Eviction advice - dog handler required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eviction advice - dog handler required

Am in the final stage of eviction with the Bailiff due next Wednesday. He has told us that we need to have on hand a dog handler as the tennant has three large dogs and are quite threatening. Where do I get a dog handler from? We have advised Police but they offered no advice re dogs but will be present when they call.

Do evictions ever fail?

When do the council make available accomodation for the evicted person?
    Last edited by nichomar; 14-02-2006, 09:33 AM. Reason: Now Urgent

Council will not help, what next, looks like tenant has won!

Comment

From your first post you say that the eviction will happen on Wednesday with both the bailiff and the police present. What more do you expect?

Stop worrying. It ain't 'appened yet!

Comment

Bailiff says he will not enter if there is any danger from the dogs so Im not sure what will happen.

Comment

By my understanding the Bailiff can call upon the police to assist him to effect the eviction - if the police then decide they need a dog handler then your problem is solved. If the eviction is done without a dog handler, then also your problem is solved.

Have you not got any friends who are used to handling dogs that can turn up with a rope and pole affair like the RSPCA/Dog Wardens use (as seen on TV)?

I have got to say though that the Bailiff is right - why should he go into a dangerous situation where there are dogs who might give him an injury that puts him off work for months. Most evictions are relatively peaceful because the tenant knows they are likely to be arrested for breach of peace and that ultimately the eviction will take place sooner or later however they oppose it. Look at when they do a Gypsy site - they send in about 50 bailiffs, god knows how many police with heavy duty door knockers etc.

Tell the police that the tenant intends to oppose the eviction by using the dogs as a threat - ask them to come armed accordingly. The sight of an armed police officer rteady to shoot the animals may make the owner see sense though I would not want that to happen to the innocent animals - but realistically, if these dogs are that dangerous - let the police take the responsibility!

Comment

thanks for the reassuring words, police called us and said they would now only attend if we rang 999 at the point there was trouble, so it looks like it could be an interesting day tomorrow. Maybe she will still leave by 10:30 but do peoploe really take it so close to the deadline?

Comment

Your tenant could be one of the hard core who never believe it wil happen - so yes - it could be an interesting day.

Take with you:-

1. Change of clothing (you never know what might get tipped over you)
              2. Spare locks and tools for fitting and a means of securing all windows.
              3. A jemmy in case entry has to be forced.
              4. A couple of hefty looking blokes preferably dressed in army-like or security clothing (how they look is half the job done)
              5. A mobile phone to call the police if need be
              6. A Flask of coffee/tea and a collapsible chair so you can make yourself comfortable while the tenant moves stuff out.

and park your car at least two streets away - you are not really going to ask me why are you?

Do not help to move any furniture or anything out - you will ultimately get blames for damaged/missing items. If the tenant cannot/will not move stuff out there and then, just lock it inside the house and make arrangements for access at another date convenient to yourself. There is a danger moving it all onto the street viz a viz obstruction etc.

If the tenant threatens you in any way - report it - a nice idea is to have a tape recorder secretly running throughout - evidential record.

Best of luck - hope it goes well - do come and post back results!

Comment

Originally posted by davidjohnbutton
                1. Change of clothing (you never know what might get tipped over you)
                2. Spare locks and tools for fitting and a means of securing all windows.
                3. A jemmy in case entry has to be forced.
                4. A couple of hefty looking blokes preferably dressed in army-like or security clothing (how they look is half the job done)
                5. A mobile phone to call the police if need be
                6. A Flask of coffee/tea and a collapsible chair so you can make yourself comfortable while the tenant moves stuff out.

and park your car at least two streets away - you are not really going to ask me why are you?
                God Almighty - someone remind me why I choose to be a landlord?!!

Comment

Eric - The money - and the pleasure you get when nice tenant (95%) thanks you and says how much they have enjoyed living in your property!

Comment

Nichomar - how did it go?

Trouble with this site is we often hear of problems/fears but rarely hear the results!

Comment

He's probably being pinned to the front garden by his ex-tenant's angry b;tch at this very moment.

Comment

A slight digression regarding Alsations - when we had a smaller house, the dog slept indoors - immediately outside the back door was a shared driveway. I called the locum emergency service doctor out to my wife who had bad stomach pains. The doctor was driven by an official driver who for some reason best known to himself backed the car right down the shared drive so the doctor, instead of knocking, walked straight in through the back door - guess who was waiting the other side - mouth watering?

I heard the door go from upstairs and two loud barks followed by "Help" in a scared shitless voice. The Doctor was pinned up against the wall with the alsations paws on each shoulder and his head less than two inches away from bared, saliva dripping teeth!

He came off (the dog I mean) instantly when ordered and the doctor - an indian/asian gentleman was gently reminded of the customs in England of knocking and waiting for the householder to answer the door! A stiff brandy or two later he was ok - no - not the dog - the doctor!!!!

(I notice that the posting filter allows the word shitless!!!!!!!)

Comment

I was too busy cleaning to come on yesterday!

She departed 45 minutes before bailiff was due having waited around to collect last bits of mail apparently. Went inside and almost threw up, would have been good for "Life of Grime" the house had been used as a large kennel and stank. I could go on but no point. How people can live in such squalor is beyond me. We need new carpets throughout and complete redecoration.

Whilst I'm glad she went I still wonder what would have happened if she had not! Thanks for the advice and interest.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X