Joint tenancy notice rights

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Joint tenancy notice rights

    I currently live in a shared property with three others. We signed a year long contract which is up in June 09 and we pay over £25,000 per year, which I understand means that we are under a Common Law tenanacy agreement.

    Myself and one other girl decided that we wished to move out at the end of April and as such gave the agents 2 months notice of our intention to do so. The other girls decided that they wished to stay in the house and wrote to the agents at the same time indicating that they would find two replacement tenants.

    However, I want to know what will happen if either of these housemates falls through as we are "jointly and severally liable" for the rent as stipulated in the contract?

    I was comforted in the knowledge that should a replacement housemate not be found, I would only be liable for the rental payments until the end of June, as the tenancy would terminate at this point.

    However, I am led to understand by the estate agents that I cannot give notice on the property as we have to serve notice as a whole. This means that if the new tenants do not move in, our contract will just roll on a two month notice period. Therefore, I could effectively be legally bound to the contract forever more, as they are basically telling me that a single tenant could decide they wanted to stay in the property for several more months and we would all still be liable for the rent as our names are on the contract!

    Can anyone advise me of my rights in this situation, as this seems absurd!


  • #2
    There is one letting to four people. There are no continuation rights. When the fixed term ends, the tenancy ends- no Notice required.
    What happens after that point depends on:
    a. L (and L's Letting Agent); and
    b. such of the four people as want to remain resident.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).


    Latest Activity


    • Mice in the flat - what to do?
      We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

      Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
      26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
    • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
      I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
      Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
      24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
    • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
      Are you effectively saying it is standard for a freeholder to have access to build?
      I have looked at the lease, can anyone advise on someone that make the lease clear to me?...
      26-07-2017, 06:01 AM
    • Tenant application form
      Hi all!

      So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

      Thanks in advance,

      25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
    • Reply to Tenant application form
      You really need two forms.
      a) A simple one for first-pass selection containing your basic questions. The point of this one is to help you decide if you are going to waste any time at all (and the tenant's time), even on a viewing.
      b) A much more complicated one (have you ever failed to leave...
      25-07-2017, 23:54 PM
    • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
      I would expect any competent solicitor to have drafted the lease to give as many rights of access for building and repair as the freeholder was likely to want. You'd need to look at the lease to know.
      25-07-2017, 22:57 PM
    • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
      Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

      Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

      Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

      Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
      24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
    • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
      If by that you meant that an application have been made for voluntary striking off the company from the register, then you need to contact Companies House to object to it on the grounds that 1) it has traded or otherwise carried on business within the last 3 months 2) that you are a creditor and that...
      25-07-2017, 22:55 PM
    • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
      Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
      25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
    • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
      Would the same ring true if a tree had crushed the roof? Or some non-act of God event? Surely there is a limit to where the tenants responsibility ends and the landlord's begins?...
      25-07-2017, 22:07 PM