sufficient rent has been paid to bring it under two months unpaid, to seek a suspended possession order.

          There can be conditions to this, such as the tenant continues to pay the rent on time plus £x off the arrears.

          Housing law can be quite complicated and it sounds like this area may not be a specialism for your lawyer. Did you check what areas of law he dealt with before instructing him?

          Comment


          • #6
            Though you said you didnt take/collect a deposit. Does the contract state there is one?

            Comment


            • #7
              Ho Johnboy, thanks for your interest. Yes the TA does state the fact that a month's deposit and month's rent in advance was required. I guess I have to shoulder some of the blame for this but I am a sucker for a sob story and believed it when my tenant said it would be paid by a certain date hey ho............... you live and learn by making very costly mistakes! Does this cause me a problem??????


              Originally posted by johnboy View Post
              Though you said you didnt take/collect a deposit. Does the contract state there is one?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by StephMarty View Post
                Hi guys

                To cut a very long story short my tenant has not paid rent since October of last year and has never paid the deposit etc etc.................

                I commenced an eviction process in February of this year by serving a Section 8 Notice. A court Date was set in Mid-March and takes places at the end of April.....................

                My tenant has just contacted me and has said that "she wants my bank account details so she can pay some money but it will not be the full amount". If I am not successful in getting my possession order I will need to issue a Section 21 Notice - am I still able to issue such a notice if the court would not issue a possession order?
                Although you say she has not paid a deposit, it may be that the contract says she has, if so, the court would expect that deposit to be in a protection scheme. If it is not, you could end up paying a penalty of 3x the amount. Further, if that is what the court believes, you would not be able to use a S21 until it is.
                It might be best if, to be on the safe side, you put the equivalent of the deposit into a scheme.
                It does sound like you have a professional tenant here, so be careful.
                I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jta View Post
                  Although you say she has not paid a deposit, it may be that the contract says she has, if so, the court would expect that deposit to be in a protection scheme. If it is not, you could end up paying a penalty of 3x the amount. Further, if that is what the court believes, you would not be able to use a S21 until it is.
                  It might be best if, to be on the safe side, you put the equivalent of the deposit into a scheme.
                  It does sound like you have a professional tenant here, so be careful.
                  Surely the tenant would have to produce a receipt for any deposit she claims she has paid - the court would not just take her word for it against a LL's ?
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                    Surely the tenant would have to produce a receipt for any deposit she claims she has paid - the court would not just take her word for it against a LL's ?
                    Ok! So you get this young lady into court and she tearfully tells the judge that she did pay a deposit, but she's lost the receipt or any other paperwork, and it was in cash, so that nasty LL must have just stuck it in his pocket! Who is the judge going to believe? At best it would be 50/50. The OP is in Australia, is he going to be here to rebut anything like that? I'll say it again, he's got to be careful. No matter how good a lawyer he might have, the lawyer is not a witness.
                    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Of course, any civil case (except defamation) is judged by the Court on balance of probabilities. Evidence is but one element in this exercise.
                      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                        Of course, any civil case (except defamation) is judged by the Court on the balance of probabilities. Evidence is but one element in this exercise.
                        So Jeffrey, in non-legalese, is my scenario a possibility?
                        I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jta View Post
                          So Jeffrey, in non-legalese, is my scenario a possibility?
                          Yes, but I do not know how probable it is. Evidence is always a good idea...
                          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Wow - what a minefield. I do appreciate all your comments about the deposit. We knew, once received, we would have to put it in a Deposit Scheme and this was stated on the TA. But of course, was never forthcoming. I sent e-mails to the Tenant about this subject when the funds were not forthcoming with no response - so I am guessing I will need to make my solicitor aware of this. I do not yet know whether she is going to the Court Hearing but in the event she does, I may travel home just in case she tries to give an Oscar Winning performance at my expense..thanks again guys

                            Comment

                            Latest Activity

                            Collapse

                            • Tenant threatens legal action
                              Golip
                              Hi all

                              A former tenant of mine whom moved out without giving 4 weeks notice as per his contract is threatening legal action over a deposit which I did not protect in time and was returned to him in full once the admin error was realised (my farther usually deals with the paperwork)
                              ...
                              16-08-2017, 16:16 PM
                            • Reply to Tenant threatens legal action
                              HantsAgent
                              Without wishing to sound rude, you don't sound at all competent to head this off without help.

                              I'd recommend you instruct a good solicitor specialising in property to deal with this on your behalf.
                              22-08-2017, 05:09 AM
                            • evicting a tenant
                              ferrari-airwolf
                              Hello there, I have been renting my property for the last 2 and a half years and have been doing so with a 6 month AST contract. At the end of the current contract (which I renewed last weekend) I wish to take the property back, I stated this to my tenant before the tenant signed the current contract...
                              20-08-2017, 14:49 PM
                            • Reply to evicting a tenant
                              mariner
                              Get a new GSC arranged. A valid GSC is a requirement during any Tenancy..
                              T does not have to vacate on expiry of Repo Notice, she could remain your T until legally evicted by Court Bailiffs after a further several weeks/months.
                              For ~£50 (tax deductible), is it worth the risk?
                              22-08-2017, 01:50 AM
                            • Joint tenancy deposit responsibility
                              JT1980Lon
                              Hi Guys,

                              I was wondering if you could advise me on where I stand. I have a property which I have rented out for the last four years to a group and each time one person leaves then the original guys source a new person and just give the incoming deposit back to the outgoing person and I...
                              20-08-2017, 11:41 AM
                            • Reply to Joint tenancy deposit responsibility
                              mariner
                              Sloppy LL'ing.

                              When did original Tenancy commence with original Ts?
                              Who, if anyone, still remains?
                              Did you nominate a T to do your job ie return ind deposits, check new Ts for Right to Rent, conduct nec checks on new T?
                              Give permission for him to sub-let?
                              How do...
                              22-08-2017, 01:10 AM
                            • Reply to Joint tenancy deposit responsibility
                              JK0
                              Sounds like the guy who contacted you was your tenant's lodger, doesn't it? Therefore it's up to tenant whether to return deposit or not. (Sounds like room was left in a bad state.)
                              21-08-2017, 23:43 PM
                            • Reply to evicting a tenant
                              ferrari-airwolf
                              Thanks for the confirmation, so would this be ok to send to the tenant?
                              https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...n_property.pdf

                              I am thinking of using this template as it seems to be the best one available. I will send that and a letter stating that I will let them end there tenancy...
                              21-08-2017, 22:41 PM
                            • Reply to Tenant threatens legal action
                              Wright76
                              I suppose on a positive the fact you returned it BEFORE the tenancy ended is in your favour.

                              No win no fee solicitors like straight forward cases.

                              One of the first questions they ask are if there are any rent arrears or claims to damages. You may well ward them off with a ...
                              21-08-2017, 22:27 PM
                            • Reply to Joint tenancy deposit responsibility
                              AndrewDod
                              The short summary is that the situation you have created is the proverbial dog's breakfast.

                              Who is your tenant? The fact that you cannot answer that question means that you are lining yourself up for massive problems.

                              You have two basic types of tenancies - where you have every...
                              21-08-2017, 22:22 PM
                            Working...
                            X