tenant called eviromental health to get a council house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tenant called eviromental health to get a council house

my tenant has informed me that he has called the enviromental health officer. he said that he has applied for a council house and during the interview he mentioned that sink pipe has been dripping for the last six months and has caused some mould, and on mentioning this he was advised to report it.

after asking the tenant why he did not report it to me so that it could be fixed again (as it was fixed last year). he said that i knew about but was not doing anything to repair it.

I believe that he is making a mountain out of a molehill to get higher up on the council house list.
    Also I know that the enviromental officer who is visiting hates landlords and looks for everything and anything that can be repaired.

what can I do about my tenant and what can the EHO ask me to do?

the house was in good condition when rented out.

Thanks for all your helps

Originally posted by velvet View Post
    Why don't you just get the sink pipe mended properly?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      Why don't you just get the sink pipe mended properly?
      Yep, I agree this would be your best defence.

I believe that he is making a mountain out of a molehill to get higher up on the council house list.
      Well, if that is what he is trying to achieve he's not very clever because it won't work. Any disrepair would need to be rather more serious than a leak under the sink before there was any chance of it affecting a housing application.

Also I know that the enviromental officer who is visiting hates landlords and looks for everything and anything that can be repaired.

I wouldn't worry too much about the EHO. They can of course ask you to carry out any repairs that are your responsibility, but if the property is in good condition there shouldn't be too many of these.

As for what you can do about the tenant, it might be worth making sure that you keep proper records of all repair requests and your response.

Preston

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Joint tenancy - end fixed term
        Nottinverno
        Hello,

need some advice, please, I'm getting mad at this.

I have a joint tenancy, renting a flat through an agency with other 2 people, ending end January.
        I have decided to move out and I gave my notice (to both the agency and my flatmates) last end November, however...
        09-01-2018, 14:29 PM
      • Reply to Joint tenancy - end fixed term
        KTC
        Ask the solicitor for their interpretation of section 5(5)(b) of the Housing Act 1988 regarding giving a notice to quit on the first day of the statutory periodic tenancy.
        19-01-2018, 22:54 PM
        Nottinverno
        Oh nono, I have to leave at the end of Feb. I have already moved forward my move and luckily the new landlord is flexible, but I can't stay other 2 months in my current place.
        It really seems that as soon as the periodic roll starts I can serve 1 month notice, so by end Feb I should be able to...
        19-01-2018, 22:48 PM
      • Payment Break
        OlliesDad
        I have a great long-term tenant who, along with her husband and daughter has been with me for nearly 5 years. Unfortunately the husband has done the dirty and left leaving her with nothing but debts. Her finances are in a mess and she has said she may need to move in with family whilst she sorts herself...
        18-01-2018, 21:27 PM
      • Reply to Payment Break
        royw
        You have a good tenant and if it were me I'd be looking for ways to keep her rather than evict her. Might be worth having a chat and find out how much she can afford now and in the long-term. If she can afford it on her own once the debts are cleared possibly offer her a reduced rent for a year equivalent...
        19-01-2018, 22:26 PM
      • Tenants not vacated at check-out
        tatemono
        Had a lovely young couple with a baby in our property for about 8 months, they gave notice to leave as he'd moved out after they split up and she couldn't afford rent. Sad situation for them. Property has been on market since.

Anyway, yesterday our very competent and well-trusted long-standing...
        09-01-2018, 08:58 AM
      • Reply to Tenants not vacated at check-out
        KTC
        If it were a notice to quit given during a periodic tenancy, as opposed to an agreement with the landlord during the fixed term, then tenancy has ended. Validity of a notice to quit does not depend on whether the tenant follow up and acting in accordance to it. A notice to quit is not a notice of intention....
        19-01-2018, 22:20 PM
      • Reply to Tenants not vacated at check-out
        buzzard1994
        But the notice wasn't valid because the tenant did not give up possession. The notice is an intention to end the tenancy but the tenant remains in possession so they did not end the tenancy. If it was the end of a fixed term that would be different....
        19-01-2018, 22:06 PM
        KTC
        Just serve your own notice and leave them to it. Wish them good luck if either one tries to sue you for rent etc.

Having said that, I'm not totally sure about my previous advice that you can give notice on the first day of the periodic tenancy, so if you want to be safe, give notice after...
        19-01-2018, 21:53 PM
      • Tenant paying rent erratically after section 21 notice. Best course of action?
        Flipjango
        We had tenants move in on a 12 month AST with a 6 month break clause on 10th August 2017. Less than two months into their tenancy the tenants (a couple) split up and one tenant moved out. Tenant 1 (the one who moved out) continued to pay his share of the rent, (if rather erratically and late, and with...
        18-01-2018, 20:42 PM
      Working...
      X