Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Rent Stop Demands

Hello,

We manage a property which is let to the local council. We received a letter from the council last week saying certain work had to be carried out within 7 days or they would put a rent stop on, unless we used their contractors!!! (sounds like blackmail to me). The tenant had complained of condensation problems in the property and the council is demanding we have the loft insulated, all piping lagged, vents put in each room and move any obstacles in the house that are in the maintenance workers way - all for £800.

Firstly can anyone tell me if they are within their rights to do this. From our experience condensation can only really be reduced by ventilating the property as much as possible. I would have thought by insulating the property it will only make matters worse. The issue only really occured after the tenant complained the old sash windows were too drafty and made the house cold, so the landlord agreed to replace the windows with UPVC double glazing throughout. Now the property doesn't get the same ventialtion causing the condensation. And should airbricks be put in the tenant will only cover them over when they realise they allow cold air in which completely defeats the object.

I know landlords have oblifations to maintain certain aspects of the property but does condensation come under that category?

Can anyone offer any assistance in this matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Podrico View Post
      Hello,

We manage a property which is let to the local council. We received a letter from the council last week saying certain work had to be carried out within 7 days or they would put a rent stop on, unless we used their contractors!!! (sounds like blackmail to me). The tenant had complained of condensation problems in the property and the council is demanding we have the loft insulated, all piping lagged, vents put in each room and move any obstacles in the house that are in the maintenance workers way - all for £800.

Firstly can anyone tell me if they are within their rights to do this. From our experience condensation can only really be reduced by ventilating the property as much as possible. I would have thought by insulating the property it will only make matters worse. The issue only really occured after the tenant complained the old sash windows were too drafty and made the house cold, so the landlord agreed to replace the windows with UPVC double glazing throughout. Now the property doesn't get the same ventialtion causing the condensation. And should airbricks be put in the tenant will only cover them over when they realise they allow cold air in which completely defeats the object.

I know landlords have oblifations to maintain certain aspects of the property but does condensation come under that category?
      Presumably the new vents will help ventilate the property and eliminate some of the condensation?

The proposed measures seem sensible from an energy-efficiency point of view, but I do not see why you should have to employ the council's contractors.

Was this the first you had heard of the works needing doing - or have you had a visit from the EHO?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

99% of condensation problems in rental properties is down to the tenant. If i was you i would get a independant report done by 2 other companies.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mice in the flat - what to do?
          JP23
          We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
          26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
        • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
          Jcg76
          I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
          Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
          24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
        • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
          Jcg76
          Are you effectively saying it is standard for a freeholder to have access to build?
          I have looked at the lease, can anyone advise on someone that make the lease clear to me?...
          26-07-2017, 06:01 AM
        • Tenant application form
          Elum
          Hi all!

So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

Thanks in advance,

Liam.
          25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
        • Reply to Tenant application form
          AndrewDod
          You really need two forms.
          a) A simple one for first-pass selection containing your basic questions. The point of this one is to help you decide if you are going to waste any time at all (and the tenant's time), even on a viewing.
          b) A much more complicated one (have you ever failed to leave...
          25-07-2017, 23:54 PM
        • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
          leaseholder64
          I would expect any competent solicitor to have drafted the lease to give as many rights of access for building and repair as the freeholder was likely to want. You'd need to look at the lease to know.
          25-07-2017, 22:57 PM
        • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
          Stybdmy
          Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
          24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
        • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
          KTC
          If by that you meant that an application have been made for voluntary striking off the company from the register, then you need to contact Companies House to object to it on the grounds that 1) it has traded or otherwise carried on business within the last 3 months 2) that you are a creditor and that...
          25-07-2017, 22:55 PM
        • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
          Pb21
          Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
          25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
        • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
          bergerac
          Would the same ring true if a tree had crushed the roof? Or some non-act of God event? Surely there is a limit to where the tenants responsibility ends and the landlord's begins?...
          25-07-2017, 22:07 PM
        Working...
        X