Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord not responding to calls / letters

Hi,

We've recently signed an assured shorthold tenancy agreement for 6 months and moved in a couple of weeks ago.
    We've had problems since day one with the property. We agreed that the property would be cleaned before moving in and the gardens which are extremely overgrown/ litter etc be cut back and tidied. The day we moved things like the fridge, oven, cupboards had previous tenants property in and required a thorough cleaning. The gardens havent been touched even though we've had weeks of dry weather with only the odd shower. We've discovered the shower upstairs drips water into the room below and the front door has a gaping hole in the bottom letting out the heat and creating drafts through the house.
    These problems arent huge and shouldnt take much to fix but we've called the landlord on both contact numbers, leaving messages on answer machines several times and written a recorded post letter and so far not had any response, its obvious he is ignoring us as we know hes been in touch with the letting agents to talk about what he legally has to do.

So we're coming up to our second months rent and wondering if we should withhold the rent until he at least has the decency to contact us. Obviously we're worried that if this is how hes tackling simple fix problems, what happens later if the boiler stops working or something else...
    We are prepared to leave and move somewhere else if these things arent sorted.

So the question i have is, what options do we have? Is it reasonable to think he should be returning or answering calls within 2 weeks for repairs? What would happen if we decided to send him a letter saying as we've had no response we're leaving.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would stop the rent and put it into a seperate acount. LL will be quick to contact you then!

In the meantime get 3 quotes for all work needed. Send them to LL stating you will get the lowest quote done if he does not sort it. Affter 14 days get the work done, deduct it form your rent and send the Invoice to him along with the rest of the rent.
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts.
      I'll put the rent in a savings account until he responds for sure, not sure about getting the quotes, sounds like a lot of work on our behalf when hes the landlord and we're paying him for a service to do this kind of thing.
      Right now i couldnt care less if he doesnt respond, im wondering if we have right to leave if he doesnt take care of things. At what stage is he breaching the contract by not responding/sorting things out?

Comment

Originally posted by geordie View Post
        Thanks for your thoughts.
        I'll put the rent in a savings account until he responds for sure, not sure about getting the quotes, sounds like a lot of work on our behalf when hes the landlord and we're paying him for a service to do this kind of thing.
        Right now i couldnt care less if he doesnt respond, im wondering if we have right to leave if he doesnt take care of things. At what stage is he breaching the contract by not responding/sorting things out?
        No, your LL would have to be in much more serious breach than this before you could legitimately move out and break the contract. It's normally when the property is uninhabitable or there is serious risk to life and limb.

Do as advised above and continue to get the problems sorted, witholding rent as necessary but keeping all invoices etc., and advising LL of each job before you have it done.

It is unfortunate that your LL is a lazy, uncommunicative so-and-so, but sadly it doesn't mean you can 'call it a day'.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• NTQ during fixed term?
          vpltd
          Hi,
          Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
          (A residential let in England.)
          VPL.
          11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
        • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
          jpkeates
          Notice to quit is pretty well defined, "surrender" is not, so while that list looks complete, it is in fact not.

For a tenant to surrender a tenancy, there should be an offer of surrender and the landlord has to accept that offer.

If s21 notice is served and a tenant...
          21-08-2017, 09:50 AM
        • End of student tenancy
          mkgirl
          Hi

my Daughter shared a house last year with 4 strangers as she didn't get in to halls. It's been a bit of a nightmare as the 2 lads were very disrespectful with regards to cleanliness, having people over and paying towards bills. She came home a lot and i may came home for the summer as...
          20-08-2017, 17:29 PM
        • Reply to End of student tenancy
          jpkeates
          There's only (legally) one tenant in a joint tenancy ("who" is made up of the five occupants all of whom are liable for all of the obligations of the tenant), so yes, the badly maintaining students will be subsidised by the better behaved students.

The "Lead Tenant"...
          21-08-2017, 09:17 AM
        • Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
          james99
          Hi,

I rent out a modern / purpose built ground floor flat which I've owned for c15 years and lived in it myself up until the last few years when I have rented it out. Never had any issues with damp when I was living there or with past tenants, however, the current tenants have reported...
          16-08-2017, 16:53 PM
        • Reply to Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
          leaseholder64
          Most head leases for flats forbid drying within the grounds but outside the flat, so requiring drying outside the property means an extended dry in the laundrette, so you if you want to impose such a rule, you should probably ban washing machines as well.

(Where I live, a common breach...
          21-08-2017, 09:16 AM
        • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
          jjlandlord
          The Act clearly states what a s.21 notice does, which is nothing apart from allowing the landlord to go to court.

I have just done so.

If a s.21 does nothing then the tenant may only end the tenancy by surrender or notice to quit. Both of which are very well documented...
          21-08-2017, 09:08 AM
        • Reply to End of student tenancy
          mkgirl
          Sadly all on one joint tenancy. We've learnt the hard way never to do this again! To be fair the lead tenant process was never explained, they just said someone had to be lead tenant!...
          21-08-2017, 09:05 AM
        • Can Mrs T change locks?
          Berlingogirl
          Mr and Mrs T are splitting up. Mrs T is looking for a new place before giving notice to LL. Mrs T is going to give notice to LL then move immediately to new place. Mr T has mental health issues and verbally intimidates and bullies Mrs T so she needs to get out before he can start on her.

19-08-2017, 07:32 AM
        • Reply to Can Mrs T change locks?
          jjlandlord
          She won't end up paying more rent than she is now and it is up to her to end the tenancy....
          21-08-2017, 08:58 AM
        Working...
        X