Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking Pipes/Tenant Expenses

Hi

My top floor flat has been leaking in to the flat below and despite attempts to find the leak (floor boards up) my plumber is still unable to locate it. It doesn't affect my tenants but yy insurance company sent a plumber to investigate and although he still couldn't find anything turned off the water to my flat as they also insure the flat below. My tenants are now holed up in a hotel and demading that I pay for their room and living costs. My lease clause reads:

"That the Landlord will not be responsible for any loss or inconvenience suffered as a result of a failure of supply or service to the Property, supplied by a third party, where such failure is not caused by an act or omission on the part of the Landlord."

But does Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 make this invalid because it states:

(a) to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling-house (including drains, gutters and external pipes);

(b) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity); and

(c) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for space heating and heating water

Thanks

Simon

See s.11(1A)(b), below. If your L is only a leaseholder of only your flat, he has no estate or ownership of the upper flat.
    Note that the Act [s.16] in effect defines 'dwellinghouse' to mean a building or part of a building (a flat).

11(1A). If a lease to which this section applies is a lease of a dwelling-house which forms part only of a building, then, subject to subsection (1B), the covenant implied by subsection (1) shall have effect as if:
    (a) the reference in paragraph (a) of that subsection to the dwelling-house included a reference to any part of the building in which the lessor has an estate or interest; and
    (b) any reference in paragraphs (b) and (c) of that subsection to an installation in the dwelling-house included a reference to an installation which, directly or indirectly, serves the dwelling-house and which either:
    (i) forms part of any part of a building in which the lessor has an estate or interest; or
    (ii) is owned by the lessor or under his control.

11(1B). Nothing in subsection (1A) shall be construed as requiring the lessor to carry out any works or repairs unless the disrepair (or failure to maintain in working order) is such as to affect the lessees enjoyment of the dwelling-house or of any common parts, as defined in section 60(1) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987, which the lessee, as such, is entitled to use.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks for the reply but I think you mis read my post. I'm the landlord of the top floor flat and its me who has had to move my tenants out.

Thanks

S

Comment

Originally posted by learnmorenow View Post
        Thanks for the reply but I think you mis read my post. I'm the landlord of the top floor flat and its me who has had to move my tenants out.
        Even so, are you:
        a. a long-leaseholder of one flat only; or
        b. the freeholder of the entire building?
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Thanks but what does that mean in simple terms?

Comment

Thanks but what does that mean in simple terms?
            What do you own? Is that not a simple-terms question? Look at your title deeds and documents and/or HMLR records.

Comment

Sorry, its a newish development (built 2005) and I have 120 years left on the lease.

S

Comment

Sorry, its a newish development (built 2005) and I have 120 years left on the lease.

S
                In that case, what's the hurry?
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Have you read the original question?

Comment

We know know (at last) that OP is a long-leaseholder. Section 11 applies:
                    a. as between him (as L) and his subtenant; but not
                    b. as between F and him (as long-leaseholder).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dogs
                      by royw
                      What does your AST say about it?
                      05-12-2021, 23:20 PM
                    • Dogs
                      by Bridge2020
                      My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
                      05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
                    • Advice on s.8 & s.21
                      by Hetty911
                      Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Would be grateful for advice on the below.

Have a tenant on a AST which expired in July and has rolled onto a periodic tenancy. Over past 6 months rent has been delayed, partial and on two occasions unpaid. 2 months rent is missing...
                      05-12-2021, 22:01 PM
                    • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                      by Hudson01
                      Unless the tenant has dependent children, some, or all with a disability, and some other form of vulnerability for her/him self..... they will be in a crummy emergency accommodation flea pit or a dumpy flat in a place resembling the film set of '' Escape from New York ''. They are deluded.
                      05-12-2021, 20:36 PM
                    • Accelerated possession order
                      by Pariah81
                      A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
                      05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
                      by theartfullodger
                      Thatcher's 1988 housing act makes it clear tenant does not have to leave at end of fixed term

Why help tenant take a council property from a more deserving case? I'd decline to serve s21. S8 if possible... (was she ever late with rent?)
                      05-12-2021, 19:17 PM
                      by Pariah81
                      Ok so it looks like the section 21 notice is invalid as a result of this error. The deposit scheme was not in place at the time of the notice.

Apparently the deposit has to be returned in full....
                      05-12-2021, 18:35 PM
                    • Reply to Dogs
                      by ash72
                      The good thing is they have asked you prior to getting one, so the decision is yours. If you do decide then I would suggest you increase rent to compensate for your loss in the future.
                      05-12-2021, 17:21 PM
                    • Reply to Dogs
                      by jpkeates
                      I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
                      You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
                      05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
                    • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
                      by jpkeates
                      Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
                      You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
                      And, you're right, don't renew it.

To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

If the tenant doesn't owe...
                      05-12-2021, 16:13 PM
                    Working...
                    X